SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cape Mountain Zebra foal - born in Cape of Good Hope
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:20 pm 
Guru
Guru

Exciting News!

A Cape Mountain Zebra foal was born yesterday, July 19th, in the Cape of Good Hope Section of the Table Mountain National Park. A foal was last born over 9 years ago and as a result; staff are monitoring the newcomer very carefully.

As such, the park is appealing to the public and hikers not to try and approach the mother and her foal on foot but to keep a safe and respectful distance. The family group is very protective of the newcomer and will act aggressively towards anyone trying to approach them.

The mother and foal are close to the Cape Point Main Road and it is therefore asked that all visitors and tour operators respect the speed limit of 60km/hr and slow right down if the family group of zebras are seen. Photographs at this point in time are strongly discouraged.

The sex of the newcomer has not yet been determined, however staff are monitoring the family closely and will allow the group of zebras to settle down first at which point they will be able to approach them to photograph and record key information.

Post subject: Re: Cape Mountain Zebra foal - born in Cape of Good Hope
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Exciting news indeed!
SANParks:CapeCluster wrote:
The mother and foal are close to the Cape Point Main Road and it is therefore asked that all visitors and tour operators respect the speed limit of 60km/hr and slow right down if the family group of zebras are seen. Photographs at this point in time are strongly discouraged.

I hope that ALL entering the park are advised about this verbally at the entrance and that the park also has some traffic police in place. Otherwise, I doubt very much that most will pay ANY attention at all, since in my experience, most visitors are totally unaware that there is anything to see IN the park and only visit the southernmost point merely to take a few photos to prove that they have been there.

Sadly, in my experience, almost all cars (including staff :twisted: ) speed, with no consideration for those (few) of us who are trying to observe birds and mammals. I've had many, many sightings ruined by speeding vehicles :twisted: :twisted: :roll:

So good luck with trying to get visitors to observe the speed limit. :wall: :whistle: