Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Addo True Bush Feel?
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:33 pm 

Planning a trip to Addo and hope to spend more than five days there as natural historians and lovers of the bush. Worried that one would be able to hear the road noise from the main camp, and that the main camp and roads may be very busy during the day with day visitors and tours visiting the park and facilities. Would one be able to enjoy a true peaceful bush experience/feeling? Would 6 night in the Park be too many?

Any information and advice would be much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Addo True Bush Feel?
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Bornman ... We have just had 3 nights staying in the Addo rest camp
Safari Tents and I can assure you it was lovely and there was no road noise :thumbs_up:
The tent overlook a water hole and the only negative was the noise of birds & frogs etc at
night :wink: Oh and the occasional porcupine who shuffled past :P .. The camp was
supposed to be full when we there with day visitors in and out but you can easily get
away from it all :whistle: ... Enjoy :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:38 pm 

Thanks for the reassuring information.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:14 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi bornman, welcome to the forums

I've personally not noticed the road noise from the main camp accommodation, but I have heard the train line at times which runs just outside the park. It's a freight line, so it's not fast-moving... I think it sounds kind of 'frontier-ish' :wink:

Inside the park can sometimes feel busy at weekends when there are naturally more day visitors. Staying at the main camp you'll have the benefit of entering the park an hour before any day visitors (and most people these days enter via the Colchester side, so it'll seem very quiet in the northern side for a while). Hapoor is often a focal point mid-morning due to the number of ellies that can be seen there on a hot day. But as dellac says, you can easily find quieter spots if you want.

6 nights in the park might feel a bit long, but it's very subjective and depends on each individual, and also what sightings you have. Personally I could probably spend a few weeks in the park and not get bored :lol:

Hope you have a great trip whenever you're planning to go :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:13 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi Bornman, and a very warm welcome to you :gflower:

I hope that you love your stay in Addo.

I stayed over when I took my daughter to start her studies at Rhodes. I will return, it was a very special experience.

The train was the most intrusive noise, but I can recall only noticing it once in the early morning. It was quite easy to switch off. What I noticed more was the sound of the Jackal. Now when I hear them, my mind goes back to Addo.

I found a certain gentleness in the landscapes, quite feminine really, with the softer contours. It is different and I took off my Kruger hat and lapped up every moment. Even the ellies seemed different, somehow more mellow.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:27 am 

I might get a bit of flack for my opinion regarding Addo... but I really did not enjoy my time there.

Whilst I did not notice too much noise I did notice the boundaries of the park. Surrounding farmlands and communities seemed ever present. At least in KNP and KTP one can completely get that "lost in the wilderness" feeling... I could not manage this in Addo.

In addition I am not a great fan of the Addo vegetation... preferring the broadleafed woodland of the Lowveld and the vegetation of Zululand. I found the "spekboom" very sore on my eyes.

At the end of the day I guess it is different strokes for different folks. I am glad I have gone as my curiosity has been satisfied... would I return? Probably not.

Having said all these things I know that many people are indeed great fans of Addo and its unique features.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:13 pm 

Sorry Seanp that you did not like Addo - hope you are in the minority!
We live close by and visit often -also spend about 40 days in KNP. Yes, they are very different, but getting into the bush - any bush with animals is great. At a lion siting we do not have a great stampede of cars, often being the only car around. The spekboom is in flower at the moment so Addo is tinged with pink.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Bornman and SeanP.

The problem is not with Addo or Kruger or whatever, but with our conceptions/preconceived ideas with which we enter these places.
Some people love the Kgalagadi, others think it is so bare, dusty and boring...
I used to think Kruger was wild and free, until I got used to Mana Pools, Hwange and Ghona re Zhou -- after being spoilt with those places, Kruger=A ZOO! I was disgusted to have to queue to enter, to see animals etc.
Untill I got my mind right. I am a teacher and can only go to Kruger in school holidays -- imagine! But I enjoy it now, and do most game-viewing on the quieter dirt roads.
If you think Kruger = WILD, then yes, Addo = even more of a zoo...!

But go there with an open mind, and you will find:
* Some of the best elephant viewing in Africa (even if most cows are tuskless) -- sit at a waterhole on a hot day and when you see a herd of elephants kicking up dust in the distance, go and park next to the path they will be following -- you will have a hang of an adrenaline rush when they come charging straight at your vehicle, and just part ways and rush around you on both sides!
* More tortoises and warthog than you will see anywhere else...
* Stunning spekboom when it is in pink bloom (right now); stunning vygies after good rain behind Carol's Rest, where elephants dig them up with their feet and chow the pretty pink succulents...
* Very good game viewing from the hide at Main Camp, especially for black rhino at night...
* Amazing variety of birds to photography, especially on cold winter mornings as they sun themselves next to the road...
* A hotspot for caracal lynxes. They are quite common and regularly seen...

And yes, SeanP, it is frustrating to see farmland etc. from a national park, and I have been pleading with them for years to open a new private campsite on the Colchester side where you are isolated in the spekboom with NO views of farms etc.

On the other hand, there are wilder areas in the north of Addo like Narina, Darlington ( I have not bothered to do them), and a very lovely section of pristine coastal forest with yellow woods etc. at Alexandria.

Hope you have a lovely time!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

ps. did I say they have lots of eland (you see much more than in Kruger), and hyenas are quite common around Rooidam, Domkrag and Woodlands early mornings; and meerkat families on the Woodlands loop, and at Hapoor.... and a few stunning lions.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:42 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I do think that it is vital to take the Kruger, or KTP glasses off. If you can do that, a new world opens up.

Mapungubwe, one of the most mystical of places, also has the problem of farmlands. I never found that it interfered with my fascination with the Park.

I enjoyed a completely different ecozone, one that was very diverse. I would really like to explore a great Addo, the Addo that includes the marine world as well.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:35 pm 

Like I said different strokes for different folks. I have been to Addo and did not enjoy it.

I love Hluhluwe/Umfolozi which is a relatively small park and it really boils down to landscape preference for me.

Even though Kruger is my absolute favourite park... you will not find me there in winter as I cannot bear the yellow grass and bare trees.

Once again... not to offend all of you who love Addo... but when I only get one chance a year to get to Africa... my preference will always be the lowveld or a broadleafed woodland habitat. I adore the lowveld.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:05 pm 

Hi Bornman,
I agree with Friedrich. A plus side is if you can get him and his scholars in the campsite, they sing beautifully.

We try and spend at least 8 days in Addo when we go. Kruger it is not, but the beauty of the wildlife is what attracts us. We have had some of the best elephant experiences in Addo. I have been to Hwange, Chobe, Kruger etc but the closeness to the large herds in Addo is an experience to behold. We have also had incredibly close sightings of the lions where they are less than 2 mt from your vehicle (close enough to touch) :shock:

The vegetation is remarkedly different to Kruger and at times it can be frustrating spotting game but with this we have also had some truly memorable sightings. We take this as being part of the experience.

The road past Addo is not that busy at night but you can hear vehicles on the road from the campsite (read camping area -tents / caravan area).

I would go to Addo at the drop of a hat.

Enjoy your time.
Blessings.