Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Best Thing to Do in Addo
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:23 pm 
Guru
Guru

What is your absolute best thing to do when you visit Addo Elephant National Park?

I would love to know what everyone thinks..... :D

Post subject: Re: Best Thing to Do in Addo
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:46 pm 

Hi Megan

We like waking up in Addo (leave home Fridays after 5pm). Go for a early drive with flask of coffe - drink it at one of the dams. Return to camp for a skottel breakfast. Relax at the campsite till a bit later and then go for a proper game drive. After dark, relax around the fire and have a braai. Just before going to bed we take a walk to the waterhole to see if there's anything going on. Have a sherry and off to bed after a hot bath (there is always hot water in the ablutions - no matter how full the camp).

Next morning - repeat of the above - only negative is that we have to leave after the 2nd game drive to go home.......till next time.....

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sit at the waterhole near the resturant, after dark and wait for the buffalo to come down to drink. Glass of wine or amarula in hand of course :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I'll let you know next year after i make my first trip to Addo :thumbs_up:
Can't wait I follow the addo lions thread religiously.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:49 pm 

sitting at Marion Baree, drinking amarula- hot choc- coffee, and listening and waiting...

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:10 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Definitely the gathering of all the clans at Hapoor dam at 10h00. I have never seen so many eles in one place at one time.

Second is the cheescake and coffee, and looking at the waterhole from camp :roll:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Apart from the early mornings with coffee at a viewpoint, sometimes while waiting at the gate, and looking for the lions, which became a real obsession for me, the best is sitting at Gwarrie Pan the last hour before the gates close. There you see different animals coming for a drink before the night fall.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:hmz: This is a very difficult question - have only been to Addo once (Dec 07 / Jan 08) but am absolutely bowled over by the Park.
So much to do - where do you start! - This is some of our experience...
Getting into the main Game Area just as the gates open and then making the Oh so important decision as to which road to take! Hoping for the best ever sightings.
Sitting at either Carols Rest, Domkrag or any waterhole and having your coffee and rusks or maybe leftover braai on sarmies for brekkie.
Sitting at the bird hide and watching a desperate weaver making a nest - ever hopeful that the missus will approve, and the next day - seeing how nervous he is when she comes to inspect.
Sitting in your tent and experiencing a thunder storm of note - thankful that you managed to braai the chops before the heavens opened up and then on Old Years Eve, sharing a glass of sparkling wine, playing a game of cards with rain, thunder and lightning all around you - and might I add, thunder that made me jump out of my camping chair!
Encountering a fellow CT Addo visitor who tells you where the lions are at... and actually seeing one of them. (either Bitterbal or Nossob - not sure).
And an even more helpful "private game drive jeep jockey" who tells you where to spot meerkat, and following his advice, you get to see them.
Having a delicious supper at the Restaurant - could not eat the Kudu Steak after having seen the beautiful Kudu so up close and personal - settled for Chicken.
Stopping at Domkrag and watching the Hyena (about 5 in total) who had stored a Kudu Kill in the reeds and then dragged it out in the early morning hours to feast - with black backed jackal eagerly milling about hoping to get a taste, pied crows also ever hopeful hovering in the wings.
Bird life - both at the campsite and on the roads in the game park. :thumbs_up:
Meeting up with fellow forumites for a braai on the hottest day ever - but still having a good time.
Wallowing in the pool - the temp was seriously over the wall - the only day that we in fact never ventured out into the Park. Same day that we had our forumite braai. (WarthogB, Nightowl, Munchkin and all the SO's)
Final Verdict - Every day in Addo brings with it its own unique promise of special memories and something you just have to experience!
Go! Visit! Enjoy!

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:35 am 

Breakfast at Marion B. The animals are so close you can smell them and you can hear them drinking.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:09 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Megan, I enjoy the dark nights in the campsites listening to the jackals and going to the underground hide or sitting at the restuarnt water hole till late at night. :D
I agree that the gates should open earlier in summer and close later.

What I do not like is that oh so hard ground to try and get a tent peg into :evil:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:26 am 

Take your Toddlers! We took out two in August and they LOVED it. Since ellies are so easy to see and such fun to watch, we had the most amazing time. Bonus: No Malaria!

:D

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:35 am 

Hmmm - best thing to do in Addo has nothing to do with gate times I think. I am going to split this topic and ask you please stay on topic here and list the best thing for you in Addo :D

I have not answered here myself yet, as there as so many best things for me in Addo :clap:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:36 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

My best...sitting in Spekboom Hide in the morning. The light then is perfect for photography..except of course when it rains :evil:
Another best for me are the safari tents. I just love staying in them. Roaring lions , laughing hyenas, screaming jackals and the smell fresh of elephant dung...right on your doorstep. Magic !!!!!

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:24 pm 

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Megan,
Thanks for a lovely thread!

Already mentioned, but still special:

Elephants at Hapoor from 8:00 till12:00 -- literally hundreds all around you -- never seen anything like it except in Hwange, but those ones don't come close to you like this!

Sitting alone at Spekboom hide for breakfast, especially if Roy and Megan are lying on the other side of the fence looking at you!

The new picnic spot -- but only early in the morning while it is still cool -- it gets too hot in the middle of the day in summer.

Always celebrate a spectacular sighting by spending the last 10 minutes before (too early) gate closing times by eating a mango at Domkrag dam -- just relaxing out in the open.

Very close encounters with animals while in the underground hide (sometimes frustrated -- benches too low) -- especially big herds of elephant at sunset.

Your safari tents are very special for budget conscious tourists -- the ONLY accommodation I can really afford at Addo, but lovely night sounds!

Even when I just travel from Cape Town to East London, I often turn off at Colchester, stop at the Matyolweni entrance gate, chat to the people on duty, and have a sandwich while listening to the bird sounds, before continuing my journey!

Thanks and God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten