Skip to Content

Mapungubwe: CAMPING

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele
ianimal

Mapungubwe: CAMPING

Unread postby ianimal » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:26 pm

Could someone please tell me if they know if there will be camping facilities at mapungubwe in the future.I understand that the park is still very much in a development phase but it would really benefit them from a revenue point of view if they could implement some camping facilities , especially for bigger families this is the only affordable option and i really want to visit this park a.s.a.p.Please shed some light.
"Only when we understand nature will we understand ourselves"

Krokodile
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Krokodile » Fri May 20, 2005 12:35 am

Hello again ianimal

I've just got back from Mapungubwe and asked at reception about any plans for a campsite. You may be pleased to hear that one is in the pipeline and should be open in the near future (they could not give a date). The campsite will be located at the current Limpopo Forest Tented Camp, which is absolutely beautiful with abundant birdlife.

Hope this helps. Will be posting a report on my stay at Mapungubwe as soon as I can, but as I'm off to the KNP tomorrow early morning, a full report may have to wait until I'm back in the UK.

wapenga

Unread postby wapenga » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:27 pm

i have recently been in Mapungubwe working as a volunteer and have been at the location of the proposed campsite. it is in the same area as the tented camp but not close enough to be visible from or to cause any extra noise pollution for those staying at tented camp.

JoelR
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

February 2007...

Unread postby JoelR » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:01 pm

February 2007... is the date that the campsite @ Mapungubwe National Park is expected to open. It will be located in the riverine forest in the western section of the park, close to the tented camp. This place is a favorite hangout for elephant, giraffe, waterbuck, bushbuck, impala, warthog and many more! Work on the campsite is currently in progress.

Cheers,
Joel
GVI Volunteer
Mapungubwe NP

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:13 pm

Hi Joel and Welcome!!

I know there are quite a few forumites who will welcome your news on the new camping area at Mapungubwe. It sounds from all reports like an amazing park and I hope to visit one day.

Sandy, our Augradies guru, has told us a bit about the GVI program and it sounds most rewarding — and challenging. For me as a long-time overseas visitor, it's nice to see overseas volunteers contributing to SA's extraordinary parks 8)
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town
29 November-20 January Darling

JoelR
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby JoelR » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:24 pm

Here are some cool pix of the campsite that's currently being built in Mapungubwe! :shock:

Can you see what creatures are looking for shade behind the brand new water tap?

It's these big fellows!

Like I said before, camping @ Mapungubwe will be a true wilderness experience! 8) Together with ellies & antelopes in this beautiful riverine forest.

The facilities are currently being finished...

And who doesn't want to spend a night or 2 or 3 or 4 under this big nyalatree???

I would :arrow: :!:

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:56 pm

Mazhou Camping Site
The Mazhou Camping Site in Mapungubwe National Park will be opening to the public on the 1st of March 2007.
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

JoelR
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: camping

Unread postby JoelR » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:35 pm

Pavlik88 wrote:do you know, if we can get wild card at the entrance gate to Mapungubwe?
are there now more gates?

Yes, you can get a wild card at the main entrance, which is the only gate you can go through to enter the park! Can't wait to go back to Mapungubwe myself! :D

Well actually... the western section does not have gates, but cattle grids because of a public (gravel) road that goes through it. Better obtain a permit first at the main gate though, otherwise fine rangers like Stefan, Alek, Daniel or Bianca will get you. :twisted:

JoelR
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Camping @ Mapungubwe

Unread postby JoelR » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:23 am

naomi c wrote:We are going to Mazhou at the end of the year with a caravan. Our towing vehicle is 4x4 but our caravan is not. What distance must one travel on gravel road to the campsite and will it be a problem for a conventional caravan?

Hi naomi c!

With a caravan you should drive around the park and just one kilometer before the Pontdrift borderpost turn right on the gravel road that is signposted Den Staat. You´ll have to drive 3 to 4 bumpy kilometers along some farms (but already start checking for Kori Bustards etc :wink: ) - just take those very slow. After you have passed the cattle grid into the park the road to the campsite is quite rocky for half a kilometer more, but already much better. In the riverine forest the sandy roads are no problem - except for one awfully disguised speed bump... Don´t forget to turn left 200m after the cattle grid. :)

naomi c
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Camping @ Mapungubwe

Unread postby naomi c » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:59 am

JoelR

Thnx for your prompt reply. I was getting a bit worried as on the information page on Mapungubwe it states that caravans are not allowed into the Park due to the condition of the roads. (Have only picked this up today.)
I hope that this is not valid any more as I have already paid the deposit on this reservation. I would like to know beforehand if I should start looking for a tent to borrow.

