Marakele: ADVICE

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele

Moderator: lion queen

Senyetse
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Senyetse » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:37 am

Hi Teresadfp and welcome! :D

This depends on what you all would like to see. For a first time visit I would suggest Kruger. Kruger is many many times larger, so Marekele cannot compare with Kruger when it comes to diveristy of wildlife and landscapes. Marekele is beautiful but your chances of seeing the big 5 are fairly slim. Don't get me wrong, Marekele is great but it is not a big game park. If your daughter wants to see elephants, lions, buffalo etc she will very likely be disappointed with Marekele. Kruger will deliver those particularly in the south of the park. Furthernore, Kruger also has more entertainment for a 10 year old - swimming pools, shops, picnic sites, restaurants. Marekele does not have many facilities.
Dec '11 - Storms River
June '12 - Berg-en-Dal

Ingala

Marakele - Malaria?

Unread postby Ingala » Mon May 12, 2008 12:20 pm

Hi,

This question has probably been raised before on this forum but I need to know if there is ANY risk of Malaria in the Marakele Park? I know that Kruger and Mapungubwe are listed on the site as te only risks.

In geographical locality it should be 100% safe? Not? :wink:

Thanks

Senyetse
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Senyetse » Mon May 12, 2008 12:42 pm

The chances of contracting malaria in Marekele are probably zero, unless someone has unknowingly transported a female Anopholes mosquito carrying the malaria parasite in their car/caravan/tent/whatever from a malaria area and it bites you (and the chances of that happening are very very slim).

Don't worry about malaria in Marekele.
Dec '11 - Storms River
June '12 - Berg-en-Dal

RichardS

Unread postby RichardS » Thu May 15, 2008 5:01 pm

Hi,

For future reference, you can have a look at the MARA maps.

www.mara.org.za

Cheers
“Most of my best memories come from some old dirt road.” - Anon

ruud

Kruger!!!

Unread postby ruud » Sat May 24, 2008 3:43 pm

Teresadfp wrote:Thanks for your answer! It's very helpful.

I've been in Marakele last year......... and sorry to say but I would rather go 2 days to Kruger then 1 week to Marakele.
It was very disappointing. Very small.
For us it was a mistake to go there.
So go for Kruger!!! :thumbs_up:

Ruud

Samantha

Kids and Camping - Marakele

Unread postby Samantha » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:18 am

Hi All,
Just a quick question. We are thinking of camping at Bontle (going North instead of South for a holiday!) and have two boys (2 & 7). Just wondering if the wandering wildlife may be in issue? We do camp but have never gone "unfenced". Any experience? Another question - how hot is it going to be end December/January?
Cheers
Sam

JoelR
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby JoelR » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:26 am

Hi Samantha and welcome to the forums!

We just camped at Bontle two weeks ago and the place was full of families including kids of all ages and sizes. Animals do come close to the campsite and one of us almost bumped into a white rhino on a previous occasion at night. During daytime it's mainly ostriches that are around on the camping ground. They're not really anything to worry about. I suppose parents keep track of where their kids wander of to anyway. The camp site is an awesome place for kids to discover wildlife from closeby, especially for your 7-year old!

It's likely to be very hot in December and January. Daytime temperatures sometimes go up as high as 40 degrees, but are more likely to be between 30 and 35. Also expect thunder showers in the late afternoon.

Hope this helps! :D

JenB
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.

Unread postby JenB » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:32 am

Hi Samantha, :D

JoelR is absolutely correct, Bontle is a great place to camp!
There are no predators in that section of the park.
Enjoy your stay, you will love with Marakele! :dance:
(ps. Be on the lookout for Springhare in the camp at night. :wink: )
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

_Nats_

Marakele - 4x4 Trail

Unread postby _Nats_ » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:48 pm

Hiya fellow 'mites!

Anyone done the 4x4 trail in Marakele? We are going in August and would love to do it. I see on the SANParks site that there is a trail but I can't find much info on it...

Do we have to book to go on it? If so, where do we book & how far in advance do we have to book?

How long is the trail? A day trip or an over-nighter? How much does it cost? How many vehicles are required or can you do it on your own?
Anyone know the difficulty rating? Both my husabnd & I have off-raod courses & lots of experience but it's always best to ask before you go blikseming off into the unknown :wink:

sorry.. lotsa questions! :roll:

Thanks muchly guys, I would appreciate any advice you have for us.

Nats xx
Treat the earth well... It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children.

JenB

Unread postby JenB » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:19 pm

Hi Nats, :D
You don't have to book the 4x4 trails, you can just take the road and drive it. Marakele is not a very big park and all the trails are short enough to drive within a couple of hours. Seeing that you've done a 4x4 course, you are more than qualified because they are mostly just bad road conditions although you might get the odd washout to get through.

See my Trip report, I included some maps which might give you an idea.
Enjoy Marakele, it's a great place to be! :wink:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Trelawney

Unread postby Trelawney » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:27 pm

Hi,

We have camped at Bontle 3 times with our kids but perhaps they are a bit older than yours (?) ... 11 & 15 now.

Yes, the rhinos can come close but keep out of their path if they come near, keep still & keep quiet & they will not bother you, we have had a mother & baby rhino 50 metres from our tent but they're really not interested, we probably smell to them pretty bad so they tend to be on a bee line for the water hole in and out of the bush near the campsite. We have certainly not felt threatended by them but you must of course keep your distance ... may be difficult with younger kids but as a responsible parent I think you'll be fine ... we have seen many families with young kids whilst at Bontle ... the wild element really adds to your experience.

Some people like to camp at sites where there is a swimming pool, putt putt, shop, jungle gym etc ... you get none of that at Marakele ... which is precisely why people go there, its just you & the bush !

Go for it :-)

T.

DRIESV

MARAKELE

Unread postby DRIESV » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:30 am

We plan on visiting Bontle for the first time during December and plan on staying 4 nights. I am a bit anxious as we normally go to Kruger. Is it worth it? Wont we be disappointed? I have a normal bakkie and believe that only a very small area is accesible for normal vehicles.
Can somebody please tell me which are the best camping spots in Bontle at Marakele?

Dries van Niekerk

JenB

Re: MARAKELE

Unread postby JenB » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:47 am

Hi Dries, warm welcome to the forum! :D

Will you be disappointed? Well it depends. If you are going for an exclusive "Big 5" experience, you might be disappointed, no matter where you go. If you are after solitude, appreciation of nature and an overall relaxing time, you will be pleasantly surprised. I did a trip report because my fears were very similar to yours, I'm sure you will get a pretty good idea of what you can expect. :wink:

Please ask them to mark the 4x4 routes on the map you will receive at the gate, there are many km's one could travel in an ordinary sedan.

Enjoy your trip, Marakele is a very special place!

CaliforniaGirl

Marakele Vehicle Requirements

Unread postby CaliforniaGirl » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:38 am

I'm in California trying to make arrangements for a December holiday trip with my SO who is currently based in SA. We are thinking of trying the tented camp in Marakele, but he doesn't have a 4x4. He has a Honda CRV that has pretty high clearance and supposedly has some kind over pseudo 4 wheel drive function. Will this be OK for the roads there or do we need to make other plans?
I've read some of the postings, but am not sure.... :hmz:
Thanks much

LouisNel

Re: Marakele Vehicle Requirements

Unread postby LouisNel » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:00 pm

Nothing wrong with the Honda CRV. Most of the roads in Marakele are in exelent condition and a normal sedan can travel them.

Return to “Northern Parks”