Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Kids and Camping - Marakele
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:18 am 

Hi All,
Just a quick question. We are thinking of camping at Bontle (going North instead of South for a holiday!) and have two boys (2 & 7). Just wondering if the wandering wildlife may be in issue? We do camp but have never gone "unfenced". Any experience? Another question - how hot is it going to be end December/January?
Cheers
Sam

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:26 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Samantha and welcome to the forums!

We just camped at Bontle two weeks ago and the place was full of families including kids of all ages and sizes. Animals do come close to the campsite and one of us almost bumped into a white rhino on a previous occasion at night. During daytime it's mainly ostriches that are around on the camping ground. They're not really anything to worry about. I suppose parents keep track of where their kids wander of to anyway. The camp site is an awesome place for kids to discover wildlife from closeby, especially for your 7-year old!

It's likely to be very hot in December and January. Daytime temperatures sometimes go up as high as 40 degrees, but are more likely to be between 30 and 35. Also expect thunder showers in the late afternoon.

Hope this helps! :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:32 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Hi Samantha, :D

JoelR is absolutely correct, Bontle is a great place to camp!
There are no predators in that section of the park.
Enjoy your stay, you will love with Marakele! :dance:
(ps. Be on the lookout for Springhare in the camp at night. :wink: )

Post subject: Marakele - 4x4 Trail
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:48 pm 

Hiya fellow 'mites!

Anyone done the 4x4 trail in Marakele? We are going in August and would love to do it. I see on the SANParks site that there is a trail but I can't find much info on it...

Do we have to book to go on it? If so, where do we book & how far in advance do we have to book?

How long is the trail? A day trip or an over-nighter? How much does it cost? How many vehicles are required or can you do it on your own?
Anyone know the difficulty rating? Both my husabnd & I have off-raod courses & lots of experience but it's always best to ask before you go blikseming off into the unknown :wink:

sorry.. lotsa questions! :roll:

Thanks muchly guys, I would appreciate any advice you have for us.

Nats xx

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:19 pm 

Hi Nats, :D
You don't have to book the 4x4 trails, you can just take the road and drive it. Marakele is not a very big park and all the trails are short enough to drive within a couple of hours. Seeing that you've done a 4x4 course, you are more than qualified because they are mostly just bad road conditions although you might get the odd washout to get through.

See my Trip report, I included some maps which might give you an idea.
Enjoy Marakele, it's a great place to be! :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:50 pm 

JenB - you're a star!
Thanks so much :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:27 pm 

Hi,

We have camped at Bontle 3 times with our kids but perhaps they are a bit older than yours (?) ... 11 & 15 now.

Yes, the rhinos can come close but keep out of their path if they come near, keep still & keep quiet & they will not bother you, we have had a mother & baby rhino 50 metres from our tent but they're really not interested, we probably smell to them pretty bad so they tend to be on a bee line for the water hole in and out of the bush near the campsite. We have certainly not felt threatended by them but you must of course keep your distance ... may be difficult with younger kids but as a responsible parent I think you'll be fine ... we have seen many families with young kids whilst at Bontle ... the wild element really adds to your experience.

Some people like to camp at sites where there is a swimming pool, putt putt, shop, jungle gym etc ... you get none of that at Marakele ... which is precisely why people go there, its just you & the bush !

Go for it :-)

T.

Post subject: MARAKELE
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:30 am 

We plan on visiting Bontle for the first time during December and plan on staying 4 nights. I am a bit anxious as we normally go to Kruger. Is it worth it? Wont we be disappointed? I have a normal bakkie and believe that only a very small area is accesible for normal vehicles.
Can somebody please tell me which are the best camping spots in Bontle at Marakele?

Dries van Niekerk

Post subject: Re: MARAKELE
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:47 am 

Hi Dries, warm welcome to the forum! :D

Will you be disappointed? Well it depends. If you are going for an exclusive "Big 5" experience, you might be disappointed, no matter where you go. If you are after solitude, appreciation of nature and an overall relaxing time, you will be pleasantly surprised. I did a trip report because my fears were very similar to yours, I'm sure you will get a pretty good idea of what you can expect. :wink:

Please ask them to mark the 4x4 routes on the map you will receive at the gate, there are many km's one could travel in an ordinary sedan.

Enjoy your trip, Marakele is a very special place!

Post subject: Marakele Vehicle Requirements
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:38 am 

I'm in California trying to make arrangements for a December holiday trip with my SO who is currently based in SA. We are thinking of trying the tented camp in Marakele, but he doesn't have a 4x4. He has a Honda CRV that has pretty high clearance and supposedly has some kind over pseudo 4 wheel drive function. Will this be OK for the roads there or do we need to make other plans?
I've read some of the postings, but am not sure.... :hmz:
Thanks much

Post subject: Re: Marakele Vehicle Requirements
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:00 pm 

Nothing wrong with the Honda CRV. Most of the roads in Marakele are in exelent condition and a normal sedan can travel them.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:27 pm 

Hi Dries,

I don't want to be too negative but we visited Marakel last year after we've been many times to other parks in Zambia,Namibia and offcourse SA. And also many times to Kruger. Maybe our expectations were too high, but it is very small and although it should be big 5 area..we've only seen 2 ellies and 4 Rhino's. In the first part of Marakele lots of other animals (bokkies and zebra and so on) and the wild dogs were in a boma (not for visitors..) So yes we were a little disappointed. I prefer Kruger much more but I can imagine that other people don't share my vision... :hmz:

Ruud

Last edited by DuQues on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quotes

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:25 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It is a totaly different experience

I can not agree with ruud as far as disappointment goes. It is as if you are going to Wimbledon and expect to see Michael Schumacher.

Marakele is a totally different experience, we did not see the rhino, they came to see us, right in the camp, unlike other parks the lower section does not contain anything that wants to eat you and there are no fences around Bontle camp giving the animals free reign to come and go as they please, bringing nature right to your doorstep.

I do not doubt that there are elephant as I saw plenty evidence on the road but for once I was not preoccupied looking for them but rather finding the little orphans normally overshadowed by their presence. There is a myriad of smaller animals and plants that gives one the same if not more pleasure.

In my book there is nothing to compare with the peace and tranquility of Bontle with a steak sizzling on the fire and warthog , kudu, wildebeest and rhino doing their thing meters away from you without having a hyena begging for scraps.

Marakele is not Kruger it is different but well worth a visit. If you want a guarantee for the big 5 try Johannesburg zoo if you want to experience nature at its best try Marakele and as a bonus with a smaller park the staff are truly passionate about their park.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:10 am 

There you have it...... from the horses mouth!

Sparks! :clap: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:31 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Quote:
I have a normal bakkie and believe that only a very small area is accesible for normal vehicles.

Most of Marekele is now sedan friendly. They have upgraded the roads. Lovely park but not for the Big 5 seekers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 25  Next