Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Camping rule at Bontebok NP
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:41 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

As it seems that at long last spring is trying its utmost best to reach the Western Cape it is time to look at a couple of places one can go camping over weekends.

As I have never been to Bontebok NP it is (was) one of the places I looked at but the following sentence (underlined part) on the park's accommodation page seems to have put a end to the plan to go there

Quote:
A maximum of six persons, one caravan with a side tent and one vehicle, or one tent and one vehicle, or one autovilla or one motorised caravan will be permitted per site.

We are normally two families that camp together. My brother in-law has a family tent with three rooms and footprint of 680x280. I camp with two 3x3m dome tens. As can be seen the footprint of his (one) tent and my two tents are basically the same (and much less than a caravan with side tent) but it seems from the rules I will not be allowed to visit with my two tents. Strange rule and unfortunately meaning we will not be able to visit this park.

Post subject: Re: Camping rule at Bontebok NP
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:55 am 

Francois, I camped there in April this year and as far as I can remember, I saw stands with more than one tent / caranvan with tent & dome tents, on a stand.

I believe if you phone them and explain they will accommodate you on one campsite. There are however an alternative close to Swellendam for camping on the Breede River and then maybe do a day drive into Bontebok - 1/2 day for Bontebok is by far enough time as there aren't many roads to drive.

PM me if you need the name of the alternative camping.

Blackie.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:11 pm 

Hi Francois

I suspect that the Bontebok NP is simply trying to prevent a camp site from looking like a refugee camp. You must realize that NPs make very little out of campers so to have 6 people in tents and numerous vehicles to a site would result in a loss to them.
This policy is long overdue, especially with regard to ONE vehicle per site. You just need to visit the Kalagadi NP to see what damage the excess vehicles have caused to the roads. Sadly for the KNP, to reverse the damage is now going to cost many millions.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

If you are only 6 people between the 2 families why do you need so many tents. You mentioned about 3 rooms for BIL and 2 tents for you. This will give you space for 10, therefore I do not understand why you cannot book your own site or share you BIL large tent if you are only 6 in total. :hmz:

The difference between 6 people on two site vs 6 people on one site will only be R66, which you will pay for the extra car and it equals out then.

6 people per 1 x site (1 car) = R438
6 people per 2 x site (2 cars) = R504

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:30 pm 

Son godin wrote:
If you are only 6 people between the 2 families why do you need so many tents. You mentioned about 3 rooms for BIL and 2 tents for you. This will give you space for 10, therefore I do not understand why you cannot book your own site or share you BIL large tent if you are only 6 in total. :hmz:

The difference between 6 people on two site vs 6 people on one site will only be R66, which you will pay for the extra car and it equals out then.

6 people per 1 x site (1 car) = R438
6 people per 2 x site (2 cars) = R504

I don't understand where the references to number of people come from as I never stated this in my original message. Nor did I state that I had any problem with a charge for additional vehicle as I believe it is merited. Nor that I had a problem with a maximum of 6 people per site.

The idea was to book 2 sites with one car per site and 4 people per site (2 adults and 2 children under 12 as this is what each family consist off) rarely constituting a refugee camp
As I accommodate my family in 2 dome tents and BIL his family in one tent the rule results in that he will be able to pitch his tent on his site but I will only be able to pitch one tent on my site which will not accommodate my family. This also means that should we as a family have considered visiting alone I will not be able to pitch two tents on the one site making it superfluous to even consider visiting this park.

I further mentioned that my two tents take up less surface space than a standard caravan with side tent which is allowed on a site so why have tents be limited to one and not two? As this was a SANParks decission I doubt that us "normal" members will have the answer to that.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Francoisd,
I have had exactly the same thoughts as you have. I do not understand SANParks rules that state that you are only allowed one tent per site.
I often travel with a couple of friends the the parks and have camped many times. We are often two couples or sometimes just three people in two tents. Because we are car camping we all have small tents (i have a tiny one man tent). It seems crazy to me to make you book two sites when a caravan sleeping more people takes up a far larger footprint.
In all of my instances we have just booked the relevant number of people per site (say 4) and have camped with two tents. I don't mention that i plan to use two tents when checking in and no one has ever questioned my camp site.
In short i wouldn't worry. If you were planning on taking 2 huge family sized tents that sleep 6-8 each then i would worry but what you have described is perfectly reasonable by anyones standards.

When are you in Bontebok?...i'm staying there in a few weeks (25th and 26th Oct)

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014