Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 452 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Any new developments happening at Mapungubwe?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We will be visiting the Mapungubwe park in July, I contacted the manager and he told me the bookings for the trails would be up and running by April this year.

Post subject: The Vhembe Wilderness Trail, Mapungubwe National Park
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:49 pm 

The Vhembe Wilderness Trail, Mapungubwe National Park
We would like to go to Mapungubwe National Park and pearhaps make this trail. Dear reader can you give us any information.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:22 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi there,
we will be doing the trail in July, can provide you with more info after that.
On the Mapungubwe part of the Sanparks site you'll find some general information about the trail, which are now up and running.

Post subject: Accommodation in Mapangubwe
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi
I would like to find out from someone who also took their family to Mapangubwe re how they managed the accommodation. Now if you have a family as large as mine, you will understand. We are 8 adults and 6 kids who would love to go to Mapangubwe for a change from KNP. There are only 2 family cottages at Leokwe and in the other cottages they only allow 2 people (no extras allowed) ? Does that mean we have to put the kids alone (2,2) in a tent? Why are matresses not allowed for 1 extra kid with 2 adults? The cottages are big enough?

Even the Limpopo tented camp is a problem as they ONLY take 2 people per tent...
Maybe someone can help! :)

Post subject: Re: Accommodation in Mapangubwe
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:59 pm 

muldooy wrote:
Hi
I would like to find out from someone who also took their family to Mapangubwe re how they managed the accommodation. Now if you have a family as large as mine, you will understand. We are 8 adults and 6 kids who would love to go to Mapangubwe for a change from KNP. There are only 2 family cottages at Leokwe and in the other cottages they only allow 2 people (no extras allowed) ? Does that mean we have to put the kids alone (2,2) in a tent? Why are matresses not allowed for 1 extra kid with 2 adults? The cottages are big enough?

Even the Limpopo tented camp is a problem as they ONLY take 2 people per tent...
Maybe someone can help! :)

Take up camping...what a brilliant way to bring up kids.. We took Rob my eldest to Kruger at 3 months the best age to break them in as they sleep a lot. He has now been to Kruger over thirty five times in his 23 years all of them camping. We camped at Nossob once when he had his first birthday and Gus Mills and family threw a party where Margie Mills made him a cake in her gas oven at their Nossob House and stuck a big wax canle in the middle and all his friends (guests)were Bushman staff kids..... We will never forget our camping holidays. Having said that does Mapangubwe have camping?

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Have a look at this post about camping at Mapungubwe (although it is inconclusive - hopefully a bounce will get some more info).

BTW, if you have never been to Mapungubwe, it's the one park all South Africans should visit (to get a sense of place as much as enjoying the wildlife and wilderness).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:43 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks guys, I believe I had my share of camping for the moment. We used to have a Brakhah off road caravan and did lots of trips to Botswana and Namibia. Before the caravan we toured Namibia for 28 days in a rooftop tent! Wonderful memories!
The problem with this visit to Mapangubwe is that we are so many people (13 in total).

I understand they are busy looking at opening a camping site somewhere in Mapangubwe. Not sure when it will be operational.

Post subject: General advice
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I wish to visit Mapangubwe , preferably April next year. I need some general advice about the park in terms of accommodation, any recommendation? Further more, what are the 'must-do' activities if one is staying there for lets say 4 nights? I assume game driving is much more down-toned than in KNP...?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:25 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wildman, it all depends on your budget really. Limpopo Forest Tented Camp and Leokwe are about the same cost, but LF only sleeps 2 people per tent whereas Leokwe have larger units. If there are several of you, I'd highly recommend renting out Tshugulu Lodge for a couple of nights. Its a very special place which you have all to yourself, complete with 4x4 trail which passes through incredible scenery. It's about the same price as renting one of the guest houses in the KNP but far more exclusive as nobody else can even enter the part of the park that Tshugulu Lodge is in. On our trip to Mapungubwe in May last year, we spent 2 nights at Tshugulu, 1 at LF and 1 at Leokwe. I wish we'd had more time as there are far more roads over on the Leokwe side of the park and some of the drives are really beautiful. Please bear in mind that in order to get the most out of the park, you will need to use a 4x4. Plans are in the pipeline to upgrade a lot of the roads, but currently they are pretty lumpy and bumpy.
When we were there, I have to say the game viewing was not fantastic, but what we saw was interesting and the scenery is spectacular. Its also far quieter than even the north part of the KNP.
We didnt do the Mapungubwe Hill tour but I've been told that it is a must do. There is a lot to see at Mapungubwe and as all the camps are unfenced, it's nice to just chill out at the camp. Funnily enough the part I found most UNsatisfying about the park was the drive along the Limpopo in the Leokwe side of the park. As it is the border between SA, Zim and Bots, there is a large and conspicuous fence all the way along the river bank. Necessary, but a shame as the views are stunning along there.
Hope this helps. There's some pics of the park and accommodation on our website (click the "www" link at the bottom of this post).

