View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:37 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Stoffel
Thanks for the update :D
We have missed Bontebok over the past few years. It was an absolute family favourite. We tried to have a peek at the new developments in Jan this year, but obviously were not as persuasive as you :lol:
If only I could majically created more weekends before Christmas, we would be there sooner than later!!
Pity about the poor planning in designing the showers :(
Is Karel, the fantastic chap who supervisors and maintains the camp still there? His wife also worked in the camp with him.
Looking forward to getting back and will post a little report when we do.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Yes Dreamer, Karel is still there. As you are probably aware, all personnel housing (except for the park manager's home at Reception) were all demolished. Karel used to live in the house at Lang Elsies Kraal. However, all personnel is now living in the town of Swellendam (don't know if Bongani Mnisi - Park Manager - is living in the house at reception or also in town).

Karel was off for the weekend while we we there.

Another person working in the park for more than 30 years already, is "oom" Jannie. I remember him from 1976 (when I lived in Swellendam for a year) - the time when my intense love for this little park really started.

We visited "Die Stroom" (day visitors area) for the first time during our last visit. Image
A new road has been built to connect the "old" park to this newer section (which was part of the Swellendam municipality's commonage). The circular road going pass the "Old Race Course" is closed now. Personally I find the latter a pity as it used to be my favourite drive in the park.

A new entrance gate is planned for the park. This new road will turn off from the N2 next to the ostrich abattoir (to the western side of Swellendam).

Last edited by Stoffel on Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:23 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Quote:
But I cannot help to wonder if the designer has ever showered in a cubicle the size of the new ones. It appears neat, but a 85 x 75 cm shower area for a person my size (118 kg) is just not big enough. And a dressing area of 40 x 85 cm is hopelessly too small. No wonder some people showered with open doors (and made a terrible mess of the floors).

The same person must have designerd the showers at the Safari tents in Addo as well...I also battled. Having a shower was a huge big planning session all on it's own!!!! Where to put what where was quite taxing to the brain! I am dying to get to Bontebok though...regardless of the shower size!!! :dance:

Post subject: bontebok np info
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:49 pm 

Thanks for sharing the mens' abblutions with me BB - for once better to be female it seems! Seriously though, I think we are all very lucky that the parks have such good facilities. We shouldn't complain. Believe me, no-one from Europe would worry - if you ever have the misfortune to camp in France you will know what I mean!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:58 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sheila

My comments should rather be seen in the light of the fact that a lot of money (and I have reason to believe it is a substantial amount) was spent to upgrade the ablution facilities (together with all the other upgrades) at Lang Elsies Kraal.

The new ablution block:

And I have appreciation for the fact that SANParks has taken this step. But my opinion is that if you do something like this - do it properly. Everything looks neat, but the shower cubicles could have been planned much better. There is enough space so that the cublicles could have been made "deeper" - leading to more "dressing room", and it would not have costed much more (if any). It is only when you stand in a 40 x 85 cm space that you realize how small it really is.

Shower doors on the left.

And as can be seen from the next photo, the interior is very neat.

But nevertheless, I'll stay a loyal visitor to Bontebok. Everything is a huge improvement on the previous facilities.

Post subject: bontebok np info
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:15 am 

Morning Stoffel
You are absolutely right and it is frustrating when you know how easily things could have been improved with just a little more insight. Perhaps the parks admin will take this on board at all the rest camps so any alterations carried out in the future are designed to provide a more comfortable layout. Hopefully this is where the forum can give useful feedback which can improve the experience of visitors staying in the parks and encourage them to return.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A few pictures sent through to me by the park manager of the new facilities-taken by bright brown design.

Last edited by dianne on Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: oebokpo
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:08 pm 

The photos are brilliant - looks fantastic and will certainly encourage visitors to stay overnight. Pity there are none on the SAN Parks site.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Shiela

They'll go into the permanent bontebok gallery. Eric still needs to shoot the accommodation to load into the availability check. He's busy with Kgalagadi now, and then bontebok, namaqua and tankwa karoo will follow :-)

Dianne

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:43 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
We were fortunate to visit this lovely park in December and I would like to say that the new chalets look great. We camped so I do not have first hand knowledge of the chalet interior, however we did speak to a couple staying in one and they were impressed but had a mishap :( - apparently the beds are narrower than normal and the lady rolled over in the night and fell out of bed!

Workmen were still working outside the ablutions when we were there in early December and the women's ablutions still needed some finishing off - Hopefully the work was finished before the rush of the festive season!

Anyway we really enjoyed Bontebok and I will try to get to a mini trip report as soon as I can! :)

F2/2014

Post subject: Re: Bontebok NP: INFO
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:52 pm 

Hi there,

Can someone please give me some info regarding the hiking trails in the park? Are there any MTB trails? What fish can be caught in the river, and what bait is used?

Regards

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:16 am 

Ok,

Apparently Bass can be caught in the Breede River.

Still waiting for some info regarding hiking and MTB trails. . . . . please . . . anybody????

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Not a biker so don't know about the MTB. According to the park's activities page there are options available.

There are some lovely hiking trails along the river. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:roll: Also, not a MTB'er but as far as I know, you can ride on the Park roads (gravel) - saw a couple of people doing this last year - they went from the campsite to Die Stroom picnic spot.

According to the Bontebok NP Newsletter of 16 January 2009, the Acacia and Bushbuck hiking trails will be opened sometime in mid February following flood debris clean-up.
The Aloe trail (1.8km easy) is open. We did it last weekend with two little ones in the party aged 3 and 4 and they both walked the entire trail as well.

The Bushbuck trail, if it is open when you go, is well worth walking. Take along some munchies to have at the Picnic spot when you get there

Post subject: First time visit to Bontebok Park
Unread postPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:32 pm 

HI, All

My wife and I only discovered the fun of camping in our latter years, hence are quite new to it. We already made a booking in the Bontebok Park for the period between Christmas'09 and New Year.

Being from JHB and not quite familiar with conditions in the Cape, I was wondering if somebody could assist with some advice:

What are the facilities like in Bontebok?

Weather that time of the year? Possibility of rain?

Do we need to cater for anything else we wouldn't take along on an ordinary camping week?

Lighting in the camp at night?

Conditions of the roads in the park?

Size of the park in hectares?

We would appreciate any advice we could get.

Tutekit

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next