Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Camdeboo NP Game Viewing Area closed
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:30 pm 

Hi,

just arrived in the Lakeview Tented Camp. The tents are nice, although it's hot (33° C.) we have a bit of shade... We are pleased about the quality of the equipment and the communal area (kitchen, showers).
The camp is now fenced, as Megan wrote some weeks ago. From our tent # 4 we could have a view of the lake (as the name of the camp indicates) - if there weren't bushes in between.

What we did not like is that we were not informed that the game viewing area is closed due to rainfalls. As we had a reservation and SANParks knows our E-Mail-address, it shouldn't be impossible to them to write us so we could have changed our travelling plans. At least they could post closures here in the forum. BTW: all 4x4 routes in MZNP are closed too.

Am I expecting too much?

Regards
Baer

Post subject: Re: Camdeboo NP Game Viewing Area closed
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

No, I don't think you are expecting too much. It is common practice by many role players in the tourism industry to inform reserved clients/guests about factors that may have a negative impact on their stay/visit. I would have been disappointed if it happened to me.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:08 am 
Guru
Guru

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience and disappointment you experienced during your stay.

In the past, we've always announced any road closures on the home page of the specific Park's website. Thank you for alerting us to the fact that we should also upload it onto the Forum, which we'll certainly do in future.

In the meantime, we'll also look into the possibility of alerting checked-in visitors personally.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your response.
I hope you are able to keep up your activity on forum as I have enjoyed reading several of your posts so far.
I have looked at home page for Camdeboo but no info there about closures in game viewing areas ( unless I am missing it somehow).

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:58 am 
Guru
Guru

You may just have missed it. I unfortunately don't have direct access to edit our website, but got our webmaster to post one road closure a few minutes ago. It's at the top of Camdeboo's landing page.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:39 pm 

Thanks for your apologies, Fay. We were really not happy with the handling of the situation but luckily we only booked one night.

Quote:
we'll also look into the possibility of alerting checked-in visitors

I would be happy to hear good news about that in the nearby future...

During our stay we were told that not only "The Sunday's River Crossing is closed due to the river flowing strongly" (Camdeboo webpage) but also the complete game viewing area cannot be accessed, because the northern entrance (Impangele gate at the R63) is closed too. Can you confirm this?

@Stoffel: thanks for your opinion and encouragement. I'm not sure if SANParks considers itself to be a "role player in the tourism industry". I guess nobody expects 4-star-attendance in a national park, but what we have experienced during this trip (6 NPs, 7 camps) is a step backwards compared to the years before.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:41 pm 

Thanks for the update.
We will be arriving in Camdeboo on Jan 21. Hopefully things have changed by then. Nevertheless we be camping at least 2 nights. Looking at the camping spots available we will not make a reservation as there are plenty free.
Apart from exploring Camdeboo we also want to explore Graaff-Reinet.