Skip to Content

Addo Park - possible to get away from crowds?

Addo, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mountain Zebra
bornman

Addo Park - possible to get away from crowds?

Unread postby bornman » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:44 pm

Is the Park because of its accessibility a very busy one during February? Would it be possible to stay in and drive around the Park getting a sense of being in the bush, rather than surrounded by cars, day-trippers, game drive vehicles, and short-stay tourists? If the answer is yes, which rest camp? We are looking for comfortable (not luxurious) and quiet accommodation, but not camping.

I recently had a disappointing experience in a game reserve in the northern part of the country, which was near the airport and very accessible for short-stay tourists. I came away disappointed that the sense of peaceful remoteness and feeling of being deep in the bush were no longer existent.

Any information would be appreciated.

FrontierPR
Guru
Guru

Re: Addo Park - possible to get away from crowds?

Unread postby FrontierPR » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:01 am

Hi there

February is probably one of Addo's busiest (and hottest) months. If you're coming in a 4x4, then perhaps the Kabouga Cottage in that section of the park is a good idea. It's along the park's only 4x4 route, in the more northern parts of the park. There is no big game present in that area, unfortunately, but is still beautiful nonetheless. http://www.addoelephant.com/parks/addo/camps/kabouga/

If you're not 4x4'ing, perhaps have a look at Narina bush camp, at the foot of the Zuurberg mountains in a forest - four readily set up tents, each with two single beds, a kitchen and outdoor shower/toilet. You book out the entire camp, so the only other person you'll come across while there is the cleaner. http://www.addoelephant.com/parks/addo/ ... amp_id=75#

The other alternative is Matyholweni Camp, in the southern section of the park. There are only nine chalets and three family cottages, so a lot less busy than Main Camp. http://www.addoelephant.com/parks/addo/ ... camp_id=76

Alternatively, try the Woody Cape section of the park, where you also book the entire section, ensuring you have no noisy neighbours. Here are two units, each sleeping four people in the beautiful Alexandria Forest, closest to the coastal section of the park. http://www.addoelephant.com/parks/addo/camps/woody/

While Addo is nowhere near as busy as Kruger, for example, driving in the main game viewing area of the park during a month like February you will most definitely come across a number of other visitors. In areas like Kabouga and Woody Cape, however, where you won't find big game, you'll get the sense of being more "alone".

I trust this answers some of your questions. I'm sure some other forumites will also give their input.

Fayroush Ludick
Regional Communications

Leaping Lizards
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Leaping Lizards » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:18 pm

Hi there

My comment refers to the Main Game (including Matyholweni/Southern section) area in Addo which we have visited many times, but we have never been adventurous enough to try any of the other sections in Addo. :redface:

We love Addo, but before you visit, there are some truths.

It is a small park, not Kruger, and at some points while driving you will see the fence or maybe farmlands outside of the park.
If you are looking for that “bush experience” those would be the negatives.

On the positive side, the main rest camp is well laid out with lots of space between units, that gives off a more secluded atmosphere than most rest camps, even in Kruger.
With regards to traffic, I have only been to Addo once in February, It was over a weekend, so probably the fullest it could be. What I found then is similar to the numerous times I have visited Addo, and that is that the amount of traffic, and people is drastically lower south of Jack’s Picnic spot (about 45 minutes from camp). In fact while driving some of the loops in the South, we sometimes only see 1 or 2 other cars if that.

On the whole, if you can survive the south of Kruger on a normal day, then you can survive to busiest part of Addo on a busy day.

These are the things I think you should consider. Me, I would visit without hesitation. :thumbs_up:
September - Orpen, Talamati and Satara :P

bornman

Unread postby bornman » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:22 pm

Thank you for your trouble in giving me valuable and helpful information and thoughts. Much appreciated.

Return to “Frontier Parks”