Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 869 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 58  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:21 am 
Guru
Guru

In the photos posted of the Kamkwa and her cub, the cub looks about 10 days to 2 weeks old, which would mean it would have been born in the first week of June so Kamkwa would have conceived mid February.

You would not be able to tell whether Bitterbal is the father as Kamkwa was seen being covered by more than one of the male lions. It is in the lioness's interest to mate with as many males as she can as this will give her cubs a better chance of survival. Male lions will kill cubs that they have not sired but if they have mated with a lioness, there is a chance that the cubs could be theirs and they would be less likely to kill the cubs.

Gina could very well be pregnant as she has also been covered by some of the male lions. We would not be sure, however, until she gave birth or showed signs of lactating (and feeding cubs).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:10 pm 

Hi Megan,

Thank you so much for getting the pictures up. New life is always a cause for celebration, isn't it? So I'll raise a "cold one" to the little one later this evening.

Peter - again - wonderful images!

October really can't come quickly enough!

Benn

KNP - 10 nights 05/2007
Addo - 10 nights 12-21/10/2008

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Here are some pics on the lions seen in Addo last week.

First Ardlam and her 2 young ones.

Ardlam

The girl

The boy

The Lunch

Then we found Gina

Looking very pregnant

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:27 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Beautiful!!! Thanks!!! :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:57 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Megan for the photos and the follow up feedback. Lets hope she was "clever" enough to mate with all of the four males so that she can let this one survive.

I've tried this whole week to spot them with no luck .. will try again this afternoon on my way back from work.

A desk is a dangerous place from which to watch the world.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:24 pm 

Lvely pics, Henk :clap: :clap: :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I got these two guys at Marion Baree Friday morning. They just passed through without drinking water.

Image Link to larger version

Ardlam and the youngsters made a kill between Zuurkop and Janwalpan at the same time - we didn't see it but saw the photos taken by some other Addo campers.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:58 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thx Lirritma. So you did find some of them. What beautiful and powerful animals! :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:25 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Salva wrote:
Thx Lirritma. So you did find some of them. What beautiful and powerful animals! :shock:

Well my strategy paid off - at least this time :lol: :lol: . The lions tend to like the area from Spekboom to the south gate so I left park every morning at gate opening time, drove straight to the spekboom area (at the maximum that the park allows :clap: ) and then slowly trough to the south gate. The idea being that if I'm in the same area at the same time every day then I should have the best chance of spotting them on one of the morning - well we got lucky on the last one. :dance: . I freewheeled from the top of the hill down to Marion Baree (got a rhino there the day before) and then spotted part of a mane in a footpath leading to the waterhole. Less than a minute late the first one arrived (think it was Bitterbal) making an entrance with a fantastic roar right next to us - it just sound so much louder in the chilly early morning air. About 2 minutes later we heard another one approaching (probably Nos sob). They just greeted and kept on walking passed the hole without drinking - quite a pity because the reflections on the water would have been fantastic.

Post subject: hehe now i also know whereto go for lions
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:39 am 

Hi lirritma,

Thanx for the info, now I also know where to go looking for them lions. Except i am gona take the outer road then I can speed and get to the other gate earlier, I wonder if that will help :lol:

I bet they are there every morning you just missed them by seconds every day..

Such a pity the outer roads are in such a poor state of repair, i bet its faster going through the park at 30kmph than doping the outside road though, o will decide which is the better option when i see the road again..

Oh man I can't wait to be in Addo again...

Kruger: 27 April - 30 May 2012

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

To gain access through the south gate (old gate) you need to enter the park trough the Matyholweni gate which is about 26 km from the old gate (which I refer to as the South gate). That stretch of road is also at the max speed limit in the park so it doesn't really matter if you enter from Addo main camp or Matyholweni as the distance to the area where I got the lions are about the same.

It's also not true that the lion are always there. At the same time we got the two male other visitors got three lions on a kill in the Zuurberg look-out area and my son saw one at the main camp waterhole at 6:30 on Wednesday last week. They are also seen on a regular basis at Carol's Rest and visitors spotted two males at Domkrag dam mid-morning last week.

Still a case of being at the right place at the right time. A friend of mine followed the same strategy as I did and was not so lucky to find them.

Happy "hunting" :lol:

Post subject: thanx for the tip
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:13 pm 

Hi lirritma

Thanx for the tip.

Yeah the whole fun aspect of the park is the hunting and trying to understand how the animals move around. Hunting also works better if you view the map that shows animal locations, usually Lions lay around in the day, so hopefully if they where seen in one place in the morning they will be in that area later in the day, using this technique I have been lucky to see the lions a few times on recent trips to add.

Anyway lets hope we see them again..

Oh man the excitement is getting bigger and bigger..

Kruger: 27 April - 30 May 2012

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:46 am 
Guru
Guru

DP sent this picture of the cub, which she spotted on the 6th July at about 4.30pm:

Thanks for sharing this with us :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:15 am 
Guru
Guru

Guides on the sunrise game drive saw Kamkwa and Gina this morning, heading back from a kill at a run in Wayne's Valley, presumably to rejoin little cub.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:36 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great to see that the little one is still alive and well. I hope Kamqua can succeed in keeping it like that. Gina seem to be doing a great job in supporting her mom. Lot to learn from it.

I'm busy reading a book on the parallels between animal behaviour and humans and how we can learn from the wild. I'm using it in the workplace to reinforce teamwork amongst staff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 869 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 58  Next