Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79  Next
 Post subject: Re: Addo: Advice
Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:02 pm 

Are there any laundry facilities in Addo Main Camp?

Addo
Mt. Zebra

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:09 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Jen,

No laundry facilities when we were there last year.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:12 pm 

Thanks lion queen

Addo
Mt. Zebra

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:44 am 

Hello

We are considering going to Addo next year.
We are long time Kruger visitors, with over 1200 days in the park.
That being said, how is the addo?
Roads, game viewing ie what game is frequently seen, game densities, bird life and accommodation.
I see the Addo looks pretty fragmented, so do you only book into one section? Can we go to say the dunes if we are booked into the main camp?

As much info as possible would be appreciated, it looks, as it does lok like a lovely park.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:55 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Hello Gilbert .
We have just got back from Addo .. and as you live in the Cape its a good place to go.
Roads are good and we stayed in the main camp which we found spotless and well organised We self catered so cannot comment on the restuarant/. We only visited the main section and we found three days maybe not quite enough
A suggestion Why dont you travel slowly to Addo visiting the opther Sanparks on the way There is Bontbok in Swellendam . Beautuful chalets with views of the river and some nice walks .
Then the Wilderness at Ebb and flo plenty of walks and canoeingand the camp is green and lush and views pf the river are great
we then stayed at the wooden chalet in the kysna forests ( they have only one) its on stilts and is very luxurious
It has everything you could wish for including a jacuzi Dish washer Dstv,washing machine and tumble dryer ..Fireplace if you are there in winter and a posh braai on a deck outside . You are above the forest floor ..lovely then its Storms river mouth ( tstsikama) again walks sea views etc etc
and then to Addo. We returned via oudsthoorn , Sutherland and the Tankwa Nat Park Amazing place We left via the north and travelled via the botterkloof and Pakhuis passes to clanwilliam and home.
I hope that gives you some ideas We do not have a 4x4 all roads either tar or dirt were vere=y accessable

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:23 pm 

Hi there

We are hooked on Kruger, but have been to Addo too (in 2008) and LOVED it!

It is in Addo that I saw my first Caracal and then, the very next day, another one! (This after years of not being able to spot caracal in Kruger...). Every park has something special to it...

Go and discover Addo, you won't be disappointed!

24/11 - 27/11 Lower Sabie
28/11 - 1/12 Olifants
2/12 - 5/12 Skukuza
x
9/12 - 11/12 Pretoriuskop
12/12 - 18/12 Satara
19/12 - 22/12 Berg-en-Dal

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Gilbertr14,

Hugh - I echo your sentiments of visiting other camps to and from Addo...makes for a great experience allround. :thumbs_up:

We have been there in Jun'11 doing a circle route i.e. Wildernis, Addo, Mountain Zebra NP, Camdeboo and back via Outshoorn. In Jun'12 we did a Wildernis, Addo, Tsitstikamma route - both from Cape Town. Nice easy drive with great variety.

The personnel at Addo are brilliant people and most helpful. Addo can be accessed via the southern part i.e. N2 at Matyholweni camp and drive to the northern area to the Main camp, where we stayed. There is also a nice overnight hide/tented camp called Spekboom where one can stay and close by a picnic area with facilities for body breaks etc. It got a sighting board and there is also one at the main camp. Be careful of the black rhinos - they can be territorial and might surprise you... :hmz:

The ellies are a lot calmer as those in Kruger. We had some great lion, hyena, jackal, eland, buffs, rhino and Red hartebeest sightings. Kudus and warthogs are like the impala is in Kruger. Lots of great birdies all round and the small animals in the fields.

One can do a drive through the main park twice a day, so more opportunities to spot the allusive ones. I cannot comment on the greater Addo region i.e. Kabouga, Zuurberg, Darlington sections. But definitely doable to drive from the main camp to the Woody Cape section - at the seaside and back for the day.

Hope the info help a bit.

Post subject: First visit to Addo. Need some advice please
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:42 am 

Looking forward to my first visit to Addo in July this year, camping booked and paid. (Main camp)

Would love some advice on the following:
1. Weather in July? What to expect
2. Some nice spots/water holes for birding
3. Nice routes to follow for evening drive or morning drive.

General tips for more enjoyment on our 2 week stay.

Sincere thanks
Gert

Post subject: Re: First visit to Addo. Need some advice please
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:49 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Welcome to the forum Gert.

