Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Addo: Animals
Unread postPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:35 pm 
Addo has ironically conserved a largish area of a pretty homogenous ecotype...Sour Bush...

That means few herbivores will flourish to the extent of overpopulation, other than Elephant.

Now, the Zuurberg extention has added a significant new marginal/transformatonal ecotype,where Brown hyenas were before,presumably!

Pretty sure they weren't in the "Old " Park!

I've never been to Addo, but worked at SANPARKS as a student! :P

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:51 pm 

@ Richprins,

I do not think so, because historically the most of the animals were hunted till extinction by the human being. Esspeciallay Lions and Leopards were found everywhere in the cape Regions. In former times there were two tyüpes of Lions in South Afrika the Cape Lions and the Savannah Lion. The Cap Lion ist drwan to extinction, the Lion that we find in Afrika and India is the Savanna Lion. Even so the iNdian lIons were much smaller the Genes were quite indentical. Therefor there will be agreat possibility that this animaöls were found Original here in this Area.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:05 am 
Guru
Guru

You're right, Malealea, leopards would definitely have roamed over this area, including the original "Addo". In fact, a few years ago, an adult male leopard was tragically caught in a snare on a farm fenceline in the Colchester area....which is very similar habitat to the main game area.

There are also different types of thicket in Addo, including what used to be known as the "bontveld" which is a more open type of thicket with grassy areas. Who's to say that lions and brown hyena didn't once occur here, or at least pass through the area?

Richprins, Addo conserves much more than one type of thicket now that it has expanded so much. Its really a very diverse Park, although most visitors only experience the main game area.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:34 pm 
Yes, Addo!

More or less what I was trying to say!

When I worked at CUSTOS in the 90's Addo had only recently been enlarged a bit, and the big extensions were in various stages of planning and buying! :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Dead Kudu
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:32 am 

On 7/07/2010 we left Addo and were on the road to the southern gate.Just past Marion Baree waterhole we saw a dead kudu next to the road.It had a bite mark in the neck and was also eaten at the hind legs.Apart from that it was still in tack.There were no lion or signs of lion in the area.A lone jackal was having a nice brunch.Also spoke to other people who also saw it, a caracol was then eating.What could have killed the kudu?

Tiko

Post subject: Re: Dead Kudu
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I think it was probably a leopard that killed it.
Caracal would not take on a kudu , but a leopard would bite in the neck and then start feeding on the hind leg area.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:10 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I would tend to agree FG

But, Tiko, do you maybe have a bit more information on the following:

1. Were the intestines still inside the kudu or had they been removed or moved to one side (this is typical leopard behaviour)?
2. How large was the section that was eaten on the hindquarters? If it wasn't too extensive could you determine whether the inside of the leg had been fed on or was the feeding from the tail downwards? (both Caracal and Leopard first feed on the hindquarters of their prey)
3. Was the kudu covered in any soil/leafy matter/branches (leopards will do this if there are leaving their prey on the ground and plan to return)?
4. Did the kudu appear healthy? - obviously besides the fact that it was dead!
5. Could you see how far apart the teeth were on the neck (the bite mark)?
6. How fresh was the kill - would you say it had happened within 12 hours? (Caracal are rather cautious when it comes to leopard kills, so if the leopard was still around and the kill was fresh the caracal would be unlikely to feed on it)
7. Were the puncture marks on the neck surrounded by blood? (if they were then they likely occured when the animal was alive, otherwise they might have occured postmortem by the caracal - like when a domestic house cat plays with a stuffed toy, it will "kill it" even though it is not moving by biting the neck and shaking it around a bit).

Sorry about all the questions!! It sounds like such an interesting case!! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:14 pm 

Interesting indeed !! If it is a leopard, it will be evidence of one of teh few in the main game area.

The lions in the park have made a few kills down that way - the 10km Road to teh south gate, so I wouldnt rule out lion either. The lions remaining in the park are not yet fully grown.

Any chance of a piccie ?

Was it a male \kudu? A femaile ? size ?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:54 pm 

It was a female kudu and had quite a big bite mark(open wound) just below the head.I think it was not dead long as blood was still visable in the neck wound.The carcass was not covered at all,lying in the open.It was eaten at the tail and just below the tail and the intestines was still inside the body.

Tiko

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Tiko :thumbs_up:
Ok, so I would think that we should rule out this being a leopard due to the fact that the intestines were still in the animal. Hyena and jackal tend to feed near the tail area whereas the Caracal and Leopard will start feeding on the inside of the hindquarter area (the soft area). And you say the bite mark was an open wound and not a clean bite mark? This would also rule out a leopard in my opinion, this sound more like a dog species. At this stage my guess would be a spotted hyena?? But the fact that it was just left there is a bit of a mystery??

Thanks for sharing Tiko :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:35 pm 

I will rule out Grant's Golden Mole
:funny:

Anything's possible with Addo, to top it the predators are relatively "new" in the park, and this is thicket area, as opposed to from where they have been relocated.
I would go with Bushfairy, as teh Hyenas there have been (forgive the pun, please or slap me later) Spotted around and near Hapoor, which is only afew Km from Marion Baree etc. and as we all know, predators are capable of moving quite a distance to find prey.

Yeah, lion would have eaten more than just this, and leopard would have removed teh guts, and due to there being hyena, and lion around would have most likely done a better job hiding it. This was left in a defendable position....

Still....great spot, "meaty" topic, and leaves me with a "what if" feeling...can you just imagine what lurks in those thickets in the dead of night.....?????
:clap:

Post subject: jackal and Kudu in Addo
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I posted the following under Black back jackal - but perhaps it was in the wrong place.

I was wondering how common it is for BBJ's to attack Kudu?

The reason I am asking is a few years ago in Addo we watched a jackal attack a Kudu - the Kudu was not full grown but neither was it a a baby. In sheer exhaustion the two animals lay down next to each other - only to have the bbj again attack the Kudu when it stood up. We watched for a time and another three jackal joined the first one in attacking the young Kudu.
I do not know the outcome because they all disappeared behind a hill and some trees and bushes. It seemed like the Kudu tried to get in between a few ostriches that were in the area - perhaps hoping for some form of protection.

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER !

Post subject: Animals in Addo - Are there any giraffes?
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:49 pm 

Hi,

I would like to know if there are any giraffes in Addo?
What animals are in Addo?

Thank you!

Best regards from Germany,
Ina

Post subject: Re: Animals in Addo - Are there any giraffes?
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:57 pm 

Hello Ina,

Check out this link :

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=35041

"Boorgatspook" has been kind enough to post a list of mammals that are resident in the parks.

To answer your question on the giraffes - NO, there are none in the park. The reason for this is that SANParks strive to restore the wilderness to its former glory. Giraffes were not endemic (natural to Addo's area). If they were introduced they would create pressure on the trees because of competittion with other animals that occour here naturally.

Hope this helps, and welcome to teh forums :D

Post subject: Re: Animals in Addo - Are there any giraffes?
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:D Welcome to the forum Ina. NickyG has answered your question but I just also wanted to add a "Welcome" to you! Hopefully you are planning a visit to SA and also one of our National Parks real soon! :dance:

AGULHAS REST CAMP : Sat 14 June 2014 - Mon 16 June 2014 (Our first visit!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next