Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Which car do I take?
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:43 am 

Thank you JonJon. Your reply was very helpful. I agree about the Prado being higher, but not all that much as this Merc is higher than normal. It also seems that as its ground clearance is higher than normal it could cope with all roads except the 4x4 trails. My interests are birding and flora as much as fauna so I am sure I shall love this park.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:03 am 

May I suggest if you are fairly active to do the 2,5km walk that takes you up a small koppie/mountain where you can see up close the flora, it takes about an hour or so well worth it and you get a wonderful view of the park, and you see many birds as well but take water with you. At the moment the park is looking like Gods garden and the bird life is wonderful. enjoy it.

Post subject: Re: Mountain Zebra: Info/Advice
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:07 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
When staying in Doornhoek are we allowed to visit the restaurant at night and drive back after dinner? Not sure whether it is permitted. The last time we stayed there we did not leave the house at night time. Thank you. MZ is a Great Park.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

When we stayed there reception asked if we would be using the restaurant and they left the gate open for us. Sadly that was 4 years ago now :( - but fingers crossed that it's still the same.

Given the changes threatening the NHS here in blighty it looks as though the chances of another visit are getting more and more remote as the next politician opens his/her trap :evil:

(Usain Bolt August 2012)

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:42 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi Grantmissy,

yes, you can still use the resturant at night. Simply book at reception and ask that they organise a staff member to open/close the gate for you.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:53 am 

If you go to a NP I would always choose the car with the higher clearance. It will help to spot animals esspecially when the grass will be long.

By the way can you tell me the type of the Mercedes?

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:51 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

if you are visiting this gem of a NP and you are more than 2 people I would HIGHLY recommend you stay in Doornhoek guest house. Rarely have I spent time in such a secluded spot and it is very tastefully restored to its ancient status.
:clap:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:19 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Thank you all for your replies, it is appreciated. Doornhoek is a very special place and a fine example of Victorian Karoo architecture for us, filled with a very rich and positive atmosphere. We adore the “braai” at the back of the house at the kitchen. It is also especially nice to sit in the coolness of the front stoep.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:59 pm 

Just to let everyone know... the phone lines and credit card machine are not working here today due to stolen copper wiring from the phone lines - according to the front desk. So bring cash if you are coming.

Post subject: General information required for Mountain Zebra & Addo
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:08 pm 

Hi my husband and I have booked to stay 3 nights in MZNP from 7th Dec and then 6nts in a safari tent in Addo, we are coming from Scotland (Can't wait :D ) and will have had 5nts in Capetown, 2 nts in Bontebok and 3 nts in Ebb & Flow in Wilderness before we arrive...one question is please can someone let me know where the closest supermarket/bottle stores are before we enter the parks, I can see from this site that there are general stores in both camps but was wondering what the options were close by. We have booked to do the cheetah walk at MZNP and are so looking forward to the experience, do you think we should book night drives before we get to the parks or just book when we are there? Also I can see there is a restaurant at Addo but is there one in MZ? can you please give us an idea as to what we can expect weather wise and also if anyone has any other hints/tips we would be very grateful...Many thanks

Post subject: Re: General information required for Mountain Zebra & Addo
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi tobago and welcome to the forum. Regarding Addo please PM RonnieL for info - and for Mountain Zebra please PM M.Paxton. Regarding night drives M.Paxton does the driving in MZNP. RonnieL is the fundi on Addo - please read the posts on "Addo Park Experiences". I know there are supermarkets in Cradock the nearest town to MZNP and I believe there is a supermarket in Addo - but have never had to visit one there. As the Parks shops are a bit expensive I would suggest you use outside supermarkets. December is a bit hot in the Eastern Cape but keep a jersey or light jacket handy as it an get a bit cool in the evenings. I wish you a very happy stay in our Eastern Cape Parks - you sure of seeing plenty of wild life. Safe journey to you both.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:21 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Hello there ... you are escaping the scottish winter are you..

I haven't been to Addo for a while but Mountain Zebra we were there last month and its something really special. We bought supplies in Cradock They still have several Butcher shops where they cut your meat as you like it . These are seperate from the supermarkets prepacked stuff. Its a very small town so you are sure to find one Look for the word Slaghuis!!There is also a Spar shop that seems to stock most things. The shop in the park has very few groceries just bare essentials. They do have a very nice looking restuarant . We never ate there though . Though you can always ask to see the menu. You will enjoy the rides through the park with stunning views. and lots of buck
Start packing and enjoy yourselves

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:11 pm 
Guru
Guru

welcome tobago!

Both Addo main camp and Mountain Zebra NP have resturants which are open full day (Addo) and for Breakfast, lunch and dinner (MZNP). The kitchens in the units are also fully kitted out for your own food preparation. The safari tents in Addo have a communal kitchen (shared between 5 tents) but you will have your own fridge at your unit and own utensils in your cupboard in the kitchen.

If you're travelling from Wilderness, you will pass PE and Bluewater Bay just after PE (latter might be easier for you as it is a smaller place). To get to either, you'll need to turn off the highway. There are supermarkets and bottle stores here.

Its best to book game drives in advance via addogamedrives@sanparks.org and mountainzebra@sanparks.org You only need to pay before the game drive so you can always shift the times around if needed when you get there, but at least you won't find a drive is fully booked.

Enjoy the visit!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:29 am 

Hi All.

Just wanted to know if there is a Reptile and Amphibian listing for Mt Zebra?
I stayed over for the first time last year Jan 2011 in the camp sites which were exquisite.

While many visitors are looking for the larger Fauna and a friend whom i will be traveling with from Durban are more interested in the smaller animals like Lizards,Snakes, frogs and so on.

We recorded 6 lizard species on our last trip including the Rock monitors which are quite plentiful in the park. A few snakes although most were on the roads outside of the park.

We are traveling to the park again on January 2012 and would like to have some list to go from in terms of Reptiles and amphibians if anyone knows of such a list it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tyrone.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:29 am 

fooble wrote:
Hi All.

Just wanted to know if there is a Reptile and Amphibian listing for Mt Zebra?
I stayed over for the first time last year Jan 2011 in the camp sites which were exquisite.

We recorded 6 lizard species on our last trip including the Rock monitors which are quite plentiful in the park. A few snakes although most were on the roads outside of the park.

Hi Tyrone.

I noted that nobody responded to your post. :redface: Did you manage to obtain a list in the park? If so could you maybe pm it to me. Any luck with the reppies on your recent visit? We will be in spending some time in the 4x4 hut next weekend.

Hope to hear from you. :D

“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”

2014 October:
16 Twee Rivieren
17 Kieliekrankie
18 Nossob
19-21 Grootkolk
22 Nossob
23 Urikaruus
24-25 Mata Mata
26-6Nov Namibia

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next