Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mapungubwe: GETTING THERE
Unread postPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:53 pm 

Bank on about 5 hours, depending on your route. I recently travelled to Pontdrift via Thabazimbi and Alldays, which is 100km longer than via Polokwane and Alldays and that took me 6 hours travelling time. 5 hours should be OK if you go via Polokwane and Alldays, depending on the traffic. Enjoy

Learn to use your equipment
and spend your time taking,
rather than processing images.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:16 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thanks Scott. I see you are from Fourways. I will actually be fetching my mother from Fourways as I leave. think my biggest concern is the first section of my trip and I am wondering whether to take the N1, Ben Schoeman highway, or the Krugersdorp freeway and risk the very narrow and unpredictable Diepsloot road.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi MM

I live near Fourways - Kyalami.

We go out on the R55 through Crowthorne, Olivenhoutsbosch on to the N14 Krugerdorp Highway. You could also go R511 onto N14 from Fourways. The road past Diepsloot is not too bad.

Your worst problem will be the roadworks on N1 past Pretoria, around the Atterbury off-ramp. Last time it took us one hour to get past Pretoria!! From there on you will have an easy run.

Last time we came back from Pont Drift it took approx. 5 hours.

Have a good trip.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:51 pm 

I use the road past Diepsloot each time I go to Pretoria, without any hassles. If you would prefer, go up Cedar, turn LEFT towards lion park, and then right towards Lanseria and use the onramp to the N14/R28 on the road to Lanseria, which is a bit longer but less taxi's. Remember to start your holiday from home rather than when you get to your destination. Makes for a more relaxing trip :D

Learn to use your equipment
and spend your time taking,
rather than processing images.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:00 am 

Hi Meandering Mouse,

We live in Fourways and we go via Hartebeespoort through Brits and out past Thabazimbi to Alldays. That route took us 7 hours taking into account the traffic from Brits to Fourways. For everyone's info there is a new petrol station 30km from Mapungubwe between Musina called the The Palms. Previously Alldays or Musina were the nearest places for petrol.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:48 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thanks everyone for your advice. This trip is taking me onto unknow territory and I am feeling very excited.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:48 pm 

Hi All,

We're going up over Easter, Thursday 1/4/10 to Monday 5/4/10. I was initially thinking of going up via Polokwane even though it would be a nightmare with the Zionist Church gathering.

Thanks to you guys I'll rather take the longer route via Thabazimi. I've camped in Marakele so I know that road.

This will be our first visit to Mapungubwe; we've read a lot about the park, and the info on these forums is great. We are really, REALLY looking forward to it.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:02 pm 
Guru
Guru

I can promise you that, you will have fun Mapungubwe is the best Heritage site we have in South Africa. have fun :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:24 pm 

Thanks Cassius.

Can you tell me what is the state of the Interpretation Centre. Is it open for visitors yet?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:35 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Neil, a warm welcome to you :D

I cannot sing Mapengubwe's praises enough. I am sure that you will have a wonderful time. I cannot comment on the interpretation centre... all that I can say is, you are in for a mystical experience.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:10 am 

Hi, All.

Doing a low budget (but not low-flying) camping trip to Mapungubwe and KNP in March. My 14-year old son can only think of one profession, and that is to become a PH. Need to teach him that hunting and conservation goes hand-in-hand, and maybe swing him completely over! Hope I can get it right on this trip!

Travelling from Johannesburg to Mapungubwe first. Would like to know which route is the recommended (least hazards, least stressfull, least tiring), Polokwane then Dendron, Alldays, or stay on the N1 up to Musina and then west to Mapubgubwe? I travelled both when visiting the Venetia Mine about 15 years ago, and if memory serves me right there were a few more intereting places to strech legs along the Alldays road (butcheries, farm stalls, etc). Both were very tiring!

Also, is the Tropic of Capricorn sign posted on any of these routes and is it safe to stop there for a photo? This is one of those educational musts for our 14-year old son!

Thanks

PLANNED 2013
Nothing yet :-(

DONE
Mapungubwe Mar '10 & Sep '10
Kruger Mar-Apr '10 & Nov '11
Augrabies Dec '06
Marakele +/- 8 months in early 90's, Dec '12
+/- 10 X day visits to Kruger ('86-'94)

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:00 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hey there besemsek.

The Dendron-Alldays route is easier and quicker. The part between Polokwane and Dendron is usually quite busy with vehicles on different speeds, so be careful overtaking. After that, it's a breeze. I find the N1 more stressful and filled with more impatient drivers, especially when crossing the Soutpansberg after Louis Trichardt. Having said that, because of the this crossing the N1 is a bit more scenic and it's better for baobab-spotting.

The Tropic of Capricorn is signposted on both roads, on the Dendron-Alldays road in Afrikaans (Steenbokskeerkring?). On the N1 there's a monument or something off the road, but I've never stopped there. It's no problem stopping safely on the Dendron-Alldays road. The people there are a friendly bunch - just watch out for traffic!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:59 pm 

Hi, JoelR.

Thank you for the quick response and input. We will go the Dendron, Allways route.

PLANNED 2013
Nothing yet :-(

DONE
Mapungubwe Mar '10 & Sep '10
Kruger Mar-Apr '10 & Nov '11
Augrabies Dec '06
Marakele +/- 8 months in early 90's, Dec '12
+/- 10 X day visits to Kruger ('86-'94)

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:09 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
We have been using the Polokwane - Alldays rout for years. (Even before the park times) and as long as you do not end up behind a truck that you can't overtake it's fine. The Dendron Musina route are a faviourate of the truckers coming through Beit Bridge and is very worn out by this traffic.

Alldays is easy. You leave Polokwane when you get to the T junction (in Alldays) you turn right, if you are going to the main gate you take the second "Musina" rd to the right. The first takes you to Venetia Mine. But the turn is clearly marked. Then as Peter Pan says straight on to morning (gate in this case) on you left.

Do yourself the favour and don't do the last bite after Alldays at 130km we have found the "gameviewing" along this road very good even spotted a leopard and have had to slow down for Kudu and warthog in the road.

When in Alldays and you have small children in the car stop are the Curio shop (t junction right first left on the left hand side) they sell small wooden animals that my kids love to play with and it "helps" with the build up to the big gameviewing.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:02 am 

We went up to Mapungubwe for the Easter weekend via Thabazimbi, Lephalale, Alldays. The road is in pretty good condition except for a stretch near where the road crosses the N11 which is badly potholed.

I was comfortably cruising at about 110 most of the way. An easy day's drive with plenty of time to set up camp at the other end.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next