Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: Addo: Animals
Unread postPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:28 pm 
Ja, NickyG!

It's important for relic leopard populations to survive, so as to maintain the gene-pool of these animals, especially with the small Cape leopards!

Theoretically, the Addo/Zuurberg leopards have been there forever! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:36 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I agree with both of you.

A study in Cedarberg revealed more leopards than originally assumed.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:11 am 

Didnt they find Brown Hyeana down that way as well on a camera trap ?

Unread postPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:31 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Don't remember exactly Nicky, but there were animals that they never thought were there, so could be!

Unread postPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:36 am 

with BH will be always an inttresting Story. Because a year agO THEY LOKATED A bROWN hAYENA IN kRUGER:which noone assumed. Why not in Addo. The terrotory is geeat. Brwon Hayena need a dry habitat. But they can also survive in Mountious Areas like Freestate. Diet will be enough like small antelops and so on. They can bear the Preassure from other Predators e.g. in Khalagadi TP.

I Think it is quite intresting and important that there are more leopards then assumed.

Best Regards

Malealea

Unread postPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:11 am 
Guru
Guru

Brown hyena occur in the Woody Cape area of the Park. Rangers have seen many signs of them there but not the animals. We've also recently recorded brown hyena in the Nyathi area of the Park.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:11 pm 

@ Addo

Do you have numbers, how many Leopards are in both Sektions? that ist quite intresting, because quite a long time Leopards in Addo were denied. I have been to Addo in 2002 round about, they said no Predators around. As far as I know Addo never reintroduce Leopards. That means even during my time at Addo must occur a small population. Am I right? When were the first sign of Brown Hayena are found?

Best Regards

Unread postPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Malealea

I am sure Megan will come up with the answers sooner or later. I was in Addo about a 18 months ago when a person at Addo told me they had brought a female leopard from Baviaanskloof to a holding pen in Addo, but it had escaped within hours of the sedation wearing off... Also heard somewhere that a male leopard had been released previously, and that it had been hurt somehow by traps?? so it was very wary of humans... Recently a tourist apparantly saw a leopard in the new dirt road through Matyholweni.
And who knows, leopards come and go all the time -- we even hear of their presence here in Somerset West on the mountain or Helderberg Nature Reserve once in a while!

Exciting to see how Addo has grown into a full grown wildlife destination!

God bless

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:05 pm 

Sound quite intresting. because that si what I assumed. But it will be very intresting when the first signs of Leopards are recorded. Evenso Addo reintroduce one or two, that will not be enough to keep a population going. There must be a population around. How many ? I don´t know, when? I don´t know. But these are quite intresting questions.

Best Regards

Unread postPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:19 pm 

I think - and this is a big assumption...

All of us, who are interested, and fervent nature admirers, are keen and eager to see what these terratories hold. I mean, not all of us have been to every secion or area with teh main game park, we are only privvy to what the roads allow us to see, and in the case of the more elusive and nocturnal animals - what they want us to see.
The same can be said for the Woodlycape area, Darlington area, Intsomi etc etc.
The mere fact that rangers themselves have recorded evidence of brown hyena means they are about, yet not seen. What else lurks about out there that we cannot see....this is the lifeblood and pulse that keeps us all coming back. If it takes 5 years of visits to Addo, and I see a dissappearing tail of a leopard into the bush....it will have been 5yrs well spent.

If brown hyena have not been relocated, then it implies there must have been a population there since time immemorial.
I mean, the evidence points to at least one. And that must have had parents....
If that is teh case, and as these discoveries come to light, then, these available mammal guides will have to be re-written to include these new population areas where they occour.
The assumption is also that we have Addo, and Sanparks to thank for these discoveries, and we best support them in any possible way to protect and conserve these small (isolated?) populations.

Its simply exciting to know we(man) have not yet wiped everything out.... :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:22 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi Malealea and NickyG,
There must have been resident populations of both leopard and brown hyena in the areas I have mentioned as SANParks did not introduce them. We have only reintroduced leopard to some of the areas in the Park (main game area included, as mentioned by Friedrich) in recent years.

We don't have figures for leopard populations in the various sections as these animals are highly elusive and secretive and in many sections, the terrain is very rugged and impenetrable in some areas.

Malealea, when you were told "no predators" in 2002, what was probably meant was that there were no lion or leopard in the main game area where most of the tourist roads are. There would have been a leopard population in the Zuurberg at least already.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:20 am 

Addo Elephant - when you have some spare time would it be possible for you to give us an update on the lion position in Addo? I hear some are in captivity, some have been moved, some were killed by other lions - don't know what is true and what is heresay, so would like to hear it from a reliable source. Looking forward to visiting Addo again soon - we love it. :)

Unread postPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:21 pm 

Hi Megs,

Thank you - You have confirmed what has been mulling over in my head for sometime. I find it extremely exciting to have it confirmed from SANParks that we have these animals in our area, especially historically so, and not so much re-introduced. This is really "mega-significant" and gives us a snapshot of what our beautiful area of teh country was like before an initiated "progress" :D

Carolynn also has raised a question as well, which has been at the back of my mind. I dont know weather I am extremely lucky, or the lions are becoming abundant!? 50% of my Trips to Addo result in lion spots, and 90% of that 50% are very near indeed, mere meters from the car. I started seeing them, past Marion Baree, towards teh southern side of teh park 3 years ago, and of late, they seem to had migrated to Carols Rest area, and now hanging around Woodlands/Domkrag area.

Knowing lions are territorial, and Addo main area is 70% thicket, Lions would be difficult to spot on a good day. My last 4 trips however have been "lionless" I dont know if this is due to teh weather patterns, and teh current drought, where prey move away into the thickets, or as Carolynn asks below, if there indeed have been death, relocation, or prides dividing, and exploiting the further outreaches of teh park ? Even spoor appear less, as does other signs of scat, and fresh prey remains.

The simple answer might be : " Keep looking, nothing has changed - its the nature of the lion to move about"
:doh:

Unread postPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:35 pm 
Addo has ironically conserved a largish area of a pretty homogenous ecotype...Sour Bush...

That means few herbivores will flourish to the extent of overpopulation, other than Elephant.

Now, the Zuurberg extention has added a significant new marginal/transformatonal ecotype,where Brown hyenas were before,presumably!

Pretty sure they weren't in the "Old " Park!

I've never been to Addo, but worked at SANPARKS as a student! :P

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:51 pm 

@ Richprins,

I do not think so, because historically the most of the animals were hunted till extinction by the human being. Esspeciallay Lions and Leopards were found everywhere in the cape Regions. In former times there were two tyüpes of Lions in South Afrika the Cape Lions and the Savannah Lion. The Cap Lion ist drwan to extinction, the Lion that we find in Afrika and India is the Savanna Lion. Even so the iNdian lIons were much smaller the Genes were quite indentical. Therefor there will be agreat possibility that this animaöls were found Original here in this Area.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next