Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:23 pm 

Hi, Most of the Eastern section shouldn`t be a problem with your Corsa. On the western side you will be limited to the roads around the campsite and safari tents. The river loop may be a problem if it rains as will all the side roads off the Den Staat road. I wouldn`t venture near the 4x4 eco trail at all. Like any dirt road, most of the roads around the campsite and tents are pretty good if it hasn`t rained, they become nasty when wet though and you may have some problems. Just remember that if you are camping, there is firewood available at the tented camp. The website does not mention this and you may end up carrying things with that you didn`t have to. Plus it`s hard to beat genuine bushveld firewood! Can`t wait to get back to Mapungubwe again. I was glad to see that they have counted around ten lions in the western section.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:10 am 

Thanx for the info dave

Kind regards
Cliff

Post subject: Re: Mapungubwe: CAMPING
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

hi Cliff,
just returned from mapungwabe and camped for two nights...
A few things to point out, the camp site is small which is good but..the toilets have open tops which my wife wasnt keen on as anyone close can hear you...baboons were a problem for people silly enough to leave food outside....there were not enough braiing facilities, we had to share.....plug sockets are normal and you dont require the big blue plugs and leads....the main gate is 30mins away via the main road, dont bother with the den staadt road there is no abvantage at all.....the bird hide is great and 5 mins away.....elephants between the camp and hide can be awkward as it is a small road with lots of trees etc...the river road in the east is fine in 2x4 high clearance vehicle but i wouldny like to risk it in a normal car...we went on a morning drive that took us around the east section, we saw eland, lots of klipspringers as well as other game and fresh leopard and lion prints on the road. ( will be posting a trip report soon). Personnally i think 2 days is enough at the moment until the open out the park and the new museum.
hope that helps

john

Etosha - August 2014

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:21 pm 

I reckon Mapungubwe is a nice small reserve away from the crowds. Still good game viewing possibilities. You will probably hear lion + hyena at night but we did not see them during the game drives. The heritage tour guide spotted a leopard though.

The hide close to the Forest Camp and campsite is great for Elephant sightings. Last July we have had 50-100 Elephants (several family groups) drinking and playing in the mud. Excellent photo opportunities.

Roads in an Opel Corsa could become a bit of a problem if you want to drive along the river / fence. It's also a bit narrow and a normal car will pick up some nasty scratches (we used a Land Rover and did not bother to much). All the other tracks up to the confluence point are fine with 2x4.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:51 pm 

Hi, I just need some info, as we will be visiting Mapungubwe in October as part of an extended Parks tour. One of the couples in our group will be travelling in a sedan car and caravan, and reading throufh the forum I gather that it will be better entering the park for camping from the western side. As we will be approaching from Alldays, after visiting Marakele, will it be necessary for us to book in at the main entrance first and then double back to the Den Staat entrance to Mazhou, or can we go straight to Mazhou? (Save some time and KMS!)

Any info will be much appreciated!

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:19 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi pvheerden

You will have to check in at the main gate first and will then have to drive back to the campsite. There is no reception at the campsite.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:33 pm 

Hi Senyetse

Thank for the quick response. will do! :)

Regards

Pieter

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:05 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Pv..

I would be tempted to go and pitch your caravan if you have already a reservation, then drive to reception and if you have time you can then goto the tree top walk etc.

If you dont have a 4x4 there isnt that much you can drive around and even the sedan roads looked to rough for our VW polo estate.
We spent lots of time at the birdhide by the campsite it was great.

Watch out for monkeys in camp and at night check out the bushbabies..so cute.

Also ellis in the trees by camp can appear from nowhere as you go back and forth to the hide so be careful, they had young when we were there so doubly excitable.

Here are some pics to illustrate the above

Etosha - August 2014

Post subject: Mapungubwe - camping
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:34 pm 

Hi there -
Planning to go camping at the Mozhou camp site in March - can anyone give me an update on what the facilities are like there? Have camped alone at Karoo National Park and felt very relaxed and loved it. Assuming that it will be the same at Mozhou.
When is the rainy season - i.e is it possible that I will have a wet camping experiance?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Mapungubwe - camping
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi robynanne,

Have a look HERE for a lot of info & personal stories about camping at Mazhou. It's a awesome little campsite in a beautiful riverine forest. It might rain in March, but it doesn't rain a lot in Mapungubwe and if it does it's usually a heavy downpoor late afternoon/early evening.

Enjoy!

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:01 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi robynanne

The tented camp in the Western section of the park caters for 10 caravans/Tents. Each camping site is equipped with a power point. Guests intending to stay over at Mazhou Camping site are the check in at the Mapungubwe Mauin Gate

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:24 am 

thanks for the replies

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:04 pm 

Have been watching the campsites at Mazhou. Had not got round to booking as was not sure if i was going to spend 3 or 4 nights. There were 10 sites available for the whole of March so was really not concerned when I ran into internet problems and could not complete my booking last week. Went to book today and was dismayed to see that nothing was available till 25 March - 3 days after I will arrive.

Phoned Mapangubwe to be told that the campsite was undergoing renovations and was now closed!

I am hoping that I will be able to get a cabin as had not budgeted on staying in a cottage - plus far prefer camping.

So holding thumbs and waiting to see if there are any cabins available.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:23 pm 
Guru
Guru

Yes that is true the camp is under renovation and that will take the hole month of March we are expecting that the camp should be working in April should there be any changes we shall communicate that effective immediately working.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:54 am 

Have got a booking at Vhembe wilderness camp. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get to Maloutswa hide from there? Would love to spend an early morning there but concerned that it may take too long to get across to that side.

Do parts of the park close i.e. booms across roads at certain times.? A whole bunch of us got locked out at Karoo national park - so at least we were all in the same pickle together - and managed to get out eventually. (most of us had missed the sign that said it closed at 6.00 - and those that did had completely underestimated how long it would take to get back to the gate)

Only one more week till i get there - can't wait!

thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next