Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 921 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 62  Next
 Post subject: My name is Nossob
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:06 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You thought this is in the wrong section of the forum, didn't you??? Well let me explain.......

My name is Nossob, and that's where I used to live. Then one evening I found some lovely meat lying in the desert, unattended and all. I was drawn to it by the sounds of an animal dying, so when I got there and found the animal already dead, I didn't give it a second thought and started feeding.

Then all of a sudden, I heard an exploding sound and got a serious sting in my bum!! I jumped up and swore a few times at this bloody wasp that nailed me. Then I became quite sleepy...

I recall very little after that, except a few bright lights and human voices and car noises, but it is all very vague to me.

I woke up the next morning, and noticed it is decidedly cooler than what I am used to, and the bush is a LOT denser than what I remembered it to be.

I walked around and soon found a friend. His name is Bitterbal. He is from Bitterpan in KTP. I asked him how he got here and he told me a story very similar to my own. He said he asked around and that we are now in a place called Addo. I asked him how he got his name and he told me that he is from Bitterpan but he accidentally killed his own cubs one day, thinking they were someone else's. So the name just stuck for some reason....

So Bitterbal and myself decided to hang out together in this new Addo place. We are now the dominant males around here, and life is pretty good. At first the buffalo were so stupid that they didn't even try to defend each other like they usually do when we chase them. Apparently they haven't seen Lions till we got here.
Unfortunately, they had a strategy meeting, and figured out how other Buffs defend themselves and they have been using that tactic ever since, so we kill less of them now, and more of the other game. There are quite a few warthogs around, so we are getting their numbers down to restore some balance, but we don't only take warthogs, we alternate kills.

The guy that took this photo of me had some yellow ribbon on his car, I was wondering what that was all about. We saw him three times, twice on a night drive when Bitterbal and myself were just sleeping and not in the mood to put up a show, once again on a night drive when I was hunting by myself and the last time when he took this photo. We were lying around a waterhole for the whole day and he was there in the morning and came back later in the afternoon. Him and the woman he was with were very cuddly with each other as if they are on honeymoon or something.

Anyway, so he took this photo when we decided to cross the road and find something to eat because I didn't kill anything the day before. He was quite lucky to get this photo, as he took it as I lay down. I was lying down only for ten seconds and then I got up and disappeared from view.

Anyway, so now you know me and my story. So here is my mugshot. Come visit me anytime ok???

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:18 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Thank you Loams for posting this absolutely great story! :thumbs_up:
I just love to read it.And thanx for the pic of this great looking Lion! 8)
(And I have to admit, in the beginning I was a bit confused to read the name of Nossob here in the Frontier Parks section of the Forum ) :lol:

While beeing in KTP we visited Kamqua Picnic Spot.
In Addo there is a lioness called Kamkwa (we saw her on our Trip to Addo May 2005).

Here is a pic of her:

(Sorry it's not that good,but I took it through the window of the car!)

Now I wonder how Bitterbal does look like.
Does anyone has a pic of him?

Katy

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:36 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Award: Travel tale of the Year - Other Parks (2012)
GavinW wrote:
Hi Katy
We are going to Addo this coming long weekend and hopefully I will be able to show you his picture on my return :lol: :wink:

OK, now I'm bragging!! I really didn't expect to see a lion at Addo, but we sure did. I will get the pics posted as soon as I can. The lion we saw, a male was in an open field near Carol's rest,then got up and walked right past our car. Awesome!! He had quite a bad cut under his left eye. We also got some amazing elephant shots.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sorry, but this is the best pic I have of him. But as promised....
I wonder if Jannie from KTP knows these two.....

BitterBal:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:29 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

GavinW wrote:
<...>I will get the pics posted as soon as I can. The lion we saw, a male was in an open field near Carol's rest,then got up and walked right past our car. Awesome!! He had quite a bad cut under his left eye. We also got some amazing elephant shots.

(posting pic on behalf of GavinW):

Nossob: 8)

More pics, including the ellies, here.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:44 am 
Guru
Guru

Wow, that's a great pic of Nossob. Its amazing how his mane has developed into that full black variety if you compare it to the scraggly mane he had when he arrived in 2003 (of course he was much younger then).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:11 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Loams wrote:

BitterBal:

What waterhole was this?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:23 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You are right Salva. Nothing comes close to the majesty and confidence a Lion exudes in his prime....

