Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Abalone Ban
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I refer to the news article on the SANParks home page re the arrest of the two abalone poachers caught at TMNP - Buffels Bay, Cape Point. What do other forumites think of the decision to ban the removal of abalone (I think its WCape only) from our coast.

I am in favour of the ban! What do others think?

Or am I being insensitive with regard to the communities who rely on this as a source of income.

AGULHAS REST CAMP : Sat 14 June 2014 - Mon 16 June 2014 (Our first visit!)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:33 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
It is about time. I just hope it is properly funded for effective policing.

As far as the industry goes, it is not as if there has not been fair warning.

The bleatings will go on, but I suppose there were also bleatings when the telephone was invented and it put morse code operators out of work overnight. Those with a bit of foresight should have reskilled long ago.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all

I am in favour of a ban, but I think that communities that currently have concessions should be allowed to continue to harvest limitted amounts of abalone.
I also think that just placing a ban on abalone harvesting will not solve the problem. The problem will only be solved if the ban is properly enforced. Poachers will not be stopped just by banning abalone harvesting. More effort needs to be made to stop poachers e.g. employing more personnel to partol the coast. Unless this is done abalone numbers will continue to drop regardless of the ban.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:32 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Naturelover is correct. Policing has to go hand in hand with the ban. I believe the ban is going to be postponed for 3 months. I just hope that it does not result in a feeding frenzy type of poaching.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:00 am 
naturelover wrote:
Poachers will not be stopped just by banning abalone harvesting. More effort needs to be made to stop poachers e.g. employing more personnel to partol the coast. Unless this is done abalone numbers will continue to drop regardless of the ban.

I agree with you 100%

IMHO, they are targeting the wrong people. All that is going to happen now is that the guys who harvested abalone legally and in a responsible fashion will be out of jobs and the poaching will still continue, if not increase, because this ban is going create a shortage of abalone and thus push up the price. The problem is not the guys with the concessions; the problem lies with inadequate policing.
I do not think this one was thought through properly :roll: ….and I feel sorry for the people who actually made their living out of this in the legal way. :(

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all

If the existing laws and regulations on abalone harvesting were properly enforced a ban would not be necessary. What I believe should be done is that a temporary ban be put on abalone harvesting so that abalone numbers can recover and once a sufficient recovery has been made the ban be lifted and abalone harvesting be allowed to continue but only under strict regulations regarding numbers, size, weight, season, etc.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:42 am 

Viva the ban, Viva :clap:
It should have been introduced years ago. Now at least anyone caught in possession of abalone can be charged. previously it was all to easy to conceal illegal abalone with the legal stuff. Granted we now need effective policing, but a start has been made. The problem is also often the police are unequipped to chase and arrest the poachers, expecially on the water.
However Hermanus has a special poaching court and the prosecutors do very good work there, but the system should be expanded to be more effective.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all

Abalone harvesting when properly policed and regulated poses no threat to the abalone population however I think a temporary ban to give numbers a chance to recover from over exploitation but once numbers has recovered there is no reason why abalone harvesting should not be allowed to continue at a strictly controlled rate.