Addo: Mathyolweni camp

Addo, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mountain Zebra

Moderator: lion queen

Kooning

Re: Facilities at Addo's Matyholweni camp

Unread postby Kooning » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:26 pm

Thanks for the info DP.
I understand and agree with what you’re saying Lionspoon. :D

I started thinking about a day visitor area when I realized just how close the N2 passes to the park. I also read something in the latest WildCard email about possibly expanding the camp, although I’m not sure how serious the plans are.

The main camp felt very crowded when we visited and I would hate it if Matyholweni started feeling like that, but how else can they alleviate the pressure on the main camp?

If some development was going to happen, then I think adding a day visitor area that is reasonably small and well removed (out of sight and sound) from the rest of the camp can be a good thing. I would love to visit the park as described in my original post, but I agree that it should not be done at the cost of the camp/park’s atmosphere and charm. I think adding a day visitor area on the other side of the road might help to keep the camp separated from the day visitors.

My biggest fear would be that adding more tourist facilities to the camp might draw to many visitors or a different kind of visitor. The last thing I would like to see is the park getting overly crowed or people speeding in and out just for a “braai” or some food/drink. (We don’t want a second Westcoast NP… :wall: )

I’m curious what other people might think about the idea.

nellkell

Anyone stayed at Matyholweni recently?

Unread postby nellkell » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:09 am

We will be staying at Matyholweni for 3 days during May. Been there before and know that branches close to
the cottages can sometimes spoil the view. Want to know if anyone that was there recently can suggest a
cottage (CO2) with the best view please !

leonora5

Re: Anyone stayed at Matyholweni recently?

Unread postby leonora5 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:52 pm

We stayed there for two nights in October 2013 and loved it.
To our delight we heard lion roar all through the night.

I think the type of hut was FA3 and we had no's 11 and 12.
They were the last huts - furthest away and the view was unobstructed.

Only disappointment was that you have to drive right around the park to return to Matyholweni after a night drive at the main camp. It was a fantastic experience though and worth every cent.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Leonora

Return to “Frontier Parks”