SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mountain Zebra: Info/Advice
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:10 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi elle79
The restuarant at Mountain Zebra NP will be during it's usual operating hours on 24 and 25 December. It opens at 07h30 in the morning for breakfast and the last table seatings are taken at 19h15 in the evening for dinner.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:42 am 

A friend & I were in Zebra park from Wednesday 17th to Saturday 20th November 2010 .

We came across this Gemsbok on the way to Kranskop . It was in such poor condition that it was actually stumbling....almost fell over ! This was one of only two that we saw during our three days of traveling extensively throughout the park. Can anyone tell me what is the possible cause of this animal's poor condition AND, how many GEMSBOK are left in the Zebra park ?

Secondly, we were on the lookout for steenbok which, on previous visits were quite plentiful......especially around the Ubejane loop area . During our three days of much travel ( from 06:00 - 19 : 00 ) we saw TWO . Is there any known reason for their decline ?

Lastly, although the camp area has been electrified, we saw a huge baboon running through the camping area on Friday (19th). The troupe of monkeys are also still present inside the camp area .We thought the Electrified fence was there to keep these animals outside of the camping area ? I might add here that a single Male ? Baboon was a huge nuisance in the camp during my stay in October 2008....it actually tore a hole in my tent and damaged equipment belonging to a fellow camper the same day.

Why can't this rouge not be removed permantly ?

Here are a few pictures taken during our visit which was very enjoyable.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:32 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi J.J.

We received the same message by email from Trevor Butler so I assume he is your friend :)

Here is the answer we sent Trevor by email:

The poor condition of the gemsbok you saw could be due to a number of reasons, including poor grazing (because of the drought), old age or even its sexual condition. If it’s a male, it may have been fighting for dominance/territory and lost condition due to stress, injury, and trauma. The March 2010 census in Mountain Zebra National Park counted 160 gemsbok.

The reduction in steenbok numbers has been noted and is most likely due to increased predation. We are currently in the process of translocating cheetah out of the Park to reduce their numbers and thus their impact on prey species. We are also monitoring the jackal numbers to assess their impact on various prey species and ascertain whether there is an overpopulation.

The electric fence erected around the rest camp is to prevent rhino, buffalo and cheetah from entering the rest camp. Baboons and monkeys can still jump over the fence. Dominant (“rogue”) male baboons have been put down in the past when they have become serious problems, but unfortunately this usually opens up a niche for another dominant male to enter the territory and take over. We do have notices in the accommodation units warning visitors not to feed monkeys or baboons since this can add to the problem.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:57 pm 

Thanx for the answer...yes Trevor is my friend.

Sorry for asking the same questions twice.

Post subject: Assistance / Information Required to Plan Next Trip
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:19 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hello

i am planning a trip to the Frontier parks and have the following plan so far:

April 22 till May 2 (2011) - starting and ending in Pretoria

MZNP - 3 nights
Karoo - 4 nights
Mokala - 3 nights

I have the following questions:

1. Do you think i have the number of nights in each location correct or what would you suggest?

2. Both MZNP and Karoo have 4x4 trails. I will be travelling in a hilux KZTE and have done quite a bit of driving off road (RTP, Bitterpan etc). How difficult are the trails taking into consideration all the rain?

3. Does anyone know if the Camdeboo accommodation is on track to be opened April 2011? If not can someone recommend accommodation in Graaff-Reinet?

4. If you where to do night drives would you do one a each or which one would you choose?

5. What can i expect from a sightings point of view (not looking for big 5)?

6. In MZNP would stay in the main camp or is it worth going to the 4x2 Mountain Cottage?

7. What are the restaurants like - i know Mokala is fantastic?

Thanks

I am against hotels in KNP

Post subject: Mountain Zebra Mountain Hut
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Which is the best one 2 stay in? Mthombo Mountain Hut or Bakana Mountain Hut?

Post subject: Re: Assistance / Information Required to Plan Next Trip
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

1. I would only spend 4 nights in Karoo, if you are planning to spend at least 1 night in the 4x4 cottage.

2. MZNP 4x4 trails were easy. They will be closed, if it is raining or has recently rained though.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:12 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you very much for the information.

Does anyone else have any comment?

I am against hotels in KNP

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:18 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi kesheshe,
Construction of the buscamp in Camdeboo National Park has been delayed but we hope to open it by April 2011. We are not yet taking bookings for this bushcamp so perhaps you could provisionally book a place in Graaff-Reinet and then change this to the bushcamp if it opens on schedule. Try the Graaff-Reinet Tourism office on Tel 049 8924248.

