Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:05 am 
Guru
Guru

Thanks, arks, I have seen the article and its great that our Parks are getting exposure in the US.

Quote:
we have come across guide plus driver with the same result, chatter rather than silence

Skillie, could you give me more details about your experience so that we can take it up with the guides concerned because this is definitely not the type of experience we promote. However, if we don't know who the guides are, it's difficult to set them on the right course.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:11 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

First I ought to make it clear I was sympathising with the negative experience of chattering guides but my experiences were on night drives from Satara and not in the Addo. Apologies if it came across that way! :lol:
SO recalls similar experiences from Lower Sabie, so much so that we decided to stop taking night drives for a couple of years.

Unfortunately at that time I was not in the forum and did not note down the names. You can be sure in future I will do so.
It is true that these instances are the exception rather than the rule but it is good to see the vigilance of admin in trying to provide the best possible experience for the visitors. Thank you and keep up the good work! :lol:

For anyone interested this was also discussed indrives and walks page 21

Post subject: Cycling in Matyholweni Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:23 pm 

Hi. As I excitedly :o pack for Addo this coming long weekend I wondered if, given that there are no big 5 animals in the colchester section we would be allowed to ride mountain bikes on the roads (therefore no damage to paths etc) around the camp at Matyholweni. I am assuming that riding mountain bikes in Addo itself is not allowed. Please advise.
Thank you

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:32 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi
Riding of mountain bikes around Matyholweni and its roads is not allowed. If you wanted to ride your bike, you could do so in the town of Colchester but bear in mind that you need to cross the busy N2 to get to the southern side of the town which borders the Sundays River.

Visitors who bring their bikes to Main Camp usually ride on the tar road between Addo town and Paterson as it is a little too crowded on the roads around the accommodation units.

Post subject: camping and horse riding
Unread postPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:50 am 

Looking for information on a secluded place for 3 good friends to camp out and ride a horse in and rent the horse for 3 days and do safari horseback if possible. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:23 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi and welcome
The only SANpark i know of where you can ride horses is Golden Gate.
info here

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:28 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Try Addo, although it is daily hire, otherwise Malealea in Lesotho. If this is off the radar mods, maybe RS could PM me if interested.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:51 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi
Addo Elephant National Park offers various horse trails, from one-hour to five-hour trails. Some of these are based in the Nyathi area of the Park where we have the Big Five (except lions) and others based in the Zuurberg Mountains (no big game but forest and fynbos). You can find out more about the various options on this website.

There is an overnight trail to Narina Bush Camp. The horse trail is about 3 hours long to the camp, which you can hire out exclusively. The camp is in a really beautiful spot in the forest on the banks of a river. I would highly recommend it.

Perhaps you could combine this overnight trail with a trail through the Nyathi area when you get back.
Regards,

Post subject: Dunefields Alexandria
Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:32 pm 

We want to visit the dunefields outside Alexandria. Is the only way to do the 2-day hiking trail? And part of the dunefields located outside the park (where we can visit them?) Thank you

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:55 am 
Guru
Guru

You can also access the dunefields by visiting the Woody Cape area, driving down to the Beyond Adventure area and walking over a boardwalk onto the dunefields and beach. To access Woody Cape from main camp (about 105 km), take the R342 to the Paterson intersection with the N10. Turn right onto the N10 and follow this road until the R72 turnoff on your left. Follow the signs towards Port Alfred and Alexandria. You will see the turnoff to Woody Cape just before you enter the town of Alexandria. Just before the town of Alexandria, take a gravel road to the right and follow signposts for Woody Cape Section. You will see the entrance to the Park offices on your right. Ask at the Park offices about how to get down to the coast.

You could also access the coast and dunefields through the Sundays River mouth, however, at present the access is through a private caravan park so there is an entrance fee to go through there.

Post subject: Addo Rest Camp: game drive and other questions
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:32 pm 

Hi All,
Do people have opinions on which guided game drives are better in Addo (we'll be at the main Addo Rest Camp). We are there only for a single day and evening, in the first week of July.
Is the sunset driver "better" than the "night drive"? Which one might offer more opportunity for game viewing?
How about the day drives - are any of the times (9 vs 12 vs 15) better than one another?
How easy is it to walk around in the main rest camp, for instance if we stay at one of the chalets to walk down towards the lit-up water hole? Should we have flashlights (torches, not sure how they are refered to in RSA!)?
And finally, we don't plan on bringing in any food, anybody have any comments on the restaurant at the main camp? Do we need to make reservations for dinner (or is it even possible)?
Thank you for any and all information

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:15 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi moonglum,
During the sunset drive, you will stop for about half an hour to have snacks & drinks and enjoy the sunset. The last bit of the drive will be in the dark. The night drive has no stop and focusses more on nocturnal animals.
Regarding the other drives, it depends what time of year you are visiting. if in winter, I would suggest the 12h00 drive as its a bit warmer. During summer, the early morning or 09h00 drive might be better to avoid the midday heat.
It is perfectly safe to walk around in the main camp as it is fenced off from the wildlife area. The distances are not too far either.
You should make a booking for dinner at the restaurant, but you can do this when you arrive at the park.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:49 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Hi Moonglum & welcome to the forum.

There is also a well stocked shop for self catering.

I would take the self drive option. i.e. going in the vehicle you came in. You can buy an excellent map book containing all the mammals and many birds you can see in the park. You can drive the whole park in a morning if you like, or sit at a waterhole.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:06 am 

One word of advice. Take along WARM clothing for the night drive. We were there a couple of week sback during that huge cold front and saw the people who went out on drive (during the day and evening)...Man you would've though someone dropped the at the north pole the way they were shivering and trying to get warm after the drive :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:47 pm 

Hi All,
Thanks for your responses. We certainly will self-drive around the park but will also avail of either an evening or night drive, too.

What is the hiking like in the Zuurberg (day hike)?

One other question - a bit off the topic I started but hopefully ok:
- we will need to drive to the Port Elizabeth airport on the morning of July 15, for a 9:30AM flight to CT; how long is the drive, and when should we leave, considering the departure time and we have to drop off our rental?
TIA

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next