Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dogs vs. birds in Knysna Estuary
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:29 pm 

A beautiful evening here in Knysna and I've just watched two adult dogs chasing sea birds on the south side of Leisure Isle for about 20 minutes or so. The tide is low, and there's plenty of sand for them to run about on and they've had a lot of fun. But I imagine that's more than the sea birds - egrets and gulls - have had. No damage to the birds - I've seen this behaviour from many dogs here and never yet seen one catch a bird. But the birds are wild creatures, in their natural habitat, feeding, and it happens to be a national park.

I'm just wondering what the SANParks rules say about this? I know that in the UK it is strictly against the law to allow a dog to chase sea birds - and the law is enforced.

I write this as an owner of two dogs - while I do allow them to run off the lead, I don't when there are sea birds present.

It must also be noted that the birds themselves fly off when chased, move 50 or 75 metres up the beach and resume feeding. No apparent harm done....

I'd welcome views/opinions as to whether there really is a problem here - or does it just exist in my imagination?

Many thanks.

Chris

Post subject: Re: Dogs vs. birds in Knysna Estuary
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:34 pm 

I think the problem you have done to it. The dogs that are not aware of them chasing other birds is wrong. The owner of the dogs where also able to control this. We are animals, and they act the way they