Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: ANGRY ELEPHANT BULL - ADDO
Unread postPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:16 pm 

LOL...ja, they see to find me..! I mentioned i drive a chevvy, which is normally as dusty as the raods there, maybe I look like a dung beetle ??? :redface:

I always maintain, that people should always do what has been written in the brochure, and you cant go wrong.

Im new to this site/foru, and just want to say I think its really amazing to meet up with other regulars as well...I visit at least twice a month, in m yopinion, Addo park is our Eden, and I take my hat off to teh staff - They are the Eden's keepers.

Only irk I have (in spite of teh recent bad press regarding the facilities in the Herald), is actually teh odd bit of litter thats lying around in the park (wild area) itself, obviously strewn about by those who do not have a conscience.
I must admit, on a hot summer day, my car looks like a pigsty inside, with teh empty cooldrink bottles etc...but its 5min to get home, and bag it up.

Later peeps,

Nicky G.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:49 pm 

LOL! Yup - always nice to meet other folks on the forums! I try to go for the weekend twice a month too. I love Addo!
Can't say I have noticed litter in the park area but perhaps I am too busy straining my eyes looking for animals - lol...
My only niggle is the bin in the 'ladies' at the picnic site ... it is always full to overflowing when I am there, and often there is no more paper in the machine to dry ones hands .... but that is a very minor niggle. The toilets are always clean .... Last weekend when we were there the cleaner had just finished cleaning and mopping the floor, but the bin still didn't get emptied or the paper replaced ....maybe someone different does that :?

Unread postPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:37 am 

Im in no position to coment, other than saying im releived at teh new place (picnic) area, as I dont have to have any more heart attacks when using teh Spekboom toilets.....last time I was there, I closed the door, and 2 HUUUUUUge rain spiders were resting there. A few screams later, and my mate came to the rescue... :clap:

I really have no complaints other than that, maybe Im one of teh few who have been lucky never to have caught the park on an "off day"

My theory is that a lot of complaints are made by those who don't quite understand what a National Park is all about. They probably expect the Hilton Hotel, or New York Plaza....one glance at the guestbook in reception will make you chuckle. I think they expect a zoo, where captive animals are housed in barbaric concrete surroundings.. :( :( :(

I wasnt implying teh place is a litter dump lol...merely saying that I can only complain (its more of an irratation) over teh littler, I mean its dissappointing to drive around, and see a beer bottle, or a tissue hanging from a bush.
:sniper:

I once wrote a note on Facebook as well...publicly saying that if i ever came across anybody poaching, my excuse to teh police would " sorry officer, but my brakes failed" :whistle: - just like poachers, I have no conscience.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:57 pm 

I grew up in the Kafue National Park in Zambia, which at that stage, was literally virgin bush. I've had many harrowing escapades with animals, including a lion attacking my dad in the camp right in front of us. I fully agree about the musth issue - we, as the intruders in the parks, need to be more aware of how our hosts are feeling before we invade their space. Paul made life very interesting that day - my biggest fear was that barkingmad was going to reverse into my bakkie(hubby wasn't with me that day), because I had parked sideways behind them to catch the shot! However Paul has displayed more issues with cars than the other elephants in my visits. Something we all need to bear in mind when travelling in the park. I've also been surrounded by elephants with calves but have never felt threatened. Such awesome creatures! You rock Addo - don't every change!

Unread postPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:59 pm 

LOL, Barkingmad's hubby would not have reversed into your bakkie. We saw him again last weekend, but at a distance. This weekend although many ellies around, we did not see Paul.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:04 pm 

NickyG, haha, yup I remember the spiders in the toilets there, but I saw them as a photo opportunity and took some pics. I have been amazed at the amount of webs on the bushes at Addo, yet I never seem to spot the spiders :)

Unread postPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:52 pm 

NickyG - we did a little joking test of the gate staff at Addo today. Signing in with our vehicle, under 'reason for visit', instead of putting 'visit', we put POACHING in big letters. He smilingly opened the boom and said 'enjoy your visit'. To the Addo staff THIS WAS A JOKE!!! I laughingly said to my husband that suddenly helicopters, cops and rangers with guns were going to descend on us. Scarier than Paul!!!

The thought stayed with me for our entire visit at Addo today. Hardly any ellies, no Paul, TONS of kudu making whoopie, a few ellies making whoopie and two dagga boys cooling off. Nice day, though. Got a lovely shot of a kudu bull jumping over a bush when they got a bit spooked.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:07 pm 

LOL :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Classic!!

I was there too today, got in around 8-ish due to teh traffic roadworks :( Missed y golden hour....
Never dissappointed though, saw at least 12 jackal on teh Gorah loop's new road, and I think the zebras must have drawn teh short straws, they were out in full force from Carols rest to teh Southern Gate, have a nice small foal pic, must still download it.

saw 4 Buffalo, loads of kudu, eerj\kat, yellow ongoose, tortoise, hartebeeste, a goshawk, glossy starlings, and elephants....nice all round trip. Unfortunately no lions, and no hyeanas :( always a next time.
Im still LOL@ visitor's for..... :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:08 pm 

I must get a new keyboard...my 'm' button is on strike....like transnet...

Unread postPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Not only your 'm' button :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:40 pm 

Ha - Jenni and NickyG - so we were all there today - but didn't see each other - or did we? NickyG what time were you at Carols Rest? We were there for nearly 2 hours this morning ...
Saw there had been a lion sighting there looking at the board when we left ...

Unread postPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:15 pm 

Cant quite remember the time, but there was a buffalo bull, zebras, and hartebeest all there, It must have been 10-ish or so. made a turn there at 4pm on my last rounds lol

Micetta, im lysdexic........................................ :wink:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:32 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

@NickyG - You are not only dislectic, you are also an invitation for a slap :wink: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:54 am 

Now or later ?

(from now until later more like)
:shock:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:58 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Now for sure :twisted: later is to be seen :whistle: as long as you do not treat the english language so badly.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next