Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 439 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mapungubwe: ADVICE
Unread postPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:38 pm 

Is there any update on the road situation up north? We are planning to visit Mapungubwe at the end of July and then head East to enter the Kruger at Pafuri Gate. I know some of the roads were in a poor state but specifically what is the road like between Mapungubwe, Messina and Pafuri gate?

We have a 4x4 booked and are also wondering what the roads are like within the park after the floods earlier this year? Are they all open and do we need a sat nav to find our way round?

Thanks in anticipation!

Unread postPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:22 pm 

We plan to visit Mapungubwe in future (no dates yet).
From a previous visit (pre-SANParks) I know that during the dry season one can walk from Zimbabwe through the Limpopo right into Mapungubwe. We are caravanners and I see that the camping site is quite isolated.
What about illegals from Zimbabwe crossing the river?

Proud member of the Kruger Park Family

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:38 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
if you need any info on the roads what's open whats closed contact Mr Norman Mudau, the Hospital Services Manager. He's a star.

The illegals still come through the river but haven't been "trouble" but the best is still to keep your guard up, lock your caravaan when you go for a day trip.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:30 pm 

Hello
We will be in Mapungubwe in mid-August. There are news about the reopening of the Tree top and hides?
The road to Musina is now open?
I have a reservation for Campsite: is it really necessary to go before to the front desk or we can go directly at the campsite? because probably we'll be late because we come from Marakele and we would save us time and km.
Thanks for any new update

Gio

Lower Sabie 10/11/12 August 2014
Satara 13/14 August 2014
Mana Pools 16/17/18/19/20/21/22 August 2014
Hwange 25/26/27/28 August 2014
Pilanesberg 30/31 August 2014

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:37 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I wasn't at any of the hides but the tree top walk is open and closed it's just the last bit and the hide that is closed so you can still do the walk and sit at one of the benches allong the way.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:13 am 

How recently was that Net Ek? I phoned them a few weeks ago and they said the treetop walkway would be open start of July - not sure if they meant the whole thing plus the hide or just the walkway?

Still, the walkway is better than nothing!

Supposed to be going in a couple of weeks...

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:09 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thursday last week so that would be the 4 July

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:36 pm 

Hi

We have been to Mapungubwe several times.. but not after the roads got damaged due to the floods. Usually it was in excellent condition.

However the following:

The accommodation is very luxurious in comparison to KNP, at the same rate almost. Leokwe has a living room / kitchen open plan, BIG bedroom, bathroom with open/outdoor shower, enclosed verandah... its amazing. The same goes for the tented camp..its just its a TENT.. but very big and comfortable.

Both camps do have pools!

There is a fabulous archeological center!

There is also a Restaurant at Leokwe.

The treetopwalk is quite secluded and a must do.

Confluence views.. best in all parks!

4x4 routes are also a lot of fun.

Yes, it does not have shops, fuel etc, but the peace, quiet and game viewing is absolutely amazing. Its never crowded..

On our last night during our last visit there.. (tented camp), the camp was surrounded by more than 100 elephants (I stopped counting as we drove along the road (basically through the herd)..

Enjoy your stay!

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:50 pm 

Hello
The next week I will go to Mapungubwe and then I would like go in Zimbabwe.
Have you notice about the situation of the road to Musina ?
If the bridge is broked jet is it possible another road no too much long ?
I no would like arrive late at the Beitbridge border...
Another question : have you notice about the hides in the parks and their situation ?
Thanks a lot
Giovanni

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:48 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Sorry only saw this now.

If you want to travel from Map to Muzina and the bridge is still "down". There is one of the farmers at Weipe that allows you to drive over his farm. It's a detour but not nearly the extra 40 km to go around Venetia. Please just be friendly and adhere to the rules. I know they ask that you drive slowly ect. Some of us will want to use the detour as well and if this good willed farmer closes the way through it will mean alot more km to get theat shopping you need to do.

