Skip to Content

Some general questions about Cape Coastal Parks.

Agulhas, Bontebok, Table Mountain, Tankwa Karoo, West Coast
Guinea Pig
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Some general questions about Cape Coastal Parks.

Unread postby Guinea Pig » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:26 pm

We will be doing the Garden route in October this year. 8)
There are some questions I haven't been able to answer via Google, so hoping one of you have some answers.

1. We are staying in Simon's Town right next to Boulders Beach.

1.1. It seems like we only need a Wild Card to enter the penguin beach area? It could be rather unhandy having to pay all the time. :lol: Will the International Card cover all those costs?

1.2. We've read accounts of Dwarf chameleons seen along the edges of Boulders Beach. Are they reasonably common or more a fluke?

2. I find it rather hard to get info about Cape Point.

2.1. What kind of plants are to be found there? Proteas? Fynbos? Guessing beginning of October could fall just outside flowering season?

2.2. Any info on reptiles to be found?

3. If Cape Point is hard to find info on, Agulhas is even worse. :lol:

3.1. What kind of plants are to be found there? Proteas? Fynbos? Guessing beginning of October could fall just outside flowering season?

3.2. Any info on reptiles to be found?

Info on birding, mammals and places of interest are plentiful but as usual we will be looking for the small stuff and Flora.

Any help appreciated.
On a quest to visit 9 new National Parks in October. :dance:

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Some general questions about Cape Coastal Parks.

Unread postby arks » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:35 pm

I can answer a few of your questions, GP. Yes, your WildCard is all you need to enter Boulders. There are two entrances, the one nearest Simonstown is where there are the boardwalks with views over the beach (and IIFC an info centre, I haven't been there in some years). You can also enter at the other end (I forget the name of the road, but there's a sign), which is where the swimming beach is. And then there is an area to the south of this carpark with a nice path and plenty of penguins where you can walk and there is no entrance requirement 8) . So lots of different options for spending time with the penguins.

As for chameleons, I've only seen chameleons at Rondevlei and I don't know that they were dwarf chameleons, tho they were very attractive.

The Cape Point part of TMNP is a favourite of mine, tho I rarely go all the way to the point or even to the Cape of Good Hope. If you want to do that, I suggest that you go very early. The Cape of Good Hope road can be productive and is scenic, but only before the big tour coaches start arriving at around 10am. Depending on the time of year, you will see a variety of proteas and other (flowering) fynbos. IMO there are always intereting plants (and birds!) to see. My favourite roads are Olifantsbos, the Circular Route (lots of pagoda proteas and Cape sugarbirds), and Black Rocks (at the end of which you can park and walk about a kilometer to Venus Pool).

I can't help with Agulhas, but I hope that you are also planning to visit WCNP?
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town
29 November-20 January Darling

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby lion queen » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:32 pm

Hi GP,

I assume you did have a look here???

Agulhas vegetation

We visited Bergplaas (part of Agulhas NP) in August 2013. There is only one "chalet" (the farm house) on the farm and what a treat it was!! Lots and lots of flowers. Different kinds of proteas and lots of fynbos etc.

Cape point you can have a look here

attractions
SANParks Online Fans..........Where passion is pride!

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

MATTHYS

Unread postby MATTHYS » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:44 pm

October is a lovely time to visit the Garden Route, GP :D

Some additional and interesting info re Agulhas NP to be found here and please note fauna and flora (2.9.5).

You should keep Bergplaas a secret, LQ :wink:
aquila non capit muscas

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby lion queen » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:23 pm

MATTHYS wrote:

I know, but it's so beautiful I just have to share it with my Forum friends!! :dance: :dance: :dance:
SANParks Online Fans..........Where passion is pride!

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:24 pm

10 days ago I saw the dwarf chameleons arks spoke about, on the first restio bush on the right after entering Rondevlei. The little blighters were blurred on my pics as my focus struggled with the interfering vegetation.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Guinea Pig

Unread postby Guinea Pig » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:11 pm

@ Arks - thanks for the tips. We will definitely keep those in mind. As for WCNP, it will depend on the weather mostly. We have already extended our stay in Simons Town by 2 days because there is so much to do! :lol: In the end we decided to do it the way we did Wales in 2013 - get up, look at the weather forecast and follow the sunshine. So nothing definitely planned anywhere in advance. Table Mountain takes priority at this stage. 8)

@ LQ/Matthys - Yip! I scanned the forums and website for a while but couldn't really find an answer as whether the Proteas will be in bloom and what kinds of Fynbos there are. For the Fynbos we will order an ebook about it, and go from there. As far as Proteas go - holding thumbs. I've only seen them in Golden Gate in the Basotho Village. I will scan through the links you gave me in your posts again.

@ Bush Baptist - Rondevlei was already on the list with De Hoop, so good to know that's the place to go for them. 8)

Seems we just need to keep our eyes peeled for reptiles escpecially that time of the year - and pray it will be getting warm enough for them to come out and play.

Guinea Pig

Unread postby Guinea Pig » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:42 am

MATTHYS wrote:

We had a good look at Bergplaas but decided against. :D
It reminds us of the beautiful old farmhouse in Golden Gate NP. Gorgeous but we can't see ourselves in a massive house like that.
We are calling this our beach holiday, so the beach cottages are fine for our purposes and we do like the privacy they seem to offer. 8)

MATTHYS

Unread postby MATTHYS » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:12 am

:thumbs_up: Looking forward to your beach holiday TR, GP :D
aquila non capit muscas

Return to “Cape Parks”