Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Addo and other Parks - Visitor Guidelines
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:00 pm 

I had a rather strange experience whilst visiting Addo on June 16, it had been raining and so the gravel roads were a little muddy. While heading for the New exit on the way to the Coastal region, I came across a rather arrogant German visitor doing a series of doughnuts in his Namibian registered Nissan 4x4. When I confronted him he asked me whether I was the Boss, I told him as politely as possible in the circumstances that if he had no intention of following the rules of the Park that he leave as soon as possible without breaking the speed limit.
Just prior to this I also found a "gentleman" relieving himself about 20 metres from his car, crazy people.

Then I thought it would be interesting to ask the forum members whether they felt that the general rules were clearly stated when entering the various parks. Particularly to foreigners who may not be used to real wild animals.
Things like:
Speed Limit
The dangers of getting out of your car.
Etiquette when viewing animals.
Etc.

Post subject: Re: Addo and other Parks - Visitor Guidelines
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:41 pm 

Hi Stockman

There have been many threads over the past few months in this regard, not just about ADDO but all the Sanparks. I know that some of the forumites and Sanparks are working on projects (mods please correct me if i'm wrong) to increase awareness with regads to safety for the visitors and animals alike.

However it is not just foreigners who are guilty. Many local visitors are just as guilty :evil:

Regards
Bartman

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:28 pm 

Had a few encounters with idiots too. Ive seen people leaving teh tar roads to "get a better look" Ive seen bakkies with canopies open at teh back, so the kids can see better, Ive seen people trying to scare warthogs. Ive seen refuse thrown into the bush in spekboom....ag....the list is endless.

Would it be a good suggestion to submit photos of these people, if caught red handed, together with all teh photographic info "exif" info. so that they can be fined, or prosecuted.

Alternatively, litterbugs should be ade to walk back and collect their garbage...lions or no lions....

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:16 pm 

Hi,

So if we do see animals, are we allowed to get out of the car to take photos with them? Say elephants?

I am going there soon and don't know anything about the rules and since I saw this topic, I might as well ask!

Thanks

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:27 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Check The FAQ, and especially the brochure which you can download.

No, you are not allowed to get out of the car, you are not allowed to sit in the window, etc.
There are very good reasons for this, which have to do with your safety. Elephants mostly ignore cars, but not people outside of cars. And lions can be hungry, and would not mind a juicy bite.
As you'll soon find out, even a hulking big grey 5 ton elephant can hide behind two tiny trees, never mind the predators.

As for the German gentleman, the easy action to take is to note the licenseplate, take photos if needed, and report him to reception. Action will be taken!

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c