My pic was taken in December (26th I think) at Domkrag. Nossob and him (Bitterbal) was around there the whole day. I took some great video of them hunting Zebra and Warthogs, but they failed miserably.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

To see how these young guys have grown up since they arrived in Addo, have a look at this video clip that lam took two years ago. Just a little laddie swotting at flies !

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:14 pm 
Guru
Guru

All the lions are still doing well and have grown into magnificent animals as you can see by all the great photos that have been posted.

Nossob and Bitterbal have taken the role of the dominant male coalition, with Nossob being the most dominant of the two, due to his age. They occupy most of the central territory of the main game area of the park. Nossob is also the father of the three cubs, now almost a year old, and is quite a tolerant guy when they feel like playing.

Tsama and Kalahari, being the subordinate male coalition, occupy the periferal territory in the park.

The two lionesses seem to spend time with the males when they feel like it, but otherwise are quite independent.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

j-ms wrote:
To see how these young guys have grown up since they arrived in Addo, have a look at this video clip that lam took two years ago. Just a little laddie swotting at flies !

Lovely video

Now without going so far as to call you a Liar, are you sure that's Bitterbal (or Nossob)?? If I compare the Lion in the video, with the Lion in it's present state, it's hard to imagine they could grow so much in two years??

Happy to be corrected

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:05 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ja Loams, I'm not sure either, but I didn't intend to suggest that this was Nossob or Bitterbal but simply how the young males (if my mind serves me correctly they were all quite young) have grown up. Maybe Megan can suggest which oakie we're looking at in the video.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:45 pm 

katydownunder wrote:
Loams wrote:

BitterBal:

Thank so much Loams for having a look through your photos for a pic of Biterbal. :D
We have never been that lucky to see one of the male Lions in Addo.

Katy

This is "Kalahari" the Blonde Addo Male..Bitterbal and Nossob are Black maned

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:33 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sorry PB, you are wrong. The Lion in my pic is Bitterbal, there is absolutely no doubt. We found them (Nossob and Bitterbal) at Domkrag during the night drive and they were identified as thus. They were there the next morning still, and it was confirmed to me by an HR lady on the scene to be Nossob and Bitterbal. That is also where the picture was taken.

Kalahari is a lone male, Nossob and Bitterbal are a coalition. The Lion in my pic was with Nossob. The Lion in your pic is also Nossob I suspect but I cant be sure.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:58 pm 

Loams wrote:
Sorry PB, you are wrong. The Lion in my pic is Bitterbal, there is absolutely no doubt. We found them (Nossob and Bitterbal) at Domkrag during the night drive and they were identified as thus. They were there the next morning still, and it was confirmed to me by an HR lady on the scene to be Nossob and Bitterbal. That is also where the picture was taken.

Kalahari is a lone male, Nossob and Bitterbal are a coalition. The Lion in my pic was with Nossob. The Lion in your pic is also Nossob I suspect but I cant be sure.

I dont think so Loams..that lion in your pic is very blonde (on my 19 ' flat monitor it is anyway but when you saw them they were newish in the Park and I wasnt going there once or twice a week then as I have been for the last 18 months ...but like woman who are Blonde as teenagers many go quite dark in middle age so we will leave it like that. They got 6 lions originally and this is what they look like today
This is Ardlam
This is Kamqua (Gina at the back was born at Addo
This is one of the Junior Coalition "Kalahari" the only Blond Male at Addo. He hangs around with his partner Tsama when I have seen him.
This is Tsama who is asserting himself this year and we know he mated with Kamqua and Gina recently (I saw the Kamqua mating.)
BIG Apologies the big lion I posted yesterday is in fact Nossob (finger trouble) and you can tell by his neat cut off Mane across his Chest.
Here is an up todate pic of Nossob taken 2 weeks ago
Bitterbal is the 'Darkest and biggest in size" male at Addo and here he is with Nossob
Bitterbal is lying down...but you can see he is a Blackie and bigger than his pal sitting up on the left. Hope that helps ...As I say I see them on average every three weeks and I go to Addo every week and sometimes more . I talk to the Scientist a lot and we cooperate...Some HRs Knowledge is diabolical but that doesnot detract one little bit from the goosd work they do on a voluntary basis..maybe your HR lady was having a stab???

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 921 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 62  Next