Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Newbie needs advice on where to stay: parks, etc.
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:49 pm 

Hello, all. I'm the travel guide for our party of two and I'm in a quandry.

We will be traveling throughout SA (3rd time for me, 2nd for hubby) and we have 7 days from arriving in PE to make it to Cape Town before we head off to the Kgalagadi. Before we arrive in PE we will have already spent 2 weeks in the KNP area, doing both self-drive and "budget" all-inclusive safari camp.

Our home is in the USA, Florida, to be exact, where we are fortunate enough to enjoy lots of tropical marine life and fine beaches--although flat land, to be sure--as well as our Everglades National Park. Hence, we are seeking something different--mountains, big game, desert, cool air--basically, what we don't find here at home. Also, we have been to Alaska and Hawaii and seen whales on both trips. Not to say we wouldn't mind seeing them again, but it's not our primary purpose in travel.

I need suggestions on where we should stop between PE and Cape Town. This is what we know thus far:

>> 1 night (or 2) in a quaint vineyard community, perhaps in a small town setting?

>> 2 nights in a camp in the Garden Route National Park--and this is where I need your help. Under R1300 night

>> 1 night (maybe) enroute in an interesting place, maybe a farm? A treehouse lodge?

>> Cape Town itself, we may need to stay outside of the city and take a train/metro in, as we are operating on a budget. Any suggestions of a suitable location? The nightlife of the city itself is not a major draw, nor are we the high-roller types who spend thousands at exclusive restaurants. So maybe somewhere outside of the city, near the National Park/Reserve would be a better idea?

We are trying so hard to avoid what we see in Florida: mile after mile of concrete resorts, hotels, resorts, and spa retreats with tennis courts and landscaped grounds.

Thank you for all of your input.

Post subject: Re: Newbie needs advice on where to stay: parks, etc.
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:38 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Well, lts start

(1) from PE travel along the N2 towards the Storms river ... I suggest stay at the storms river part of the garden route national park .. a great choice of accommodation from basic forest huts to rather nice chalets ... Check the rates under availability The scenery is magnificent and not a gator in sight !!!! Lots of great wlaks to the suspensions bridges Or to the top of the hill with views of the ocean and cliff ..

(2)Book one night at the Knysna chalet in the harkerville forest .. this chalet over look s the forest and has all amenities such as Jacuzzi , big fully equipped kitchen two beeeg bedrooms BBQ on the deck , dish washer , washine and tumble dryer .. Just have to take in food as its self catering.. Oh it also has TV.

(3) Stay at the wilderness Ebb and flo camp . they have wooden chalets and also very basic round huts ( en suite .. but the views are super and lots of birdies and good walks up to waterfalls ..
(4) there are plenty of wine farms and accommodations near tulbach / or the Stellenbosch area ..

(5) Cape town How about staying in one of the table mountain national park cottage there are two very reasonable ones in the Cape Point area .
(6) or on the way up to the north stay one night in the west coast national park .. at maybe Abrahams kraal cottage Very basic with solar electricity gas stove but has nice hot showers and a lovely view over to the bird hide and is soooo quiet .
I hope that helps and happy planning

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:12 am 

Thank you for the N2 suggestions.

A family friend just emailed me to to take the Route 62 itinerary. It, too, looks delightful.

Is there some point where I can merge the N2 and the Route 62 and see a little everything?

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:19 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
FAC Member (2014)
kimanjome, a warm welcome to the Forum and hope we could assist in making your stay a pleasurable and memorable one. :dance:

Hugh got some great suggestions which you can consider.

To assist with what you can expect in the Garden Route area i.e. Storms River/Tsitsikamma and Widernis areas, you can have a look at my trip reports and you can decide where which area appeals more to you considering what you already experienced. If you need specific info, please pm me and I will gladly assist.

Storms River
Wildernis - Birding & Canoeing
Wildernis - Birding & Waterfall hiking

The link from N2 to Route 62 you can do via George over the Outeniqua Pass to Oudshoorn (where Cango caves are located and this is ostrich country) and then on your way to Calitzdorp via Route 62. This is one suggestion - there might be others as well. :D

I will pm you of interesting things along the route you can enjoy. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:58 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Just want to mention . You seem to be staying in more that one National park so have you thought of buying a wild card .. as you will save a few $$$ that way

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:36 am 

Yes, thank you.

I did buy the Wild Card a few years when we went to Swazi Big Game and then spent 3 weeks (!) in KNP. A nice bonus was having the magazine shipped abroad, such beautiful covers!

I wasn't certain if the Wild Card would be worth it this time around but I do believe it will, as we are again 3 days in Swazi, 6/7? days at KTP, and somewhere around 5/6 days on the Garden Route. And of course, there may be some stops along our drive for an hour or two, here or there....Total: appx 15 days, 2 persons. Probably worth it.