For your stay in Mountain Zebra NP, I would suggest spending one night in the mountain cottages to get a feel for them. They are great if you would like to feel a bit more isolated from the rest of the visitors in the rest camp.

I suggest you have a look at the other topics in this forum where many visitors have commented on their sightings in both national parks.

Mountain Zebra is now offering early morning drives and guided walks - keep an eye out on the website as we'll be giving details on these soon. Karoo is also offering guided walks along the Bossie and Pointer trails so this might be something you'd like to consider if you're happy to walk. Night drives are always worth it, i think, to have the chance of seeing some nocturnal animals and experiencing the Park at night when no other vehicles are out.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:16 pm 

I can give you my views although they may be very biased because the Karoo which includes KNP & MZP is to me great places to be. MZP is a very dare I say pretty park with mountains that are more like big rolling hills but rocky. They do have 4x4 trails and I believe that they are very good. Also the overnight hut in the mountains has recently been upgrade but I have not seen it since then. Three nights means two full days there and you should not get bored. They do have a wide selection of wildlife but no lions only cheetah which are often seen. MZP is a well worth visit.
The Karoo National Park is different, the have beautiful mountains with high buttresses on most of them, and you can imagine dinosaurs running around and of course they used to be there, it has a feeling about it that no other park has. The 4x4 trails are good and should be enjoyable, but even with all these trails you still do not see all the park. As for as wildlife is concerned there are no big herds so you don't see a too much and there are lions but they have plenty of places to hide out in. I love KNP and I look at the mountains in awe. Also around Beaufort West there are many 4x4 trails and hikes so if you get tired of KNP you can find something else to do or see. For a first time visit I think three nights may be better for you.
Mokala I do not know much about this park, if you are camping I believe there are no facilities it is like camping in the good old days. Enjoy your trip where ever you stay.

Post subject: Tented Stay at MZNP
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:15 pm 

Greetings All....

I've booked for an overnight tented stay at the Mountain Zebra National Park, arriving on Saturday 26th February in the morning & leaving sometime on Sunday 27th...I would like to know if it is similar to the Addo Elephant National Park whereby you have to be back in the tented area at 6.30 in the evening and are allowed out at 6.00 in the morning to do your viewing? :hmz:

Whilst I am asking these questions. I would also like to know the times you are allowed to do the hiking trails? :hmz:

I hope someone out there is able to help me...

Thanks

Ron :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Tented Stay at MZNP
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:57 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

There are indeed gate hours:
* 1 October to 31 March: 07:00 - 19:00
* 1 April to 30 September: 07:00 - 18:00
If visitors need to arrive or depart outside of gate hours, a fee of R100 will be charged. Arrangements should be made in advance with Reception on Tel: (048) 881 2427 / 3434 or email: Mountainzebra@sanparks.org

I can't find info on the hiking trails, but Megan will probably find this topic.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Re: Tented Stay at MZNP
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:31 pm 

There are three walks/hikes:
1,5km that you do on your own without a guide young children may be OK
2,5km that again you do on your own without a guide and well worth a ramble, not good for very young children
10,5 Is guided and leaves around 6:00am and takes +/- three hours this again is good.

Post subject: Which car do I take?
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:22 pm 

I have not been to Mountain Zebra and am looking forward to my first visit during a road trip mostly focussed on a wedding in Oudtshoorn (from the Lowveld via Gauteng). My husband wants to take his large Merc 4x4 (but not off-road as no low range) station wagon. I want to take my Prado. Would we enjoy MZNP more in an offroad vehicle? I'd appreciate some comment.

Post subject: Re: Which car do I take?
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:15 pm 

The roads in the park are mostly dirt roads which are in good condition. The Kranskop Loop about 23km long is a scenic drive up and down the mountains very beautiful which is part dirt and part tarmac. The Rooiplaat Loop about 13 km long is on a plateau and quite flat and is dirt until you enter Link Road which is about another 13km long where certain parts are paved because of the steep parts. There is some tall grass at the moment so higher the vehicle the better to see the animals such as the bat eared fox which are difficult to see in the long grass. There are a couple of othe roads which are all dirt that are joined to Link Road. If you are not doing the 4x4 trails then either car would be OK but if you do the 4x4s then obviously you need a 4x4 vehicle. My choice would be the Prado because I think you are sitting a bit higher. I hope this helps in some small way

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next