Skip to Content

Storms River: INFO

Knysna, Tsitsikamma, Wilderness
Jumbo

Unread postby Jumbo » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:10 am

Hi Seahorse

Thanks for the update. :D
When are you planning to start the revamping? Will we still be able to use this bridge end of February?

Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Stoffel » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:25 pm

Just returned from our first visit to Storms River Mouth. I read a lot about it, but could not imagine (in my wildest dreams) that it would be so lovely. The personnel is fantastic, the immaculate maintenance of the rest camp cannot be improved on, nature is breathtaking and the whole experience is worth every cent.

We arrived late on the Friday afternoon. One could not wish for a more perfect day (and evening). The sea gave us an show of restless turbulence. We had the most wonderful view from our oceanette (E) of waves breaking over the rocks. The next morning was a bit foggy and later we had to cope with some rainy weather, but it did not prevent us from walking the 1 km Loerie Trail. Unfortunately it did not redeem its name.

But on Sunday we were fortunate to watch a Knysna Loerie giving us a swanky show in the trees near the suspension bridge. Walking the Blue Duiker Trail that afternoon we were once again fortunate to have two Knysna Loeries following us with intense curiosity in the the tree tops. Unfortunately the namesake of the trail did not live up to expectations (but we saw them a few days later at the Fish River Sun).

I can kick my own backside because it took me so long to discover the wonders of Tsitsikamma. This will be a definite "yes" on our future holiday plannings.
Chris Boucher

Sandybabe

Storms River mouth camp map

Unread postby Sandybabe » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:36 pm

Hi does anyone have a map of the Storms River mouth camp showing the different accommodation and where they are all situated, this would be most helpful when trying to select the correct accommodation, ie family of 3, quiet accommodation with best view of sea. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:03 am

This is the best I can do for you today, I will scan the map in tomorrow at work and repost it. I will also ask Diannet if we can get one linked to the Storms River page.

Sawubona
Dalene

HoepHoep
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby HoepHoep » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:48 am

Hi
Best view of the ocean: Oceanette
Second best view: Oceanette
Third best view: Oceanette
Seriously they are great, but there are about 4 chalets close to ocean as well.
HoepHoep
The Creator is bigger than His creation!

My latest trip report to Addo during June 2009:
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34300

Salva
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Salva » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:31 pm

Hoephoep is right except for his ranking

best view: honeymoon cottage 16A
2nd: honeymooncottage 16B
3rd: honeymooncottage 17

:lol:

I have stayed in 16A: splendid!
U lacht en U heeft gelijk dat U lacht maar het is niet om mee te lachen

HoepHoep
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby HoepHoep » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:52 pm

Hi Salva
When I was at Storms River Mouth on my honeymoon more than 25 years ago, the honeymoon cottage were not yet in existence :!:
When I was there earlier this year the Oceanettes offered fantastic views of the waves only a few metres away.
Suggestion: lets agree to differ :D .
hoepHoep

Jumbo

Unread postby Jumbo » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:35 pm

View from Honeymoon Cottage 8A (more info in my trip report

Sorry HoepHoep, but I have to agree with Salva on units 6A and 6B…really nice units!!! We unfortunately did not get one of them, but as you can see from the pix, even unit 8A is right next to the sea.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:45 pm

Progress report on the map: No progress since friday. :( But here's a preview:
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

HoepHoep
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Tsitsikamma Sea Landscape

Unread postby HoepHoep » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:16 pm

I spend some time on the rocky beach at the eastern side of the river mouth at the suspension bridge on 17 January this year. The movement of the rocks in the wash of the waves fascinated me. I took a series of 5 photos over a period of 30 minutes. In the middle of the first photo, just to the left of the middle is a rock with a "dent" on the top. It has a green tint from the growth of moss. Just to the right of this rock is a smooth rock that looks pretty much like an ostrich egg, also in size. It has a light grey colour. With the first mentioned rock as a reference, now watch how the "egg" moved as a result of the wave motion.

This must be the very first trip report of a rock on this forum!

Shortly after this series of photos my wife had a very unfortunate accident when she fell 8 metres down the rocks a few meters from where these photos were taken. She is presently recovering after 4 operations and looking forward to our next visit to the most beautifully place on earth.

The personnel at Tsitsikama went out of their way to assist us in every way possible. Ever the boat that is used for cruises up the river was made available to us. The final help and rescue came from the NSRI which air lifted my wife with an Army helicopter to a hospital in PE.
Last edited by HoepHoep on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

ossietraveller

Still looking for news on the walkway/bridge rebuild

Unread postby ossietraveller » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:49 am

Sorry to hear about the loss of Spirit of Tsitsikamma and the damage by the floods. Weather conditions will obviously delay the repairs to the walkway for the tourist season. I plan to travel the Garden Route in April 2008 and hope that we will be able to see the area in all its glory. This will be my first (and possibly last) trip to SA so hope to view this icon in the best possible light.
Thanks to Diannet and HTH for latest advise.
Ossie

kathy sa
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby kathy sa » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:02 pm

6.12.2007 We are in Tsitsikamma at the moment and the suspension bridge is still down. The weather is not very good and there are no boat trips because of bad sea conditions. That doesn't spoil the beauty of Stormsriver mouth though .. it truly is a special place to be. We are staying in a family cottage with a magnificant view of the sea...which has waves like I have never seen before...it is breathtaking!

Cricket in Skukuza in March 2008 :dance:

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:14 pm

Has someone first hand knowledge of Storms River as to if the oceanettes on the ground floor have braaing facilities in front of the unit ?(vs some which do not have facilities in front , but at the rear between the parking lot and the oceanette complex .)
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

HoepHoep
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby HoepHoep » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:54 pm

Hi

Yes the braai is on the sea side on the grass

Elmar

Unread postby Elmar » Sun May 11, 2008 2:14 pm

Can anybody advise me which accommodation options at Stormsriver is better, the large oceanettes or the family cottages? They are exactly the same price, so it is difficult to choose.

Return to “Garden Route Parks”