JoelR
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby JoelR » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:12 pm

I think the caravan ban is to prevent game viewing (in the Eastern Section) with a caravan, which would indeed be ridiculous in Mapungubwe. However, Mazhou is easily reached from the Pontdrift direction and is situated in the Western Section. The Den Staat gravel road that runs through that section is a public road, so even game viewing can´t officially be banned. :lol: Anyway, the Accomodation page clearly says the campsite is for caravans too!

JoelR
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby JoelR » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:33 pm

Senyetse wrote:Can anyone tell me what the camping facilities are like? Communal kitchen, stove, freezer, braai? The website mentions only a power point.

We leave early tomorrow morning. :dance:

Hi Senyetse!
The sites each have a power point, water tap and rubbish bin. There is a simple communal kitchen with a 2-pit electrical stove and dish washing facilities but no fridge or freezer. There are a number of movable braais on the campsite, which you can snatch. They´re quite heavy, so you might want to ask a elephant to give you a trunk... :wink:

Enjoy your stay!

JoelR
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby JoelR » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:02 pm

Senyetse wrote:I'm not really very well acquainted with elephantese so before I unintentionally cause insult, I'll take my small portable braai just in case :wink: :lol:

The ellies are very docile but also very busy the whole day, so not sure if they´ll have time for braai moving. So a small braai might come in handy :lol: :lol:

Senyetse wrote:I'm really looking forward to it - this will be a weekend of birding birding and more birding 8)

Sounds stressful 8) Say hi to the Tropical Boubous from me.

Senyetse
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Senyetse » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:24 am

So we returned safe and sound (but vry stressed - traffic on the N1 yesterday was a nightmare). I'll upload some pics when I get some time. Here are some of our thoughts on the park and the campsite. You check in at the main gate and then have to follow a badly corrugated gravel road for about 20 km to the camp site. The camp site is lovely and the area reminds one of the Pafuri area in KNP. The 10 shady camp sites are arranged in a circle around the small ablution building. Each camp site has its own tap, dustbin, light and power point. There is no need for long extension cords. The ablution building is a bit small - 2 toilets, 2 showers and 2 basins are supplied. There was quite a jam in the mornings. There is also a tiolet, basin and shower for the disabled. The 2 basins are situated right next to each other on the outside - there are no deicated ladies/gents. My wife felt quite uncomfortable about having to brush her teeth and do what women do in fron of the mirror so openly. Quite a few people complained about the small size of the ablution. It was not really a problem to me though.

The camp site is enclosed by a fence with 2 strands of electriifed wire to keep out the elephants but will let everything else through. The camp attendant knocked off at baout 2 pm every day so there was no one to close the "gate" at night. On Friday night the camp ran out of water and a group of campers decide to walk to the Limpopo forest tented camp to get help. We thought that was quite a dangerous activity since we had seen elephants close to the area that afternoon. The camp attendant had also seen two lions at the forest camp a few days before. On their return these people told their fellow campers how they had scared a baboon troop out of the trees and how the animals were defecatng as they ran. They thought it was extremely funny. The water was later restored much to the relief of some very irate campers.

The next night this same group again set of into the bush armed with torches to show see if they could scare the baboons once again. I shudder to think what would have happened if these people had met the elephants or lions along the way. We all know how difficult elephant are to see at night.

We also visited the eastern section of the park. I must say that it is a bit far to travel to get to that side from the camp site . The western section feels like a farm, with many areas beig rehabilitated. The eastern section is beuatiful and worth the visit.

To be continued...
Dec '11 - Storms River
June '12 - Berg-en-Dal

Jakkalsbessie
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Jakkalsbessie » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:02 am

Senyetse wrote:On Friday night the camp ran out of water and a group of campers decide to walk to the Limpopo forest tented camp to get help. We thought that was quite a dangerous activity since we had seen elephants close to the area that afternoon. The camp attendant had also seen two lions at the forest camp a few days before. On their return these people told their fellow campers how they had scared a baboon troop out of the trees and how the animals were defecatng as they ran. They thought it was extremely funny.

Interesting you hear other people's view on the park. I must say i loved every bit of it... Eastern and Western side and would go back any day!

I agree with you 100% about the dangerous situation Senyetse. We stayed at Limpopo forest tented camp. On Thursday night there was some elephants drinking at the water hole at #5 and we could hear them all around the camp. We also heared lions roaring and hyenas and jackal (was awesome all the night sounds 8) ), so dangerous walking around indeed.
On Friday night the elephants were also close by... when we arrived back from the sunset drive just before 8 there were ellies all around the camp. And yes it was very difficult to see them as it was extremely dark that night :roll:

Shame poor baboons :x i don't know why people like that go to nature reserves and parks!

That specific troop of baboon posed for us for some nice pics in the golden early morning light :D
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
Please help save Mapungubwe NP - Facebook page

Return to “Northern Parks”