SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dreamer wrote:
Are the chalets been built in the same area as the chalavans were and are there a lot more?

I hope you can picture what I'm gonna try and explain. The chalets are all built between the ablution block and the old "exhibit" building. The river lies to the west of the camp (if my directions are correct). In other words, the chalets are built on the western side of the camp - about all of them having a river view.

The caravan sites with electricity will be on the eastern side of the camp (two of the chalet vans are on that side) - furthest from the river. The area for tents is to the southern side - if you face the river, to the left of the road going down to the river.

Next to the river (down below) camping will only be allowed to the left of the road and not on the river bank itself.

Yes, I also don't really care about electricity - but on the other hand I find it quite "handy". I don't think anybody should be concerned that the character of the rest camp (or the rest of the park) will be spoiled. I think SANParks are going out of their way to ensure that Bontebok will keep its tranquil atmosphere.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:58 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks Stoffel, you explained it really well.
Look forward to a "New Look" Bontebok. A visit is long overdue, missing the sounds of the Firey Neck Nightjar.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
Does anybody know what is closed and what is open. Is it still open for day visitors for instance.

Hi BB

I don't know what the present situation is with "Die Stroom" day visitors area. I have never been there myself as you always had to use a separate entrance gate (from the N2) in the past. According to Bongani Mnisi (Park Manager), "Die Stroom" will also be upgraded - and I don't know whether they are busy with the upgrading. A new road (which will form part of the new road infra-structure once the new entrance gate is completed) can be seen going over the hills towards "Die Stroom". I'm talking under correction, but as far as I know "Die Stroom" has never been accessible from "inside" the park as we have known it all the years. The only entrance to this day visitors area has always only been with a separate road from the N2 (about right opposite the grain silos on the northern side of the N2).

The Lang Elsieskraal rest camp/picnic area is definitely closed for the present. And when it re-opens in May 2007 (estimated date) it will only be for overnight visitors.

But send an e-mail to Bongani Mnisi to inquire about the present day visitor facilities. He is a very nice and approachable person.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:38 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

On our way home from Tsitsikamma in January we thought we would 'pop in' to have a peek at how the New Bontebok Rest Camp was progressing.
Caravan in tow we proceded to the reception area. The road was in a shocking condition and am sure the only reason for this is that the construction vehicles that are probably causing the damage. This entance to the park is also to change so there is no point in maintaining the road.
The lady at reception was exceptionally chatty and helpful and said we could take a drive through the game area but unfortnately would not be able to even peep in at the restcamp as it was closed off :( Thought I could get a few photos so you could all see the development but that was not to be!)
Were advised at that stage that all seemed to be on track for opening in May, whether that is still so one would need to phone and enquire.
So looking forward to the opening and would love to fit in a long weekend before KTP in Sept.
This is definately an instance where I don't mind time flying :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:16 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Any updates, anyone ? :?
Late July/early August? :?:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Response from Bongani (who I'm trying to convince to resgister :wink: )

Quote:
Below are the prices for our new accommodation and camping; also included are further activities available in the park and the dates for actual opening after the launch on 21st September 2007.

BONTEBOK NATIONAL PARK: Langelsies Kraal Restcamp

Chalet(10)
Rate: R580,00
Base: 1 - 2
Max. Beds: 2 + dbl. Sleeper couch
Add. Adult: R120
Add. Child: R60

Camping with power pt./water (13)

Rate: R150,00
Base: 1 - 2
Max: 6 people
Add. Adult: R40
Add. Child: R20

Camping no power/river side(11)
Rate: R120,00
Base: 1 – 2
Max: 6 people

Camping no power (10)

Rate: R90,00
Base: 1 – 2
Max: 4 people

In addition to the offerings at Bontebok NP, you will be able to enjoy our walking trails ranging from hill to river trails, from which one can see African Fish eagles, clawless otters, yellow billed ducks and many more other wild animals including Bontebok, Red hartebeest, Grey Reedbuck, Bush Buck and the endangered Cape Mountain Zebra through our circular self game drive.

Our restcamp should be available for reservationsfrom 01st September 2007, however overnight visitors can only stay overnight from the 22nd September 2007.

I hope that I have answered your inquiry and please do not hesitate to get back to me should you require further information.

Good news :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi guys

Did any of you know that some the farmers who own farms bordering Bontebok NP want to form a conservation area by dropping the fences separating their land from the park.
I know about this from one of the farmers in the area. Their initial plan convert from farming to tourism via eco-friendly development and tourist accomodation such as guest lodges.

This is a long term plan and will only take place in the distant future. The plan is not official yet and is only a proposition and as far as I know it has not yet been discussed with SANParks.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I just love this place and can hardly wait for the "new" rest camp to open. These pics were taken last November.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:39 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
The sweetest grass is always in camp. 8)

Post subject: Hiking in Bontebok
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:11 pm 

Sorry for going off topic, but could anyone provide some info on hiking in Bontebok. So far I have only come across vague references to two short walks. I looking for day hikes, using Lang Elsies Kraal as base camp.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all

I think that the biggest problem with the Bontebok NP is the variety of game species present, they need a larger variety and perhaps Buffalo should be re-intrduced

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Morviid, and welcome to the forums!

I haven't visited Bontebok for quite a few years. Have a trip planned for late December to see the new camp. :D

When we stayed there years ago, we did a lovely hike from the camp along the banks of the river - not a very serious hike, but a pretty and enjoyable walk.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:27 pm 

Hi Restio

Thanks for the information. Sounds like a pleasant excursion. 8) I am sure there must be loads of bird life on the river banks.
I am planning to go in December so maybe a river walk would be a good idea. :)

I think the walk you are mentioning is the one refered to in most promotional literature on Bontebok. From the information I have gathered so far it seems that the Park is not currently catering for the more adventures hiker, but there are many excellent trails in the surrounding reserves with in a 50-70 km radius. So day hikers might use the park as a base camp for exploring the area if staying for some time.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:03 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Morviid wrote:
I am sure there must be loads of bird life on the river banks.

Cape robin chat, southern boubou, malachite sunbird, woodpecker, paradise flycatcher, spurwinged goose, black shouldered kile, to name a few I remember.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have a long "relationship" (since the mid 60's) with the little "Cinderella" of SANParks, namely Bontebok NP. Therefore I was so glad when it was announced that the rest camp is going to be upgraded. I waited patiently for more than a year for the "new" camp to be opened. However, I had a quick view of the camp during the construction phase - only after begging Bongani Mnisi (the park manager) to allow me to do so.

We camped in the "new" Lang Elsies Kraal rest camp during the past weekend. SANParks needs to be congratulated on the "new" camp. The chalets look great.

No 7 has a very nice view on the Breede River.

Some bontebok paid a visit in the camp.

I aim to submit the next bit of criticism in a positive way.

SANParks replaced the ablution facilities with a very neat new building. But I cannot help to wonder if the designer has ever showered in a cubicle the size of the new ones. It appears neat, but a 85 x 75 cm shower area for a person my size (118 kg) is just not big enough. And a dressing area of 40 x 85 cm is hopelessly too small. No wonder some people showered with open doors (and made a terrible mess of the floors).

But all in all it is a huge improvement on the old facilities. We'll be back (soon).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next