Post subject: First time Mapungubwe visit
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:59 am 

Hi all,

I'm visiting Mapungubwe for the first time next weekend. Can't wait!!

I have a few questions which I hope experienced Mapungubwe travelers can assist with:

First of all, wildlife. What to expect in terms of mammals in this park. Are there any "Mapungubwe specialties"? Rewarding drives, waterholes, hides etc.

We're staying at the Vhembe wilderness camp. What can you tell me about this camp? Is it unfenced? Can I expect to experience some wildlife in/around this camp at night? Or even during the day?

Anything specific you can recommend we bring to this wilderness camp? lamps? I think linen, cutlery, braai accessories are all available....

Facilities: where do you recommend getting diesel (50ppm or 500ppm are both fine), food and water? (We are moving into Thuli block when leaving Mapungubwe).

Then, as I said above, we're moving into Thuli block. Can you recommend a specific border post for moving between Mapungubwe and Limpopo river lodge? I'm guessing pont drift or platjan? Are there any problems with the river crossing this time of year? I believe both these border posts have no bridges.

Then, if there's any specific advice on Limpopo river lodge and/or Thuli block in general it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Pantoffel

Post subject: Re: First time Mapungubwe visit
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi PantoffelSlippers

We were in Mapugunbwe beginning of august this year for a short stay before crossing to Thuli block.
We stayed 2 nights in Leokwe camp.It was rather quiet and we had no so many sightings maybe due to the big event in the Thuli block between Botswana,Zim and South Africa at the same time : a biking race with 500 people around the Thuli blocks.I will write a trip report once I've finished the ongoing one
It was our third stay in Mapugunbwe and this time we stayed on the eastern side
We enjoyed the drive along the Limpopo river going to Zebra pan and back to Confluence viewpoints.The same road is going to Whembe where you will stay
But even if the sightings were less than usual we enjoyed a lot the scenery.It's amazing !
Those rocks ,baobabs and open landscape by the Limpopo are WOW.Even after 3 stays i this park I'm still :big_eyes:
If you are a birder the place is very very rich with a lot of species coming from Botswana and Zim.
I think even if I didn't stay at Whembe that as for other camps all equipment is provided
You have to buy food,drinks and diesel before you reach the camp as there is no shop or gasoline stand in the park.There is a small restaurant by the museum(stunning place) serving breakfast and lunch and selling some wood.It closes at 4pm.
We shopped in Alldays as the road to Musina was still closed after the flood in january.You'll see in the parks some consequences of this flood.The treetop hide is totally destroyed even if the treetop walk reopened.
Be careful with diesel as the place where you could buy between the park and Musina is closed forever (due to the mine expansion) and there is no place to buy on the botswanan side of the Thuli block.
Alldays is around 60 KM from the border where we crossed in Pontdrift.There was no water so it was quite easy to cross beginning of august.On the other side the roads are untarred but of a good quality and easy to drive.We did not see any shop or diesel before Mathathane in Botswana
We stayed in a lodge in Mashatu game reserve and there the sightings were :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
:thumbs_up:
Hope those information will help
Enjoy your trip :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

2014:
Golden Gate july 25th-27th,
Cambedoo july 30th-31th,
MZNP august 1st-4th,
Addo august 5-8th,
Tsitsikamma Storms River Mouth august 9th-11th , Ebb and Flow august 12th-14th
Bontebok august 15-16th
Agulhas august 17th

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Pantoffelslippers,

We stayed at Vhembe camp about 2 years ago (the weekend the Ausies knocked SA out of the Rugby world cup :cry: ) and found the area extremely dry at that time of the year. The camp is unfenced, therefore animals will move pass quite close to the camp. We spotted elephant below the camp and had a lovely time watching them while we sat like dassies on the rocks.

