Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:58 pm 

All the answers given so far I have already read on the forum. On the site of Marakele I can read that you have to use a 4x4. On the otherhand I have read some comments of travelers who were disappointed that there were so much tar roads in Marakale that you do not need a 4x4 anymore. Does anyone knows what is the best to do??

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:05 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Annelies,
The only thing I can think of at the moment is to email the Park manager. The contact address can be found on this page.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Marakele consists of two parts.

-) The part having the campside and the main gate can be accesses by 2x2. There a just a few minor roads which you can't access but the are marked as 4x4 only.

-) The other section can be accessed via the tarred road and heading towards the view point. If you want to stay in the tended camp you have to use the back door. As you have to report to the main gate anyway to get a map and the gate key. You are able to go the bush camp as well. There is just one part which isn't that comfortable to travel by 2x2. The rest of the roads are strictly 4x4 only.

Post subject: Info on Marakele NP
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:20 am 

Morning, I'm thinking of goning to Marakele NR in August, but I would like to know if its posible to drive the hole reerve with a 2x4. I read Johannes article on the 23 May, about the roads, would that be all the roads in the park.

If its posible, i'm looking for a map of the Park, the one on the website, gives only the tarred roads.If you can help me in this regards, please send map to jehanne_vh@yahoo.co.za.

Thanks

Post subject: Advice needed: Which 4x4 and travelling with children
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:34 am 

We are planning to visit SA next year for a month. This will be our 3rd trip to Southern Africa, however it is the first time with our children (then 2.5 and 4 yrs old).
I was wondering if anyone has experience/comments on travelling with kids in Marakele and Mapungubwe NP?
They are easygoing and good-mannered, and we do not want to sit and wait until they are 7+ to start travelling again. But of course we do not want to take unresponsible actions either.

Another question I have - as we want to visit abovementioned parks, we are renting a 4x4.
I got quotes for a:
-Nissan X trail
-Nissan Hardbody
-Nissan Double Cab

Can anyone tell me the difference between them and most importantly is a Nissan X trail suitable for abovementioned NP's? The car company said so, but I have some bad experience with a car company's advice.
We travelled in Botswana a few years back with a 2x4, as a hire company told us was possible - we managed but we did not feel comfortable. With our kids we obviously want to feel comfortable. On the other hand, we do not want to pay unneccessary costs either. And I presume that the roads in SA are not as rough/sandy as, say Chobe of Khutze in Botswana.

Your advice would be most helpful.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:47 am 

Have a look at the local Nissan website: :arrow: http://www.nissan.co.za/

It will give you a good idea; personally I would choose the X-Trail.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:52 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi cwolfsen and welcome

Nissan Website There is a link that reads "vehicles" you will find all the info there. I would reccomend the X-trail as well as it is similar to a Land Rover Defender 110. In other words a big station wagon type.

I can't comment on Mapungubwe, but Marakele is lovely. Great for kids as well and Malaria free. Many roads in Marakele has been upgraded and won't need a 4x4 anymore (From what I heard), but don't worry this post will get a million other answers before the day is out

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:44 pm 

The Xtrail should be fine. Neither of these parks really need a 4x4, but the extra ground clearance for vehicle and people are always a plus point. The Xtrail will have the most space for the kids etc and will do great.

We went camping at Marakele a couple of weeks ago with our 18month old. No problem(He has been camping since 4 weeks!).

What time of the year do you plan to visit? Mapugabuwe will be extremely hot in mid summer(December)

CATs
Live Life to the Fullest!
Pajero 3.2 Did

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:40 pm 

it is great to hear that travelling with kids is no problem.
We are actually thinking of either going April/May or August/September to avoid the heat and to have good wildlife views.
We will probably not go camping as we will take our mother, who is 70+ along, and she doesn't like it at all. However, we will go camping the next time after that for sure (since we have been camping twice before in Southern Africa)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just a thought, it seems you will be doing a lot of traveling. If you are not planing on bringing the car seats for the kids, most rental agencies have them available. I would suggest hiring a couple for peace of mind. The car seats also allow the kids to sleep in relative comfort (bring the blankys and pillows) without you being sat on or worrying about them falling off the seat. (Also cuts out on the fights :lol: )

A good idea is to buy one of those shoe pocket hanger things (available here or bring one) rig it so that it hangs between the front seats in reach of the kids in both car seats (attached to head rests with string is good). Fill the pockets with favourite toys, bottles, dummies and treats so that they are occupied and have a "self-service" style buffet.

Relieves the stress of always having to attend to someone and Gran will have a break too!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:08 pm 

Thanks for your tips on how to travel with our kids, I make sure to remember them! We were indeed planning on hiring car seats (they are mandatory anyway where I am from, so I was assuming they were needed anyway in SA too).

I asked a bit further at the carrental company and it turns out the Nissan X trail they rent out is a 2x4 after all.
Therefore, I was wondering why did you guys initially prefer the Xtrail over the Hardbody DC.
Anyway, it seems to me that I rather go for comfort and rent a real 4x4, i.e. Nissan Hardbody DC than a X-trail 2x4. What do you think?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

From my humble girls opinion - the X trail has the comforts of a car with the advantage of being high and tough! I drive a 4x4 (and have never used the 4x4 option myself - not even to climb a pavement) and am mad about the space for the kids in the back, the roomyness and the fact that I feel quite brave driving it! You'll love the extra height and won't even miss the other 2 whatsits (what ever they may be!)

Purely an Angels outlook - my muskateer could give you the mechanics, but that's like watching paint dry!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:40 am 

Quote:
Therefore, I was wondering why did you guys initially prefer the Xtrail over the Hardbody DC.

We have been going on holiday for years now with my Dad's Isuzu 2x4 DC. Not once was there any road we could not handle.

Since you will be coming in the dry season there won’t be the added problem of wet slippery roads.
[/quote]

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:05 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

cwolfsen wrote:
Anyway, it seems to me that I rather go for comfort and rent a real 4x4, i.e. Nissan Hardbody DC than a X-trail 2x4. What do you think?

A 4x4 isn't more comfortable than a 2x4 neccesarily. The X-Trail is more comfortable because its a bigger vehicle inside. You have the space of a station wagon inside with the added benefits of high ground clearance. The double cab 4x4 is the size of a car inside, but actually a bit more cramped in the back.

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:20 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It's defenetly not possible. There are threads in this forum talking about it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25  Next