Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Access Elandsberg wilderness camp, Tankwa Karoo
Unread postPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:51 pm 

Hi,
Under "accomodation" on the Tankwa Karoo website it says that the access to Elandsberg is " hampered at present for low clearance vehicles." Does this mean impossible or just difficult and is the "at present" because it's the rainy season or due to some other factor? I've tried asking san parks via the website, but no reply for the moment....Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Access Elandsberg wilderness camp, Tankwa Karoo
Unread postPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:13 pm 

Hi there,

The road to the Elandsberg Wilderness Cottages use to be quite bumpy and low-clearance sedan vehicles thus travelled with some difficulty to this camp. However, a new road has been constructed which is suited for sedans. Thank you for pointing out this error on our website. I will request the applicable changes soonest.

As a general rule for travelers by sedan (in fact, all visitors may benefit from this), I would suggest you contact the park a few days prior to your visit to ensure you are aware of the road conditions to the park. All three our major access roads (Sutherland, Ceres and Calvinia) crosses a few natural drainage channels, which may be flooded or damaged due to recent floods. Forewarned is forearmed! :)
If you contact our office, we can also send you some general driving tips for gravel roads.

I hope this helps - please do not hesitate to contact our office (details on web) should there be any further questions.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:44 pm 

:D Hi Charamal, great to see that the Park Staff are still as wonderful and helpful as i said. :thumbs_up: Take care and once again may you and your family have a wonderful 5 weeks round trip to our Parks. Wish we could do the same never the less we are off to Krugers for 2 weeks :dance:

* A Tribal Survey of Mongalla Province (1957) - LF Nalder; ed.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:49 am 

Thank you both for your messages. Unfortunately, Elandsberg seems to have been booked just a few minutes before I tried last night! Never mind, we'll go for De Zyfer instead.....