Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cape of Good Hope 2 day trail - safety?
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:38 pm 

Hi there,
My boyfriend and I would love to do the two day Cape of Good Hope hiking trail and to stay at one of the SAN Parks cottages. We would appreciate some feedback on any safety issues for two people to do this walk on their own? Are there any alternatives? What would you recommend?

Many thanks

Mle :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Welcome to the forums Mle. :yaya:

This trail is on the safer side of the park not neighbouring any towns etc so crime will not be a worry. Usually on the trail you have a guide. There is also secure parking. The hike is really beautiful. Lots of birds small fauna and antelope. And the glorious views. As far as i know you stay at the camps each night, and there are regular stops to rest and fill up with water. My tips is to have real quality hiking shoes or boots. To keep numerous water bottles, bring the necessary cutlery. The trail isnt really dangerous at all. But incase of a accident there are some first aid trained staff to help out. If you want any extra info you can phone Musa Makhubele one of the staff on 021-7809202. Im sure she can help you. The trail is really great, i hope you go on it. Its for the energetic type of people and very enjoyable. 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:18 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

A forumite, 'dianne' did a very good report on her trip around there you can have look here- Dianne's Trip Report.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:36 am 

Thanks for all that info Mark, really appreciate it. We were thinking of a two day self guided hike, a circular route of about 33K, don't think there is any climbing. I'm not sure if that's the same route that Dianne is writing about?

Being self guided and the fact that there are just the two of us id concerning us (well me actually!) from a safety perspective. We would be staying at either the Duiker or Eland family coattages. Are these quite remote?

Thanks again
MLE :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:18 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

No problem. :)

The cottages are in very good locations, as far as views are concerned. They arent that remote if you mean, far away from the info centre? But there arent many visitors that would be there or disturbing you in anyways, very tranquil. Just the sea and birdlife. Have a look at these maps, they give you a great idea of what is located and where of the whole park- maps.