Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Either leave super early or take the escape route

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Post subject: Re: River Crossings on the Otter
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:58 am 

I remember the hike after the Bloukrans took a couple of hours roughly, but I stopped and watched some whales playing for a bit. The last mile or so was pretty steep downhill and would advise against the last part of the hike in the dark.

Finding the path after the dry river about 2 miles in on day 4 isn't obvious. So think of heading to the left as you cross the dry river ( I think it's the Witels River). Besides finding the path after the dry river, hiking through the dark to arrive at the Bloukranz at 6:00am shouldn't be that bad, except for waking up at around 12:00am.

Good luck!

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:10 pm 

Thanks folks for the info... it looks like a super early morning start... I will also look or an easier start date!
Stephen

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:04 pm 

Stephens,
I would suggest either an early start - at just after 00:00 - we've done it (last year winter) in the dark and the going is really slow due to the terrain, darkness and the markers not so clearly visible in the dark. OR, start at +/- 06:00 (I see sunrise on that day is 05:09), enjoy the 10km to the Bloukrantz, see what it looks like - seems that the tide will be quite high - and whether you feel up to a crossing - if you DO cross, just prepare extremely well with ropes etc etc but I would suggest rather take the escape route and Sanparks will transport you to a point where you can pick up the trail again.
Don't - like a lot of people - let the Bloukrantz crossing "high-jack" your whole hike - it's only a small (although very important, yes) part of the hike and should you do the +/- 10.5 km in the dark, you would have missed out on about 25% of the full route - not really worth it - but an experience nevertheless, to hike with headlamps and crossing the Bloukrantz.
Regards