[ 218 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Tsitsikamma: ADVICE
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Has anybody stayed at this park?

We are going there end of August.

What is it like?

Last edited by DvZ on Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:17 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi DvZ,

Is this the one right next to the ocean? Part of the Otter Trail also goes through there?

If so, we drove through it a few years ago, and it was beautiful! On that same day, we saw dolphin and (which we still debate till today) a whale. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

That is the exact one I am talking about. We stopped there last year on our way home.

Right by the sea and river mouth.

I agree, it looks beautiful.

Well, if no one has been there, then I will have to post some pics once we have been.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:51 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I have been there twice, in 2000 and 2001. We camped at Storm's River Mouth Restcamp.
You can put up your tent so that the first thing you see when you leave your tent in the morning is the ocean. It is an absolutely wonderful place - one of my favourite places in South Africa!

We walked the first part of the Otter Trail, to a waterfall whose name I forgot. It is a very beautiful hike along the ocean. Some parts of it could be a bit difficult because you walk on rocks and have to climb a little. But it's worth the effort.

Here are links to 2 pictures I took when I was there.

Tsitsikamma
www.wildlifephotos.dk/southafrica2/toad1.html

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:08 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

DVZ, it's a beautiful place, we spent part of our honeymoon there. Just make sure to pack plenty of energy as there's so much to do!

We didn't even realise they had huts until we got there, so we were staying a little down the coast, however we won't make that mistake again! The huts seemed very reasonably priced (wish I could remember the exact figure) and some looked right out onto the rocks where the waves were breaking spectacularly!

There's a nice little bay for snorkeling, which is well worth doing (just keep a t-shirt on to avoid massive sunburn - LOL). Just outside the park there is an adventure centre with Treetop Canopy Tours (3 hours spent in an abseiling harness sliding on cables from one tree to another - unreal adrenalin rush!), black water tubing, quad biking, etc. The black water tubing was especially excellent - it goes down the Storms River to the mouth, through the park. The water is black with tannin from the tree roots. Just wait until the day after you've done the tubing to go shark spotting from the bridge over the mouth :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Accommodation at Storms River Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:47 am 
Hi

Does anyone know what the 4 bed chalets are like at the Storms River Rest camp, or maybe where I could find a photo of the type of thing on the web? I've just booked into one for a few days, but have no idea what it might be like! Any help much appreciated!

thanks

Adam

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:55 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Although I've never been there from what I've heard u won't be dissapointed!

Enjoy!

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject: Stormsriver
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:07 pm 
I would like to stay around the Stormsriver area early in April and am interested in staying in the Honeymoon Cottage advertised on here. Does anybody have any photos or other details on these. I am travelling from overseas so would like some idea of what the place I am staying in looks like before committing.l

Post subject: Re: Chalets at Storms River Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:50 pm 

Adam wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know what the 4 bed chalets are like at the Storms River Rest camp, or maybe where I could find a photo of the type of thing on the web? I've just booked into one for a few days, but have no idea what it might be like! Any help much appreciated!

thanks

Adam

Have you looked through the SANParks photo gallery -
http://www.sanparks.org/gallery/tsitsikamma

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject: Re: Stormsriver
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:55 pm 

holmesy wrote:
I would like to stay around the Stormsriver area early in April and am interested in staying in the Honeymoon Cottage advertised on here. Does anybody have any photos or other details on these. I am travelling from overseas so would like some idea of what the place I am staying in looks like before committing.l

Sorry I don't have any pics for you. It is a lovely area. I have just visited there as a day visitor. Have you looked through these pics? http://www.sanparks.org/gallery/tsitsikamma

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:10 am 

Does anyone know the difference between a tent site with power and a caravan site with power at Storms River Rest Camp? Does anyone have any pictures of the campsite? I'd love to see some.

Post subject: trails
Unread postPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:38 pm 

:roll: My husband and I will be traveling in S.A. in August and are very keen to do some trails in the tsitsikama park. We are in our 60s but are used to fairly strenuous hiking. Can anyone suggest how to go about organising something!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:25 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

All walking trails.
Here and here is some more info about walking trails in general, but as you say you are in your 60's, and that seems to be a problem. I cannot find where that is stated, but one of the other forumites will no doubt find it for you.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:33 pm 

Here is the page for the trails in Tsitsikamma. I haven't been there yet or done a trail, so I can't really help, but there's lots of info on the page and there are quite a few links too. I don't think age is a problem on these trails. (They are not like the ones in Kruger, DQ.)

Post subject: Getting from storms river village to storm river mouth ??
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:24 pm 

Hey all, i want to spend a few days at storm river mouth in september but i'll be using the baz bus which i believe drops passengers off at storms river village. Apparently there's no public transportation to storm river mouth... is there any way to get down there and back without your own car ? is there a car service in storm river village ? how much would it cost ?
any help much appriciated

Last edited by User## on Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next