Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mapungubwe: ROADS
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:26 am 

I will be camping at Mapungubwe from the 28th December. My vehicle is a VW Transporter 4 Motion. It does not have low range and I am concerned that if it is not suitable for the road conditions, I may miss out on seeing all there is on offer. I have seen numerous posts by people who have taken cars there and none of them have said that they were unsuitable. I do have a 4x4 Hilux, however the VW is far more suitable for the 1000km trip to and from Pietermaritzburg. We are really looking forward to this trip and hope to see lots of new birds !

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:19 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I haven't been there for a few years - we went once a couple of years back. We traveled most of the roads (east and west side) on a 4 day stay and on no occasion did I need to engage low range or diff lock (but then I drive a Landy :D ).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:36 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Dave Moore.

I have lived in the park for a year and never ever engaged 4x4 or low range of my Hilux. However, if you want to do the awesome ecotrail (officially 4x4) in the western section you will need high clearance and I am not sure if your VW Transporter is high enough. The same goes for the Kanniedood loop in the eastern section. So it's a tough call 'cause I know- 'cause I´ve paid the price :roll: - that your Hilux will drink a LOT on a 2x1000km trip...

Whatever you decide, enjoy Mapungubwe and the amazing birding over there! And welcome on the forums. :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

In my honest opinion I think that you need a 4x4 or at least a vehicle with high clearance to really enjoy and appreciate all that Mapungubwe has to offer. The eco and the 4x4 trails are an experience not to be missed.
The Den Staat road that connects the two sections of the park were badly corrugated in places, as were the roads in the eastern section.
While we were there it rained a lot and an ordinary car really would have had some trouble in places, especially in the western section.
We were the only people there with a conventional caravan and fortunately I got the information on the Forums to go back on the tar after booking in at the main gate and approach the campsite from the Pontdrift side.
What bothers me a bit is that the person at the main gate directed us to the Den Staat road, although we mentioned that we were towing a caravan.
We were thankfull that the roads dried off before we had to leave, otherwise we could have had a problem.

Post subject: Limpopo Forest Tented Camp
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:11 am 

Perhaps someone can advise.
I have booked at LFTC around end of October. I have been there before (Jan 2009) but that time travelled from Cape Town in my Nissan X Trail 4x4 and found the roads in both eastern and western areas of Mapungubwe to be no problem.
This time though, due to high petrol costs and time constraints, I intend to fly to Joburg and hire a car there - probably a Toyota Yaris or Nissan Tiida or similar. Does anyone have a comment whether I might have difficulties accessing LFTC in that type of vehicle - will there be any difficulty reaching Maloutswa Hide?
What is the condition of the road in the eastern part to get to the treetop walk and the confluence.
Hope someone can help.

Post subject: Re: Limpopo Forest Tented Camp
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I drive a Renault Clio and I've been there in both winter and summer. During summer the rain can cause some trouble but in winter you shouldn't have any problems on the normal roads with a sedan.

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:49 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Your driving options will be limited in the park itself.

Reaching the camp is not a problem since you can drive around the park on the tar round, and have limited distance on gravel.

But the "4x4" routes in the park will be off limits. I would even not travel some of the open routes in a small sedan.

The road to tree top and the confluence lookout will be doable in a sedan.

I don't think you need a 4x4. But a high clearance more rugged type of vehicle is a definite plus in Mapungubwe. If you spend some money to get there, it may be worth spending the bit extra on a vehicle which will give you much better access to the park.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:08 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Imberbe that sorts out a few problems for us as well.We have a Venture so at least we are high and will not attempt a 4x4 trail but I did want to get to the confluence and tree top walk .. Thanks for your advice

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Imberbe wrote:
Your driving options will be limited in the park itself.

Reaching the camp is not a problem since you can drive around the park on the tar round, and have limited distance on gravel.

But the "4x4" routes in the park will be off limits. I would even not travel some of the open routes in a small sedan.

The road to tree top and the confluence lookout will be doable in a sedan.

I don't think you need a 4x4. But a high clearance more rugged type of vehicle is a definite plus in Mapungubwe. If you spend some money to get there, it may be worth spending the bit extra on a vehicle which will give you much better access to the park.

Nobody told that to my Clio :tongue:
Seriously though, I travelled every 'open' road in that park with my small sedan and even a 4x4 road or two because of the non-existent signage. And there were quite a few other sedans around. I remember a fellow forumite being there at the same time in their Corolla.
Like Imberbe said it would be better with a high-clearance vehicle but it is not the end of the world if you don't have one. Big price differences in renting a normal sedan vs a SUV.

The road into the eastern side from the main entrance all the way past Leokwe & Treetop hide to the Confluence is sedan-friendly. So are the roads going further east from the gate towards Shroda dam.
The road into the western side up to the 2 camps and then on towards Maloutswa pan is also sedan-friendly.
Just take it slow and enjoy the scenery.

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:58 pm 

Thanks for your comments Imberbe and Johann. As Johan says it would of course be better in a high clearance vehicle but the cost of hiring that is a lot more than a smallish sedan.
I'm only in Map for 2 nights meaning 1 day so if I can get to LFTC and Maloutswa without problem I'll be satisfied - if there's time and I can get to the tree top walk and the confluence it will be a bonus.
I know I won't be able to do the other drives - but you always have to leave something for next time.
I reckon also at end of October there will be loads of ellies around LFTC so that will probably be thrill enough.
Thanks again
Phoenix