Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Addo experience wonderful but where to next?
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:05 pm 

My wife and I stayed 7 days in Addo in May 2014 and really enjoyed our stay. We saw hundreds of Elephants, Lions eating, Zebra, the only animals we didn't see where Rhinos and that was to be expected.
We are planning our next trip in 2016 and as we both love South Africa we ask ourselves where to next that compares with Addo. Let me add the only aspect that spoilt our visit in South Africa was the road driving, it terrifies me. So that being said we would really love to stay in SanParks as we want to support SanParks.
What is Kruger Park really like we really don't want to be immersed in a wild touristy environment, as we totally enjoyed the Addo Park environment, is Kruger like Addo or is it very busy and touristy and can one get there in a safe drive?
We welcome any comments

Post subject: Re: Addo experience wonderful but where to next?
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:24 pm 

Hi Robertjoy

Next is most definitely Kruger. If you loved Addo, Kruger is for you. If you can afford to fly directly into Skukuza, either from a connecting flight from ORT, or CT in SA, then that will take care of the driving on the SA roads. And you are not the only one to be put off by SA road driving. Or you can fly to Nelspruit (Kruger Mpumalanga International, or Phalaborwa International).

If you visit out of school holiday period then Kruger is a delight. Try and experience both the south for the game sightings, and some of the north for the true Africa bush experience. I know both parks well. Kruger is way more wild and removed from hints of civilization such as the trains and air traffic at Addo, and the views out of the park to neighbouring farms. In Kruger one can get totally 'lost' in the wild.

I love Addo, it is charming, and if you loved Addo, you HAVE TO visit Kruger.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Robertjoy,

You need to tell us what you really want to experience...

Addo is a glorified zoo: high concentration of elephants, warthog, giant tortoises and kudus; lots of zebra, buffalo, hartebeest; a few eland, hyenas bushbuck, duiker, caracal lynx; scarce sightings of lions; rhinos... seldom.

Kruger is totally different: You travel further to see the same number of animals; there are so many options and roads you could spend a year trying them all; more predators usually seen; human activity in school holidays worse than Addo...

I don't know why you are so scared of our roads -- just take it easy and don't travel too far in one day.

Kruger is fantastic, but so is Kgalagadi where you will see far fewer people, feel you are really in the wild, see amazing lion/cheetah sightings, but travel a lot to see even lower concentrations than in Kruger...and the road from Upington is so quiet you will be happy to see another vehicle now and then!

If you have decided Kruger is the only option... I would spend 3 nights in the south for wild dogs, lions, cheetahs and elephant/buffalo... 3 nights in the central part like Satara/Tamboti/Balule for higher concentrations of cats and wildlife... 3 nights further north like Shingwedzi for lots of elephants and buffalo plus lower concentrations of general wildlife, but much quieter and wilder than the central or southern Kruger...

Do let us know what you have decided!

God bless,
Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:02 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Good morning Robert Joy

We love Addo, absolutely love it. We also love Kruger, Karoo and West Coast National Parks. We have found that comparing them to each other hinders the experience as they are not only so different, but offer different experiences.

Addo is tiny, riverine forest and close to a big city. At any elevated area, you can see out of the park, and with good eyes the fences also. Addo is a reserve, whereas Kruger is an entire country, where you can drive through 2 to 3 different ecological areas and different climates in a day. After entering the park and driving for half an hour, you will still only be at the start with only wilderness for kilometres around. (In fact if you enter at Orpen Gate you will drive for about 20 minutes in wilderness before even entering the park, due to the private reserves which share unfenced boundaries with Kruger.

Some people love the South, because it is a game rich area, however if you truly feel that you really don't want to be immersed in a wild touristy environment then avoid Tshokwane picnic spot and anything south of it. Satara area has great game viewing also busy, but not anywhere close to as busy as south of Tshokwane and once you cross the Olifants River the experience just gets wilder with less people and great camps. Game a little more challenging to see, but also more rewarding.
Don’t forget Kgalagdi National Park.
Enjoy the planning for 2016.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:24 pm 

Friedrich von Hörsten wrote:
Hi Robertjoy,

You need to tell us what you really want to experience...

Addo is a glorified zoo: high concentration of elephants, warthog, giant tortoises and kudus; lots of zebra, buffalo, hartebeest; a few eland, hyenas bushbuck, duiker, caracal lynx; scarce sightings of lions; rhinos... seldom.

Kruger is totally different: You travel further to see the same number of animals; there are so many options and roads you could spend a year trying them all; more predators usually seen; human activity in school holidays worse than Addo...

