Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Addo-only 1 day
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:35 pm 

Hi

If you can only spend one day in Addo, what will be your must see spots....can only go for a day :? :? :?

Will arrive from the south ,at say 2 ,and sleep at main camp and will exit the next day at say 2 again.

Post subject: Re: Addo-only 1 day
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:33 pm 

Hi Bud,

all depends what you want to see.

Obviously coming to Addo implies elephants! Hapoor Dam is always a sure hit....as is the road from there to Gwharrie Dam.

Eland, Ive found are usually on the Gorah loop (after You pass clockwise behind Domkrag dam n a big circle) - as well on the left, at rthe foot of Zuurkop, on the grass sapce, on Ur right.

Lions, Ive found are from Marion Baree and into the southern section - Sunny days though, they tend to lie up under trees, and in long grass. Buffalos are a bit of a lottery....more or less where you will find lions, however, Ive also seen them in and around Mbabala loop.

If its sunny, and you keep a watchful eye out, go around Mpunzi lkoop(close to Hapoor)...near the dam, there are meerkats, grey herons and sometimes spoonbills in the dam itself. Ive also seen 2 rock monitors from that road. Elephants can also be found midday at Spekboom, as can be Kudu. Kudu, also in and around Domkrag towards late afternoon.

Ive seen a lot of Zebra, Buffalo, Hartebees,duiker, bushbuck,elephant and eland in the southern section 2, on the open plains, and around the small water pans.

Snakes are abundant....Ive seen cape cobra, and puff adder on the odd occasion - but that was luck of the draw.

My rule of thumb - if you drive and kick up any dust, Ur driving too fast. Get in early, and leave the game area as late as possible - Book a night drive...aardvark, aardwolf, bat eared fox, genet etc may also be seen.....as well as porcupine. Also, if time permits, spend at least an hour or two at he hide in the main park, from say 9 til 11pm.....U might be surprised. Ive seen hyena, elephant etc come down for a drink.

In the interests of conservation, Id love to tell you where I have seen rhino, but unfortunately I cannot. Enjoy every moment, the park is awesome, the staff are brilliant, and the park is spotless.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Post subject: Re: Addo-only 1 day
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:19 pm 

Thanks.