SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

luislang wrote:
In short this is what I read in a local newspaper yesterday.
" Bait ball near Bird Island"
According to Lloyd Edwards, who apparently is a boat-based whale watching tourism operator to Bird Island, the migration of sardines on there way to KwaZulu Natal took place 8km off Bird Island. According to him he has never seen sardines to this magnitude here before. Predators such as Bryde's whales (about 20), 10 minke whales, several copper sharks & a school of about 3,000 common dolphins, african penguins, cape gannets & cape fur seals were seen. What a sight that must've been!

We have witnessed the attraction of bait balls on birds, whales and sharks on a number of occasions from our house at Schoenies. Even from a distance of a couple of kilometers, it is possible to see, with the naked eye, the sea "boiling" with the mad rushing of Bryde's and Minke's, dolphins, sharks and many thousands of Gannets dive bombing the ball.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

gwendolen wrote:
j-ms wrote:
gwendolen wrote:
I would like to read more about this problem as mentioned by Peter Betts. Can anyone direct me in the right direction?

The Port Elizabeth newspaper, the Eastern Province Herald, has regular articles on the very well known poaching problem.

Thanks for the link j-ms. :)

Does anyone know where I can find any more background information, recent reports?

A search on the EP Herald's sight yileded 1086 articles on the search word "perlemoen". It is preferable to use both perlemoen and abalone as most articles will tend to use the Afrikaans term for the shellfish.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:35 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Ah, will try that. Thanks.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:08 pm 

I have often seen poachers launching their extra long Rubber ducks with two huge engines off HOBIE BEACH on the main tourist beaches on the beach front in the middle of PE at lunch. I always used to report it to the police (10111) , the Environmental Editor of the EP Herald (to come and take photos) who has just won a SAN Parks Kudu Award and the Ranger at Addo, and I am often told that there is "nothing we can do" I never give my name and number to the police as it is common knowledge of a lot of involvement in the force, and these guys are the scum of the earth and will not hesitate to take out anyone who stands in their way (I am not being dramatic) the poachers have won .The sea is almost completely denuded of this once common resource. Friends of mine have been threatened because they were taking down registration numbers of "Perlie"cars at Cape Recife. Maybe this forum can do something as it is completely out of control down here despite the odd success and arrests, but they have HUGE cash reserves to pay bail and bribe. I get very upset when I go looking at terns at Cape Recife and they are ALWAYS there. one must not make eye contact and its best just to leave. Here in PE the young unmarrieds go out on a Friday night but stay mainly at home on a Saturday night because the Perlies have taken over all their night spots. My other PE forumites have been very kind when referring to these people. I mentioned in a previous post that they camp on Bird Island and have literally stopped the terns breeding over the last two seasons and their powerful boats easily outrun the authorities in their slower boats. It's Bad.

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:58 pm 

Quote:
Can someone comment about the Bird Island problem and if anything is being done about it..?

@ Graemy,

I didn't read all 1000 hits, but did find these two articles about a proposed ban diving ban.

Diving ban proposed to help curb poaching & Blanket diving ban impractical

It seems a very drastic step to take and I'm not sure that if it passed legislation how it will be policed. The crux of the problem seems to be that there are too little resources to fight (this sort of) crime already.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:53 pm 

There was a proposal for a diving ban but the commercial tourist dive companies would have been put out of business. This morning there were 2 rubber ducks leaving the Swarkops river mouth with a total of 23 divers en route to Bird Island and a further 9 I saw leave at lunch time from Hobie Beach right next to Shark pier on the main PE beachfront and not a policeman in sight. Apparently the activity is slacking a bit as the Abalone are just about gone (extinct) ...reminds me of Rwanda when the world did nothing

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:48 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hey Everyone,

You know the penguins which were affected by the oil spilage on Bird Island. They were sent to SANCOB which is a minute drive from where I stay & they were recently released on the Blouberg/ Big Bay beach. What Great News :)

Post subject: P.E. Bird Island
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:28 pm 

Hi,

Can one do trips to bird island?

Regards,
Andre

Post subject: Re: P.E. Bird Island
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:03 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi Andre,
We do not offer trips to Bird Island currently although it is something we are looking into for the future, dependent on the effect it would have on the breeding colonies of birds on the island.

There are some boat operators ased in PE and Port Alfred who take out boat charters that can go nearby the island. I suggest you contact Nelson Mandela Bay Tourism for a list of operators.

Post subject: Re: P.E. Bird Island
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:32 am 

The Honorary Rangers of Addo are planning a Birding Boat trip to Bird Island round about July.