SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mountain Zebra National Park Activities Sightings
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:44 am 
Guru
Guru

@GregM-W:

SANParks has a policy of reintroducing the wildlife species which would have occurred historically and naturally in an area. There is very little evidence of elephants in this area in historic references. Elephants would probably have moved through the area, inhabiting mainly the riverine thicket areas as they moved, but would probably not have been permanently resident in the area. Hence, we will not introduce elephants. I trust this provides the clarity you were seeking.

Regards,
Fayroush Ludick - Regional Communications Manager

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:47 pm 
Guru
Guru

Greetings All

I hope everyone had a great Easter Weekend. The park recieved over 50mm of rain and has greened up remarkably quickly.

With the school holidays all the activities have been busy. On most nights we got to see Aardwolf and a record of 6 in one evening. We have also had 5 sightings of Small Spotted Cat/Black Footed Cat. It is supprising how few people know such a thing exists, just shows what a good sighting it is. I also had 3 quick sightings of Brown Hyena.

The cheetah tracking is good as normal. Juba (female cheetah) caught a kudu calf next to the main road, causing a very rare occurrence in MZNP, Traffic jam. The cheetah have been catching mainly kudu calves over the last month. Juba spent alot of time above the camp watching the guests walk past on the Black Eagle Trail.

I have been doing many morning walks and i must say it is the way to explore the park. The sightings are good, but you get to see the small things which are just as fasinating as the big stuff.

Two pics of Locusts supplied by a guest.

Brown Hooded Kingfisher

Cheers for now

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

M.Paxton wrote:
On most nights we got to see Aardwolf and a record of 6 in one evening. We have also had 5 sightings of Small Spotted Cat/Black Footed Cat.

:big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:
WoW Michael!!! Really exciting about the blackfooted cat sightings :mrgreen: I would love to see one of those -- and an aardwolf as well. Both very high on my wish list.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:36 pm 

Thanks Fayroush. Will the two mountain cabins be fenced with the introduction of lion?

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:37 am 
Guru
Guru

No, the mountain cottages have not been fenced, neither will the guest house be.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:23 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

arks wrote:
M.Paxton wrote:
On most nights we got to see Aardwolf and a record of 6 in one evening. We have also had 5 sightings of Small Spotted Cat/Black Footed Cat.

:big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:
WoW Michael!!! Really exciting about the blackfooted cat sightings :mrgreen: I would love to see one of those -- and an aardwolf as well. Both very high on my wish list.

I fully agree with Arks' excitement! 5 sightings of black footed cat!!!! Be honest people, if you look for the award "sighting of the year", look no further. Those ARE the sightings of the year. No competition!

Man, on my next visit to MZNP there is no way a night will pass without me doing a nightdrive.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:58 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
M.Paxton wrote:
With the school holidays all the activities have been busy. On most nights we got to see Aardwolf and a record of 6 in one evening. We have also had 5 sightings of Small Spotted Cat/Black Footed Cat. It is supprising how few people know such a thing exists, just shows what a good sighting it is. I also had 3 quick sightings of Brown Hyena.

Stunning news!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Knowing Brummie's luck they will have gone on holiday when we arrive in August. :cry:

AND no brandy pudding to cheer me up :cry:

(Usain Bolt August 2012)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:33 pm 
Guru
Guru

Greetings All

Once again the activities are providing some good sightings. The Night drives are good on dark still nights. The less moon light there is the more active the nocturnal animals seem to be. Bat-eared foxes, spring hare, porcupine, jackal, aardwolf, small spotted genet have been seen regularly. One night got to see two Aardvark within a hundred meters of each other. Also started to see Black Footed Cats up on Rooiplaat. Brown Hyena have been seen along the main road close to where the lions caught the eland.

Cheetah tracking is great as normal, but for the first time we got to see a cheetah hunting. We were tracking Juba, one of the females, she was activily looking for food so we decided not to disturb her and go back to the vehicle. We anticipated where she would come out and where rewarded with her bolting after a springbok.
Springbok left cheetah right about 80m away, she got to about 40m and then BANG

To see a animal moving at such speed in real time/life is amazing, oh and the springbok just got away.

Kudu Hiding

A lizard put on a thorn by a Fiscal Shrike. The Butcher Bird.
Cheers

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:59 pm 

M.Paxton wrote:
To see a animal moving at such speed in real time/life is amazing

Very WOW :clap: 8)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:59 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

WoW Michael! Thanks for the pix of Juba hunting, must have been most exciting! :dance:

Really want to to visit MZ again (must make a plan, tho it won't be until 2014 I fear), especially exciting that you're again seeing the blackfooted cat!!!

Thanks SO much for your updates :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:57 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Amazing!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you so much for sharing.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:48 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I can imagine the excitement. 8)

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:34 pm 

Hi all, just returned from a wonderful few nights at mountain zebra park! The diversity of wildlife in the park is truly astounding, we found the 2 young male lions on our first morning in the park just as we met up with the rooiplaat loop coming from link road, we were fortunate to have over 30mins with the lions without any other cars in sight, 2 days later the males had caught what sounded like a buffalo right outside the restcamp and hung around for us to catch another glimpse of them!! We were blessed with other wonderful sightings including a caracal on the wilgeboom road, black rhino, massive herd of buffalo as well as an aardvark in the last 30mins before gate closing time on the main road barely a few metres away from the car. Needless to say we signed up for a night drive with Mike Paxton on our last night in the park and were rewarded with 6.......yes 6! !! seperate aardwolf sightings (including a pair mating), plenty of springhares, bat eared foxes, small spotted genet, another aardvark, brown hyena spoor and definitely the cherry on the cake..... A small spotted/black footed cat.... this park truly offers your best chance at seeing a "lifer" in my opinion!!! All that we missed out on was a cheetah... But the other sightings more than made up for it... This park has it all for the nature lover, defintely will be visiting again and again! :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Welcome to the forum #Mike! Sounds like you had a very special visit to MZNP :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: -- which I'll agree is a VERY special park.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next