Post subject: Many thanks!
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Many thanks Krok!
A really good and informative reply - its always better hearing it from someone who's 'been there and done that!' I will look into the lodge option - the budget is not great but maybe a night there and a few nights elsewhere will do the trick. I have heard so many good things about Mapungubwe that we decided that it should be the next SanPark we visit! I realise that the park is still in its baby phase, although rich in history and once a prolific game section, plans to slowly re-introduce more game into and expand the size of the park are already in motion. I have a feeling though, as you eluded to, that the park is about a lot more than just game viewing - sounds to me that its the scenery, isolation and rustic atmosphere that takes the cake. Can't wait... :roll:

Post subject: Best accomodation in Mapungubwe
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Can someone give me advice on which accomodation to book for an intended visit over Xmas ? I am trying to find maximum peace and tranquility , but without having to travel too far in the park for sightseeing etc , and I preferrably dont want to hear or see activities from outside the park , especially from the camp .

Limpopo tented camp:

Is it far to travel to other areas , I read that one has to exit the park in order to access the eastern areas ?

What is the game viewing like in the west vs the east ?

Is there a good view from the tents ?

Leokwe camp :

Is it likely to be peacefull ( aircon noise , casual sightseers , noise from swimming pool area ,..)

Vhembe trails camp :

Is it better and more peacefull than other camps ?

Generally :

Am I likely to see or hear noise cars from tourist roads or adjoining farming activities in any of the camps ?

Is ice and firewood / charcoal available ?

Are the fridges effective ?

Any info will be appreciated !

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Andrew and welcome!!

Have you seen Freda's trip report? It should answer some of your questions. Have a great trip! Mapungubwe sounds like a very special and interesting park!

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:26 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hello andrewschaf!

Peace and tranquility are a guarantee in Mapungubwe so don't worry about that - you will have to 'travel' a bit but most of it will be a gamedrive anyway! 8)

The Limpopo Forest Tented Camp is in located in the beautiful riverine forest of the western section. It is very close to the Maloutswa game hide - which is good for gameviewing. Around the (unfenced) accomodation you can look out for elephant, giraffe, kudu, waterbuck, bushbuck, impala, warthog, duiker and on the nearby plains jackal, zebra, blue wildebeest and more. It is half an hour drive from the main gate - the place to enter the eastern section of the park.

Gameviewing is this part of the western section can be very rewarding - especially is all the mud puddles from the last rain have dried up (which I don't know because I'm only goging back this afternoon). The loops in the eastern section are also rewarding and I would advise any visitor to try and see both parts of the park.

Leokwe Camp is peaceful and set against an amazing backdrop of sandstone rocks. Aircon noise depends on yourself switching the bedroom aircon on or off. The place is set up really spacious and you won't experience much noise from neighbouring chalets and definitely not from the swimming pool area. Casual sightseers can't go to Leokwe Camp. Remember - this is not Kruger. Mapungubwe always looks empty, even if it is fully booked! You won't hear any noise from tourist roads or farms.

Vhembe Trails Camp is not a better camp but can be the ultimate peaceful experience. This depend on other bookings because the huts are closer together than in the other camps and they are smaller. Inquire at reception about availability.

Basically you have to bring everything yourself - including ice and furewood/charcoal - wood is sometimes for sale but don't count on it. The fridges (plus small freezer) work fine though.

So maybe I will see you around in Mapungubwe, adrewschaf! I hope the info helps you to make up your mind! :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:11 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

That is more or less what I told andrewschaf in the PM :wink: I would go for Limpopo Tented camp just because lovely Maloutswa Hide is so close.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 452 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31  Next