Skip to Content

west coast national park - which accommodation?!

Agulhas, Bontebok, Table Mountain, Tankwa Karoo, West Coast
missechsinclair

west coast national park - which accommodation?!

Unread postby missechsinclair » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:38 am

Hi,

I'm planning a 1st trip to WCNP &wondered if anyone here had any comments on the various different options in the park - what places did people really like & why?? What would you recommend?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Emma.

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: west coast national park - which accommodation?!

Unread postby Hugh » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:42 am

Hello Emma , We always stay at Abrahamskraal a little whitwashed cottage that can sleep 6 It has two bedrooms and two showers and loos en suite a huge lounge/dining/kitchen area Outside braai inside fireplace . Basic but lovely and remote
The is also a larger cottage on the lagoon at Churchhaven and a small "camp " that is not run by Sanparks but by three ladies I believe it is very nice
There are also two houseboats on the lagoon .
God couldn't be everywhere so he made Grandmas

missechsinclair

Unread postby missechsinclair » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:01 pm

Thanks so much for your response - really appreciated! I was thinking Abrahamskraal looked like a great option, so that's made my mind up! :D

yoda
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby yoda » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:19 am

I did a day visit to the WCNP last December.
Was very worth while.
Hopefully I will get to go back and spend some more time there in the near future. And hopefully with an over night stay

bosch dassie

Unread postby bosch dassie » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:23 am

I think it really depends on the group you’re traveling with and what you want to get out of the trip. The accommodation is so diverse so you can’t really say what is better.

I’ve stayed in Abrahaamskraal which is indeed a lovely cottage, mainly because it is so privately/remotely located. The wildlife passes by and the birding is great. But is very basic. A lot of people wouldn't survive for a few days without being able to charge their cell phones (as I recall we didn’t even have proper reception there). But I personally really enjoyed Abrahaamskraal, but I also enjoy going to the Kgalagadi (which also isn't everyone's cup of tea :) ).

The Duinepos chalets are also very nice and I definitely could recommend these as well. More luxurious, but you still get the nature-feeling you want in a national park, the chalets are set up in such a way that the 'private' braai facilities are indeed private even though the chalets are close to each other. I stayed there a year or so ago and the weather was horrible that weekend and just relaxing indoors at the fireplace was great – Abrahaamskraal wouldn’t have been as pleasant. The communal braai area and swimming pool is also nice if you’re travelling with a group but still want to privacy of own chalets (rather than sharing bed/bathrooms in Abrahaamskraal).

I have only seen the houseboats but that would also be great fun, but once again something completely different... So it really depends on what you want, but it’s definitely a great park to visit no matter where you end up staying over : )

Birgitta

Unread postby Birgitta » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:44 pm

Emma,

I fully agree with Bosch Dassie. If there are only two of you, I would definitely choose Duinepos where the chalets are nicely decorated.

The houseboats had some bad feedback some years ago and the Jo-Anne Cottage is so simple, less than basic I would say, so I would not recommend it. You are not allowed to walk or drive to the beach and the houses in Churchhaven, which is totally private.

WCNP is an absolute gem, where I have seen black harriers, a huge puff adder crossing the road (and other snakes) and a caracal once. Every time I've visited Cape Town I went o WCNP for 1-2 days.

Have a great trip.

Alex Bond-Smith

Unread postby Alex Bond-Smith » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:28 am

I visit the park often as a day visitor as it is not far from home and my wife and I like to Stand Up Paddle, which we go down to Kraalbaai to do,.

I have often considered staying at Jo-Anne's beach cottage as then we could persue our sport there. However, what I want to know is, how far from the lagoon is the cottage? The website is a bit vague and just says "within walking distance" which could mean anything from a few meters to a kilometer. We would want to be able to carry our boards from the cottage to the water. They weigh around 8kg each, so anything more than 150m or so would not be feasable.

Can anyone advise?
Storms River Mouth Rest Camp 1st to 5th March 2013

Munchkin
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Munchkin » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:46 pm

I would highly recommend Duinepos Chalets. We are from the Cape but have enjoyed many a weekend at WCNP at Duinepos Chalets. Accommodation is great and the fire place inside is a welcome in cold weather. Chalets are very well equipped with everything that you might need and of a good quality too. We tend to request the Chalets on the outer skirts - ie away from the communal braai, swimming pool etc. (I think they cost more) Staff and Management are very accommodating and go the extra mile to make sure you enjoy your stay. Have never had a bad experience! :gflower:
(Munchkin = Our Persian Cat - Sadly Munchie no longer with us.)

Return to “Cape Parks”