SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: West Coast
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:50 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hello all
I am going down to Cape Town for a while at end of September so was thinking on day tripping up to West Coast National Park. Maybe I'm wrong but it looks like it maybe more of a resort than a "nature escape". Please tell me I'm wrong. But if I'm not, how about PM'ing me some options for day trips

Cheers - Ed

Post subject: Re: West Coast
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:04 am 

moobox wrote:
Hello all
I am going down to Cape Town for a while at end of September so was thinking on day tripping up to West Coast National Park. Maybe I'm wrong but it looks like it maybe more of a resort than a "nature escape". Please tell me I'm wrong. But if I'm not, how about PM'ing me some options for day trips

Cheers - Ed

We are in CT for a few days and spent 2 days around WCNP. We were lucky to have sunshine. Saw spectacular flowers and numerous types of buck -- no bat eared fox this time - you must visit the spectacular Postberg section. It is only open during Aug and Sept yearly. It was a very worthwhile tri and highly recommended.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Moose

I will visit it. Should be open when I am there then, being toward the end of September. Well, that's if the weather is OK. I dont really want to go there if is is all wet.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:47 pm 

Ed, on a sunny day, and before end of September, do make the trip, it is worth it. Take a picnic basket and camp on the rocks and enjoy the flowers and also the bird hides.

It is busy, it is high season after all, so try make your trip during the week if you can.

Explore all of Table Mountain NP too.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:51 am 

In my experience of WCNP I would say it is definitely more of a resort. In fact I would go as far to say that it is closer to a highway than a National Park. The amount of people that speed through the park is alarming and it is very disappointing that Park Management do nothing about this issue. If you are going for peace and quiet, and to see the flowers and animals (whom are brave enough to venture within viewing distance of the road) I suggest that you go during the week. Otherwise save some time and money and just stop somewhere on the national road (it may even be more peaceful).

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ag you know, that is disappointing to hear but I actually suspected that might be the case. I plan to pop up there either 25 or 26 September which is smack bang between a national holiday and the weekend so pretty much weekend I guess. But I want to see the place. I went to KNP in the December school holidays and just about coped with the "resort" setup so I should be OK. Thanks for the inputs folks.