Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Birding visit to Mountain Zebra
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:01 pm 

I'm looking forward to the upcoming weekend, which I have turned into a long one. I will be visiting Mountain Zebra for the first time. My main interest is birding though I am also keen to experience the Cheetah Tracking walk. I live in Durban so am hoping for quite a few lifers for my bird list as the habitat is so different. Larks and the like are high on my list. Any tips from anyone birding wise?

cheers
Penny

Post subject: Re: Birding visit to Mountain Zebra
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:47 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi Penza and a warm welcome to the forum........ :gflower:

Have a look here, Mountain Zebra: BIRDS, though the last posting there was in 2010!!

Here is a link to MZNP birding list

I'm sure one of the birders, will be a long shortly with some nice tips...... :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:48 pm 

Thank you. I'll have a look. I have already downloaded the bird list and checked off those already in my list. There are about 75 that I have never seen so hope to bag a few. Korhaans also high on my wish list.
Cheers
Penny

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:01 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Welcome to the Forum Penza! :dance: :dance:

I sincerely hope that you will receive some tips shortly! There are quite a few very helpful bird experts on this Forum! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:59 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Penza, welcome to the forum and a good choice of park to visit. :dance:

I have only been there once, but love to go back there sooner than later.
hilda wrote:
There are quite a few very helpful bird experts on this Forum! :thumbs_up:

hilda's comment is not applicable to me. :) , but let see if we can help. :thumbs_up:

Here is a map of the park and during our visit in June 2011, we had found some great birdies in two areas mainly.
I have color-coded 2 rectanglular spots on the map. The one the Ubejane loop and the other one Kranskoploop

On the Ubejane loop (grey area), we spotted the following birdies: Double-banded courser (photo), Schrub robin, White-browned sparrow weaver, Village indigobird (steelblue widow finch), Yellow-billed egret, Spotted thick knee and Familiar chat.

As you came down from the Kranskop section (orange coloured block)to the area between the picnic spot and the camp, there are nice trees where we spotted some colourful birdies i.e. Brown-hoode kingfisher, African hoopoe, Acacia Pied Barbet, Fiscal flycatcher (he is a treat at the swimming pool and very inquisitive) and then some African Pied Starling - here are some chicks.

For cheetah, we spotted him on the Link road close to the intersection with Rooiplaat. look out in this area for the Aardwolf. I know that the grass might be quite tall, but worth the while to see if you can spot him.

Hope you have a memorable trip to MZNP. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:21 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Nice advice anyone. I have never birded there before, only drove past it once and saw the most beautiful Martial Eagle right next to the highway! The road between here and Uniondale also seems excellent for Black Harrier as I spotted 4 - 5 different birds on a single drive.

There was a lovely insert on this park on 50/50 on Monday night and I saw that they were introducing lions now as well.

What I can add is that there are a couple of interesting new records found in the park recently namely Common Scimiterbill and a very lost Crimson-breasted Boubou (Shrike) was found closer to Graaf Reinette. See if you can get hold of the Graaf Reinette bird club to get more info on these two rare species for that area.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:50 pm 

Thanks to everyone for the great tips, maps and lovely pics. It all helps. I would love to see the Black Harrier as I have never seen it before. Wonderful that they have new birds discovered too. I can't wait. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:00 pm 

I had four great days in Mountain Zebra; what a wonderful park and so well run too. It was extremely dry especially compared to humid Durban. We saw 77 birds in four days, 11 of which were lifers for me. I saw the Double-banded courser as in the photo posted by Kaapsedraai - what a beautiful bird. It was great to spend some time trying to figure out which lark was which. We were also treated to Ludwigs Bustard on 3 separate occasions; each time flying. Another thing I really enjoyed was expereincing a different cast of bird characters than our usual suspects in Durban like Scaly-feathered Finch, Rufous-eared Warbler, Bokmakierie, White-browed Sparrow Weaver, Grey Tit and many more. I hope to return again - next time in summer when more migrants are back. cheers Penny

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:31 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Thank you for the feedback, Penza.

I am glad that you enjoyed the MZNP trip and spotted 77 birds. Great stuff. :dance:

The area falls in the summer rainfall region, so summer migh produce some good opportunity for more birds. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:45 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I'm so glad you had a great time Penza...... :dance: :dance:

If you want you could share some of your Bird Photos in the Bird Forum....... :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:55 am 

I'd be happy to share some of my pics. I'm not sure how to upload them on here though. Is the Bird forum different from this one? :cam:

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:13 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi Penza,

Nope the bird forum is just a sub forum right here on Sanparks Forum........Bird Forum

Or you could write us a trip report and share it here...........Travel Tales

You'll need a hosting site to upload your photos the forum. Have a look here on how to do that..........How to.. Host photos for use with Trip Reports

If you have any problems, please ask one of us will gladly lend a helping hand...... :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:28 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Looking forward to see all your beautiful bird pictures Penza! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I visited this underestimated gem earlier this year. Fine, so I was there out of prime birding season, but it was so peaceful and had that unique Karoo beauty that just envelops you. Btw, their restaurant has really good food, particularly the 2 shank options!

I found that there were 2 places in camp that were rewarding for birds, behind the chalets in the late afternoon/evening and around the laundry during the day. In terms of out and about, pretty much anywhere is good, but I found the high areas best for variety (particularly of the LBJs) and the area between the park entrance and the camp had some interesting sightings.

Here follow some images:

I will post some more later

John

Follow my solo KTP photographic and birding TRAVEL TALE

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:36 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
MxM, your photos do not show......did you either delete them from photobucket or move them on photobucket to a folder???