Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Black rhino in Karoo NP
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:45 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Anyone seen the blackie(s) in Karoo recently, and how many are there?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:28 am 

I know they had a couple as friends saw 2 last year going up the pass. I then watched a Ranger team from Addo earlier this year, from my vantage point at Domkrag...go past and through a gate in the fence into the adjoining area (Kleinvak?????) and waited. They had a truck with crate on...I thought one of the lions was out at first but the chopper soon appeared over the bush a km away and flew in circles....soon a lovely Blackie appeared and trotted across the plain and collapsed...He was crated and brought back to the bomas. I asked them what was happenning...."going to Karoo" so there you are BB we have 3 now anybody want to improve/increase that no :shock:

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:34 am 

BB - I am sure Megan will provide you with the stats when she next checks in here :D

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:45 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi BB,

There are four black rhino in Karoo NP, two of which were introduced in 2005 from Tswalu and the other two in 2007 from Namibia (unfortunately, Peter Betts has his facts wrong again).

More black rhino will be introduced in the future.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Megan for the information. Does anyone know how often there are sightings of the rhinos in Karoo NP?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Lirritma, hopefully after the West Coast / East Coast meet this weekend at Karoo, one of us will have something to report. :pray:

AGULHAS REST CAMP : Sat 14 June 2014 - Mon 16 June 2014 (Our first visit!)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:50 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Munchkin wrote:
Lirritma, hopefully after the West Coast / East Coast meet this weekend at Karoo, one of us will have something to report. :pray:

Oh yes..let's hope so !!! :lol:
Thanks for the info , Megan.

:) :) :) :) :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:30 pm 

Addo Elephant wrote:
Hi BB,

There are four black rhino in Karoo NP, two of which were introduced in 2005 from Tswalu and the other two in 2007 from Namibia (unfortunately, Peter Betts has his facts wrong again).

Then why did the Addo Staff...the ones dressed in Dark Green who had just caught the rhino an hour before tell me it was going to Karoo...it is they who have their facts wrong then not me...I am only as good as the info supplied to me as an outsider who asked a legitimate question to a whole SANParks group/capture team as they drank their cokes outside the shop...then where did that Rhino go caught about 5 months ago?? and then you must tell the capture team where it went as the firmly believed it was going to Karoo National Park

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:29 am 

Hi Peter,

It is really advisable not to post hearsay on the forums. :D Megan does a great job of answering questions here on the Frontier Parks forum with the necessary facts, which she has at her fingertips.

My little experience with capture teams is that for one they are not only staffed with SANParks staff, but use temp staff at times too. I could be way off the mark about that particular capture team though. And that is not really that relevant. I think we should just appreciate that Megan provides the info to us here that she does :D

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:41 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

DinkyBird wrote:
Megan does a great job of answering questions here on the Frontier Parks forum with the necessary facts, which she has at her fingertips.

I think we should just appreciate that Megan provides the info to us here that she does :D

HEAR HEAR :clap: :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:50 pm 

Point taken 100% DB and apologies to Megan if I came across as non appreciative of all she does for us on the forum and me as well. To me and I have known of Megan since I went to a couple of HR meetings at Old Grey YEARS ago and even from those days I appreciated what an asset SAN Parks has got in having a top rate communications person and whats more she is all ours here at Frontier Region...all I did was read a post was it BB I cant remember who asked how many Black Rhinos there were in Karoo. Personally I have no clue so maybe I should have left it like that but as usual thought I would add my 6 eggs and mentioned that friends had seen 2 last year and the now famous non event of a Blackie being caught (witnessed by myself and 3 New Zealand Photography Clients I was showing around after meeting them that morning at Marine hotel PE) They were enthralled as I was by watching the helicopter flying low over the thicket and seeing the Black Rhino finally stride out onto the plain (the only Rhino I have seen at Addo) and defiantly stride head up and all belligerant until it stumbled and fell as the truck arrived with the crate. Not 30 minutes later we were walking past the shop after checking the sightings board and there sat 4-5 rather tired looking guys drinking cokes at the tables in front of the shop. Being the friendly inquisitive guy I am and because of the interest my guests showed I asked if they were on the team to which they said they were. I asked them where the rhino was and was told in the bomas. and when I asked where was it going their spokesman smiled and said "Karoo National Park Beaufort West" Now to me that is good enough info so I was very saddened to learn on the forum that I had my facts wrong, which I thought was an unnecessary and erroneous statement thats all. After all there is a no more passionate salesman and Addo enthusiast than I am and things like that hurt as I wasnt being funny when I posted that and was only repeating what I had heard from the horses mouth so to speak. I will be more circumspect in future and hold my knowledge and opinions to myself

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We saw the fresh spoor of two rhino (together), as well as dung heaps near the kloof where the Doringhoek River exits the "amphi-theatre". The spoor was found in the same area on numerous occasions, but they eluded us.

On one occasion we travelled the new circular route in an anti-clockwise direction and decided to go as far as where the Doornhoek farmstead used to be. We made a U-turn and headed back for camp. We met up with our "neighbours" in the camp (approaching from the front) and told them to keep their eyes open for the rhino. I told them we made a U-turn as the road through the "amphi-theatre" is more scenic and provides more game sightings.

We were informed by them that night that they saw a single black rhino next to the road which I described to them as a rather dull part of the circular route. I'm still seeking for a black rhino sighting in Karoo.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:26 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Didn't see any rhino last weekend. Not a trace, but they showed up on the cybertracker though.

Post subject: In the future snap a few pics ;-)
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:46 pm 

Peter Betts wrote:
I will be more circumspect in future and hold my knowledge and opinions to myself

Hi Peter,

Thanx for your info, much appreciated. Please keep it coming.

Forget the guys in here who over react and accuse you of all sorts of things, I much appreciate your feedback and great pictures. The idea of this forum is to be open and friendly, thanx for reporting what you see. Thanks also to Megan for updating.

You raised a very valuable question. Where is the rhino that was captured? If it wasnt sent to Karoo then why was it captured? Maybe it was the rhino that was hit by the tourist car? but that was quite some time back so i doubt it. Unless they moved it to another section of the same park?

The point is, sometimes people lie, to keep things out the media. Now for those who will jump on me for this post - i am NOT saying Megan is lying, as I know she provides great feedback, however maybe the rhino capture team misled you. This happens. Anyway at least we know a rhino was moved somewhere.. lol

My tip - in the future take lots of pictures and videos ;-)
Here's to hoping I see a rhino on my next trip to Addo.

Peter and Megan - Thanx for always posting good content. Keep up the good work.

Off topic discussion edited by DB

Kruger: 27 April - 30 May 2012

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:05 pm 
Guru
Guru

simonB,

Quote:
The point is, sometimes people lie, to keep things out the media...maybe the rhino capture team misled you

It is best not to make assumptions about this situation as there could be any number of reasons why there was a misunderstanding here. It is also not fair to suppose that the game capture team were being dishonest and that they had some motivation to do so.

We do not mislead the public to keep things out of the media.