Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Addo: Activities
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:59 pm 

I would like to hike along the coast and am trying to find out more information:

1. How far is it?
2. Am I allowed to?
3. Is there fresh water any where?
4. Must I pay and how much?
5. Who can I contact?

I need info please NBNBNBNBNB

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:44 pm 

Hi and welcome Simon. Will try and get someone in the know to reply to you asap.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Simon

I'll let you know what the park has to say...

Dianne

Post subject: Wow I never expected such a quick response. - Thx
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:30 am 

:D

Post subject: Re: Hiking from Sundays River to Alexandria
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:22 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

simon.willis wrote:
I would like to hike along the coast and am trying to find out more information:

1. How far is it?
2. Am I allowed to?
3. Is there fresh water any where?
4. Must I pay and how much?
5. Who can I contact?

I need info please NBNBNBNBNB

Hi simon,

Have you found the info available on the website? It seems to answer a few of your questions. That is, if you are interested in doing a trail in the National Park. Alexandria Hiking Trail

Alexandria Hiking Trail

The Alexandria Hiking Trail is a 36 km two day circular route of which the first day is 19.5 km and the second day is 16.5 km. The trail begins in magical coastal forest where ancient yellowwoods and exotic Knysna loeries can be seen, it moves then onto the beach where the stark sandy beach ecosystem and dramatic dune cliffs provide breathtaking scenery. Southern right whales can be seen just off shore in certain months and dolphins are often spotted playing in the waves. Fascinating ancient middens sites, evidence of the strandloper people that wandered these shores can also be seen. On the second day the trail traverses sand dunes in the largest coastal dune field in the Southern Hemisphere, the trail then heads back into coastal forest and then into the Langvlakte valley where a chicory stack can be seen which was built in 1820’s. The trail can accommodate a maximum of 12 persons and a minimum of 3 persons.

The Langebos Huts are the base huts for the trail and it is recommended that hikers stay at the huts the night before leaving for the first day. The two newly built huts are equipped with 6 beds each with mattresses, a fridge, stove, hot water showers, toilets and a braai area.

At the end of the first day walking hikers will find the Woody Cape hut nestled in thick coastal forest on top of the cliffs with a view of Bird Island in the distance. This hut has 12 beds with mattresses and rainwater tanks. No fires are allowed at the Woody Cape hut and the hikers must carry their own cookers. Water is only for drinking and cooking as the hut relies on rainwater.

At least one or more of the hiking group should be able to read a map and compass, and to wear a brightly coloured jacket that can be seen from the air if a search and rescue is launched. This trail can be booked via Matyholweni Rest Camp by Telephone: +27 (0)41 468 0916 or E-mail matyholweni@sanparks.org

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:41 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Simon

I just confirmed with the park...this is the best option for you and the only restriction is that the party must be made up of a minimum of 3 people.

Contact details for the trail etc are on the site :)

Dianne

Post subject: Addo Activities
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:04 am 

My family and I are travelling to Addo in April and would love to go horse riding. My youngest child is 8 and can ride very well, the other 3 of us are mixed ability.

Is the minimum age to ride in Addo strictly 10?

If so, are there any stables near Addo from which we could ride with our 8 year old?

Thanks

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:11 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The link for Addo Horse Trails is http://www.sanparks.org/parks/addo/tourism/activities.php
It says
Quote:
No children younger than 16 years may ride on the Addo Trail
:cry:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:08 am 

My wife and I (and 5 year old son) will be visiting Addo and vicinity in late June during the Society for Conservation Biology meetings. Alexandria Forest looks like a very interesting place to visit during our time there. We are staying at Dungbeetle Lodge near Colchester the first night, followed by 2 days at Addo and 1 at Mountain Zebra NP. We were thinking about heading to Alexandria (from Dungbeetle) for a morning hike before driving to Addo for the next 2 evenings. Is this a worthwhile diversion or would we be better off heading straight to Addo? This is our first trip to Africa. I think we'll have plenty of time - well, not really as much as we'd like - to see elephants and other mammals (we have 6 days later in Kruger), and we are equally interested in birds and unique ecological areas. I haven't been able to learn much about the day-hiking trail at Alexandria. Any advice would be valuable.

All the best.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:10 am 

Hi bobandamy,

Some info for you taken from "Addo Elephant National Park - Official Guide":

The Alexandria dunefield is the largest and least degraded coastal dunefield in the southern hemisphere. It has a maximum width of 3km and covers approximately 15 800ha. The average height of dunes is 30m while the tallest dune is 140m above the mean sea level.

Bookings for the overnight hike are made through matyholweni@sanparks.org.

I have not done a trail there or even been down to this particular area although I live close by but I would say, seeing you are going to visit Addo game area for two nights and going to Kruger - you might be sorry if you miss a trip to the coastal part of Addo.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:42 am 

Thanks, Dinkybird. Here's more info from a web site of Birdwatch Cape:

"We begin our day at the Alexandria Forest, about 100 km from Port Elizabeth. A walk under the cool canopy of giant Yellowwoods, Cape Coral Trees and White Stinkwoods offer a variety of forest species, including: Knysna Woodpecker; Black-bellied Starling; Black-headed Oriole; Terrestrial Brownbul; Chorister Robin-chat; Collared and Grey Sunbird; African Olive Pigeon; Trumpeter Hornbill; Knysna Turaco and Narina Trogon."

Coupled with the dunes, this area looks very appealing.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:55 am 

The South African Birding web site also has some great information at:

http://www.sabirding.co.za/birdspot/020202.asp

It sounds like the heart of the forest and dune fields will be much more than we can crack during a single morning visit, but I think we'll at least check out the area around the station. Has anyone on the forum been there recently?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Bob, you might want to post your query in our birds forum, as the forum's most avid birders might not be looking elsewhere. I'm sure that there's someone amongst them who can help you as several of our active birders live in the PE area.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:58 pm 

bobandamy,

Yes the Alexandria Forest is truly a Birders Paradise with a unique habitat and some regional specials. I go there abot twice a year with the PE Bird Club and its one of our favorite East Cape Venues. As you point out you are going to Addo proper and Kruger later on so you will have lots of chances to see the ellies and Buff etc.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:18 pm 

Thanks Arks and Boulder. I posted this on the Birds Forum, as suggested by Arks, but your post, Boulder, reinforces our desire to go there. Is there any problem getting permission for day hikes? The SA Birding site indicates that a permit is required.

By the way, I really have enjoyed reading the trip reports and other posts of yours (both you two and others). Your contributions definitely enrich the planning of newbies like us, so thanks for taking the time to write your accounts. Your (Boulder's) leopard story at Kruger was an especially fun read.

All the best.