I've two important tip for you about Vhembe. The power can suddenly go down and leave you in darkness. The camp runs on solar power, but if the battery runs flat (not sure why in our case) you need your own back-up lights. We had a power cut at 8 pm, followed by lions roaring as we were walking back to the cabins (but no confirmation that what I heard were lions :twisted: ) The cabins are not to for from the kitchen area, but always best to see where you going when walking back.

The other one is be aware of baboons. They will come into the lapa / kitchen area and raid your food.

You will definitely enjoy the camp even if its dry and love Mapungubwe.

I cannot give you much advice on the border post as I have not enter there yet, but added some info from the internet. Limpopo River Lodge is near the Platjan border post:

Quote:
Directions via Pont Drift from Johannesburg to Tuli ..........

Driving from Johannesburg guests should follow the N1 to Polokwane then the R521 to Alldays. At Alldays take a right turn signed to Pont Drift. Cars can be left at the Pont Drift border post, and the short transfer to Tuli ......... is free of charge. If guests prefer to drive to the lodge, the lodge is approx. 5km away and signed from the Botswana border post at Pont Drift … please note that this is not possible when the Limpopo River is flowing, in which case guests can either leave their vehicle(s) at Pont Drift on the SA side and utilise the cable car to cross the Limpopo River and we’ll then transfer them to the lodge/camp; alternatively for those that wish to self-drive directly to the respective camps, please see the below directions via Platjan border (4x4’s required). When the Limpopo River is flowing the river must be crossed by cable car at Pont Drift (P35 per person per crossing - approx. 3 people and their luggage can be carried on the cable car) and vehicles left at the border post. Please note the Pont Drift border facilities open at 08:00 and close at 16:00 daily. There is a third party permit required for all foreign registered vehicles. The cost is approximately P130 per vehicle, payable at the border (vehicle registration papers required).

Directions via Platjan from Johannesburg to Tuli ..........

Please note that the Limpopo River crossing at Platjan is only a 3m wide causeway. If the Limpopo River is flowing too strongly, it cannot be crossed - the alternative then is to drive down to Martin’s Drift which is approximately three to four hour’s drive from Tuli Safari Lodge. The Platjan border facilities open at 06:00 and close at 18:00 daily. There is a third party permit required for all foreign registered vehicles. The cost is approximately P130 per vehicle, payable at the border (vehicle registration papers required). Follow the N1 north past Pretoria to Polokwane (Pietersburg). Turn left onto the R521 (sign post – Dendron). Follow the 210km route (north-west) Dendron-Vivo-Alldays. Drive through Alldays past the Bosveld garage. After 4kms there will be a sign post “Platjan” on the right hand side of the dirt road. Follow the sign to Platjan border post. From the turn off to the border is approximately 30kms. Cross the Platjan border post … at the T-junction turn right towards Tuli Wilderness / Talana farms. At the beginning of the tar road (on the left hand side), follow the tar road until you reach the sign Motlhabaneng, through the village of Motlhabaneng, pass the grave yard on your left, then you get to a fork in the road stay right. You will cross over into the North Eastern Tuli Game Reserve; carry on with the road until you get to a four way intersection. Turn left here, follow the road and you will go through a veterinary gate. Drive until you get to the Tuli ...... sign on a wooden board. Here you will turn right and follow the road that leads into the lodge.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:00 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
PantoffelSlippers, I really do recommend that you try the Mapungubwe Hill tour. It is quite a climb, so it is not for anyone with health problems. It will be an experience not forgotten.

We took a drive out to Pont Drift, just for curiosity. It is really not far from Mapungubwe. It is well sign posted.

The hide close to Limpopo tented camp is a must. In the dry season it is the main sourse of water for many creatures and there is a constant stream of animals.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:42 am 

We are going to Mapungubwe at the end of November. I was wondering what the status of the park is now? Have repairs on all the damaged hides etc been repaired? What type of game is around? Any ellies, lion?
Can't wait to get back there after a long stressful year :dance:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 439 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next