Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1089 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2011 is Addo and MZ NP's turn - advice
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Friends of mine just returned from Addo and they also visited Kruger earlier this year. They were sceptical, but returned with nice pics and interesting experiences - definately changed their perceptions.

Well, we are a week away to go to Kruger and then I will arrange my booking for Addo and MZNP!

Haupie, I will look out for your YR at B&D end Sep'10.

Post subject: Re: Addo: Advice
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Can anybody tell me whether you can see the waterhole at Addo main camp from chalet nr 16? If not, is it a good chalet to make a special request for? :hmz: It is situated near to the guesthouses which have a splendid view. Booked a chalet (CH2/4) for 3 nights :dance: can't wait. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:49 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

You won't be. Have a look at the camp map.
I also see that 16 is a FCH4, not a CH2/4....

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Addo Park - First time visit
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:35 pm 

Hello,
We are going to Cape Town for our honeymoon in January, and since we're in South Africa, would love to do a safari. We dont have much time, else we would have gone up north to Kruger etc, but having researched Addo, it seems like its pretty special as well. Our plan is to fly into Port Elizabeth in the morning, drive to Addo, spend the day/night there, and fly out the next morning / early afternoon. However, I had a few questions:

1) What accommodation is recommended? (especially since its our honeymoon) - Ideally we would like a lodge etc to have a pick and drop service from the airport.

2) Do most lodges offer overnight safari packages? We wont have our own car, so would need to do be driven around; would like an afternoon, evening and early morning drive.

3) Is Addo worth it? Do you get to see the Big 5? We can also go to safaris near to Cape Town like Aquila or Inverdoorn, but wanted to get a proper safari experience, hence we are willing to spend extra money / time to come to Addo.

4) Has anyone done such a trip as we are planning? Any feedback would be great.

Would be awesome to hear you thoughts! Thanks for reading this!

Post subject: Re: Addo Park - First time visit
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I don't have first hand knowledge on Addo. I am sure somebody will stiil answer your questions. The only thing I can say is: "Don't waste your money and time on Aquilla and Inverdoorn".

Post subject: Re: Addo Park - First time visit
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:00 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi Adilahmad,

If it's five-star luxury you want to go for, it would be best to stay in one of Addo's concession lodges. Have a look here: Addo Concession Lodges These lodges usually have transfer services as well as game drives included and some have special honeymoon suites.

If you don't want to go for the five-star experience, there is plenty of accommodation in the Park and we can refer you to some operators who offer transport services.

Addo is definitely worth it, but if you have a look at some of the feedback from other visitors in this forum, you can read this for yourself. Enjoy the honeymoon and may you have many happy years together!

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:28 pm 

Hi there!
Im completely new to this forum so I hope yu bare with me :) Im going to CT in december and we plan to rent a car in CT and drive to Addo as part of our 2 week visit in SA. Is it reasonable? Do we need to take a nights rest on the way? About accomodation in and around Addo, I´ve noticed that alot of available accomodation are booked already. Do anyone know how the B&Bs in the area are? For example http://www.greentree.co.za/ Any other tips of acommodation?
One last question - has anyone tried the hores trails in Addo?

Thanks in advance, I´m so looking ofrward to come to SA :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:21 am 
G'day Jossan
Welcome
It is very reasonable to drive from Cape Town to Addo. It will take about 8 hours easy driving and sticking to speed limits. It could take longer with road works.

The last time we did this trip, we left at 06h00 and stopped at many points of interest, for example to look out point just before Wilderness to take panoramic pictures of one of the most beautiful places in the world, also saw a whale close to shore in that area.

Stopped in Knysna to take in some sites, and also spent some time at the Bloukraans Bungee watching crazy people jump of a 216m high bridge. We drove into PE to buy some supplies and got to main camp reception at 16h00.

So yeah, no need to stay over night anywhere.

Enjoy your stay, and don't rush.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:41 am 

Thank you so much LionWhisperer! :D Its great to have some inside information before the trip! If anyone has more tips I´m glad to hear from you aswell!
See you!

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:04 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Jossan and welcome to the forums :thumbs_up: If you want stay in the park there is not much availabilities left at least in the main camp. Have a look here. Unfortunately I cannot help you with the B&Bs. We are staying in the park.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:43 pm 
Guru
Guru

Welcome Jossan,
If you can't find accommodation inside the Park, you can look at this page http://www.sanparks.org/parks/addo/tourism/accommodation.php for links to the accommodation (B&Bs etc) surrounding the Park.

Post subject: URGENT: Addo main camp -What is better, chalets or cottages?
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:50 pm 

We have a choice between chalet or cottage for our preferred dates. Which is better located & more comfortable for a couple with 6 month old baby? Thanks :)

Post subject: Re: URGENT: Addo main camp -What is better, chalets or cottages?
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:58 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Depends what you want...

This is the camp.
Want to be near the waterhole? Or?

Have a look at the photos of the cottages, just click the photos to get an impression.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Re: URGENT: Addo main camp -What is better, chalets or cottages?
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:40 am 

We stayed in the Rondavel and loved it. If you can get a view of the waterhole it's worth every penny! Nothing like sitting on your porch watching the procession of visitors, especially the last 1/2 to 1 hour of daylight after the game area closes. Good luck!

Post subject: What best to do on 1st visit to Addo
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:56 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi
This is my 1st time (trying) to post a message!!
Can anyone help me. We are arriving from the UK in the next few weeks and have booked our 1st visit to the Addo for 3 days 21st/24th Nov. staying in at the Matyholweni Rest Camp - can anyone give us tips on how to make the best of our few days

Ta Dellac

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1089 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next