Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Otter Trail - Leopard at Elandsbos estuary?
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:26 pm 

Hi forum members.

Perhaps I am very wrong, but I think I may have seen a leopard spoor in the wet sand at the Elandsbos Estuary 3 days ago while hiking the Otter Trail. I know there are some leopards in the coastal area of Tsitsikamma/Garden Route Park, but they are so elusive I'm surprised I even saw a spoor. If that is indeed what it was. I am posting a picture and would appreciate feedback on whether it is a leopard, or if not, what people think it can be. Be gentle. I am not an expert. It is quite small but I understand that mountain leopards are a lot smaller than those living on ten savanna.

The location was about 100 m or so from the beach near where the cliff sides start but still in the tidal zone . In pic 1 the sandal is a mans size 8.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/22kupk9lcmc9lg5/DSC00190.JPG?m=

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vrtedunapfz6vc1/DSC00191.JPG

Post subject: Re: Otter Trail - Leopard at Elandsbos estuary?
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:44 pm 

Yes Wild El leopards certainly occur along the garden route. Last month the local rag published a picture taken with an infrared camera trap of an adult male leopard near Harkerville between Plettenberg Bay and Knysna.
The spoor you saw could also have been that of a caracal (rooikat). The spoor, four toes and the pad is small, about 4.5cm to 5cm long. While hiking on the Robberg Peninsula (Plett) we have seen caracal on two occasions. A ranger at Robberg told me last month that there is a leopard in that area but is rarely seen as can be expected.