I don't know why you are so scared of our roads -- just take it easy and don't travel too far in one day.

Kruger is fantastic, but so is Kgalagadi where you will see far fewer people, feel you are really in the wild, see amazing lion/cheetah sightings, but travel a lot to see even lower concentrations than in Kruger...and the road from Upington is so quiet you will be happy to see another vehicle now and then!

If you have decided Kruger is the only option... I would spend 3 nights in the south for wild dogs, lions, cheetahs and elephant/buffalo... 3 nights in the central part like Satara/Tamboti/Balule for higher concentrations of cats and wildlife... 3 nights further north like Shingwedzi for lots of elephants and buffalo plus lower concentrations of general wildlife, but much quieter and wilder than the central or southern Kruger...

Do let us know what you have decided!

God bless,
Friedrich von Hörsten

" Addo is a glorified zoo?" Friedrich - :hmz: :?

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi, :lol: hope you are not Barking Mad at me! lol!
When comparing animal densities -- yes, Addo is more like a zoo, there are animals everywhere in a small, confined space.
You can also think of number of roads available -- yes, Addo is more like a zoo, 'cause you can ride slowly and complete ALL the roads of the southern game viewing area within a few hours.
And finally if you look far enough -- yes, Addo is more like a zoo, surrounded by farmland and signs of human activity everywhere; in fact I have been pleading with them to start a new camp somewhere where you can't SEE or HEAR any tame human interference...
But I love Addo -- regularly take high school photography club there because of the high concentration of animals in a relatively small space.
Lets rephrase it so you are happy -- Addo has a very high concentration of animals in a limited space that mostly does not feel very wild...
See you in Addo soon!
God bless,
Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:54 am 

I will say upfront that I have not visited Addo yet, although my SO has.

I think the description of Addo as a zoo is a little misleading. Coming from a country that has decimated its own wildlife and resorts to zoos I have some experience.

Here in the UK we have the aforementioned zoos, wildlife parks, safari parks etc etc. In my opinion there is a difference between these and a National Park such as Addo. That difference is freedom. Yes you can drive all the roads in Addo in a day, as you can in the safari/wildlife parks here in the UK. But here the animals are segregated in individual enclosures, however large, and cannot interact. And are fed by humans. In Addo, yes they are fenced in but within the fences they can roam where they will, they are wild and not caged. You get to see the interaction between an elephant and a warthog. Lions can and do take their own meals.

I do understand what you are trying to say about the size of Addo Friedrich, especially compared to Kruger. But to compare it to a zoo or such like is not a fair comparison. I don't think there is one.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:22 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Please let me add my tuppence worth ..... We have been to Addo a couple of times and although
I admit it is not the kruger it is definitely not a zoo ... Yes you can drive it in one day but you can
also travel a long time before seeing even elephants .. Like other parks you have to search them
out ... It may not have the different species but there are still lots to find ..
Must also add to Robertjoy that the kruger is an altogether different experience and one that you
must do ...

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sorry for getting everybody side-tracked by using a word that offends some of you. Lets get back to helping the person to enjoy those new, bigger dreams by sharing our wisdom/experience.
If you really want to avoid "touristy" game viewing...
I would still suggest that you do some careful research and compare Kruger with Kgalagadi, and maybe oneday you will feel comfortable enough to venture even further afield where there are bigger horizons with wilder experiences and far less people than you would find in Kruger...think Botswana, think Zimbabwe... think Mana Pools where you may get out of your vehicle anywhere and follow elephants or wild dogs on foot, alone, unguarded, with only your camera and your wits...
Hope all your dreams come true!
God bless,
Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:22 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Maybe best to explore Kruger first. If you like the experience, than surely visit Kgalagadi afterwards.

Another thing: if for some reason you would decide to go back to Addo, do NOT forget to include Mountain Zebra NP in your itinerary: this little park is a real gem. Game viewing with an awe inspiring scenical backdrop.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:23 am 

Thank you for every-bodies input and thoughtful ideas and comments.
Sure looks as if we will visit Kruger after all.
The ideas about seeing Zim is sadly not an option as I have lived in Zim and will not visit as I consider it a dangerous place to visit and expensive compared to wonderful South Africa.
We will visit Kruger outside of school holidays as that will add to the enjoyment and less people.
I didn't see Addo as a zoo but I guess it could be seen as that compared to the vastness of some other places.
The idea of flying in from J'burg is an attraction as the view from my inside mirror of the behind vehicles passengers so close I could see the gold fillings is very scary.
Thank you again and we enjoyed Addo so off to Kruger it will be, I'll fly the Yellow Ribbon.