1. Cannot help you with, maybe the locals can
2. The main camp is goot. There is a hide and waterbirds are there. We have seen greater DC subbirds on the aloes and green woodhoopoes among others. There are also 'bush' birds like indogo birds, and when we were there some red wing starlings were making a nest in thhe cafeteria roof causing the staff to move the tables far away in case of a direct hit.
3. Drive down to Marion Baree, or Hapoor or Domkrag. I also like the Carol's Rest area.

Enjoy it.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:39 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
We were there in July, two years ago.

Had one rainy day, but rest was open blue skies. Cold in the mornings and evenings, but not ice cold during the day.

Enjoy your visit, it's a magical park!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Gert Very, welcome to the Forum :thumbs_up:

1. Weather:
Well, we have been to Addo the past 2 years in July and although it is winter rainfall area, we had slight rain now and then, but enjoyed the time there. It is cold in the mornings, so plan accordingly.
According to the Addo brochure, they have 2 peak rainfall times i.e. Feb-March and Oct-Nov. The temperature in July varies between 5 - 18 degrees. You might encounter some warmer days as we have experienced, but also one year we had a rain storm for one day causing flooding in the neighbouring towns.

2. Nice spots/water holes for birding
There is a bird hide in the Main camp and two waterholes which is flood lit in the evening where you can enjoy some ellies and other.
Another bird hide is at Spekboom further down to the south of the park and close to a very nice picnic site (Jack's picnic) with great braai facilities and refreshment areas and a sighting board.
The area where I have spotted some great birds are from the viewpoint looking across the Domkrag dam (Domkrag named after a large tortoise jacking up cars :D ). I have spotted some interesting birds on Harvey's loop on the southern side of the park as one crosses the central area.
On all the different roads, you will get some birdies and look out on the section past Marion Baree to the south for some Secretary birds. Lots of Black shouldered kites around but lot of activity close to Domkrag waterhole.

3. Nice routes
All the routs are great, and the road in very good condition. Gwarrie Pan has been good for large ellie herds (the elephants are a lot more relaxed than those in Kruger). We spotted some lions and hyena on the road past Marion Baree, but also on Harveys loop and just outside the Main campgate. They also love Carol's rest area with the open plains which host some eland and zebras kudus and all the smaller creatures.

Be careful of the black rhino, they can be temperamental and territorial as I had a bad experience once on the Ngulube loop.

But to give you an idea what to expect, you can have a read:
Addo July 2013

Hope this helps. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Gert,

Hope you enjoy Addo. It is a smallish park to spend 2 weeks in if you are a restless sort of person. If you take it slowly, you will be very happy.
1. Cold weather is bad for elephants and most large animals -- they disappear into the spekboom forest and you don't see them, especialy if it is windy. But it is brilliant for bird watching. The mornings are chilly, and you can ride right up to many kinds of birds -- they sit right next to the road, fluff up their feathers and wait for the rising sun to warm them up -- you can get real close for excellent pics.
I have seen a flock of about 15 hoopoos just after Marion Baree, flitting around like butterflies on both sides of the road... you get plenty of bokmakierie, bubu shrike, bulbuls, sparrows etc. along the road. In camp the usual sunbirds and bishop birds at the hide... wood hoopoos are common in camp etc.
2. Warm weather is brilliant for huge elephant herds that come down to drink at MOST waterholes -- just check the sightings board -- they have favourites different times of the year, but Hapoor and Gwarriepan must be the favourites most of the time. There are always plenty of tortoises, warthog and kudu to amuse your family.
Lions are a bonus; caracals quite common; suricat often seen at Hapoor and on the Woodlands loop.

Enjoy!
God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:04 pm 

Thanks for the great advice, I am an avid bird watcher and photographer, 2 weeks in a small park is nothing, I usually wish for longer stays. So looking forward that I have started packing the caravan...

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:30 pm 

If you want to see the Ellies,make sure that you are at Hapoor Dam from 11h30 onwards.That is the time they start arriving to drink water.You can easily spend 2 hours watching them at the waterhole.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:16 am 

If one takes a drive down to the seashore areas of the Addo, can one get sea views while one is in the vehicle? I'm asking as a mobility impaired person who will NOT be able to do the walks down to the beach.

I have booked three days there in July.

KNP Lower Sabie 25 April to 3 May 2015

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79  Next