Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Kgalagadi: Urikaruus Wilderness Camp
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:03 pm 

Urikarus siting is fantastic - has its own waterhole close to the tents - saw giraffe drinking, wildebeest, springbok from the veranda. Again accomodation great. But we (wife and I)absolutely froze at night (the kids didn't feel it) - the tents "leak" cold air. So take lots of warm clothes in winter + hot water bottles (saved us). Again, you have this area to yourself on early morning and late afternoon game drives. Saw cheetah on the way to camp.

Here are some photos - trying at least.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:37 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Ok Ok
Report will have to wait a bit longer Pic showing how the cabins are interlinked with walkways
View from Kitchen
View from Bedroom Balcony, you can see just how close the waterhole is
View from inside bedroom

This is an entance we will always take, you will realise, once you have visited here you will always return

A couple more pics showing the constant activity in the riverbed at Urikaruus

Last edited by Dotty on Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
pix resized

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:39 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
A leopard comes and drinks out of the birdbath at the ranger's hut every second or third night.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:59 pm 

hi there,

we booked urikaruus for some days in march 2007 and looking at the pictures is telling us, that this was really a good decision!
For our stay there we would like to ask some questions

1. Since we love to do wildlife photography we would like to know how far the waterhole is away from the tends at urikaruus.

2. Somewhere I red (I think), that we have to bring our own water to urikaruus - am I right?

Many thanks in advance

Rolf

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:00 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Oops, so sorry That was not how it was intended. I responded to Rolfs pm he sent me first and ran out of time to re submit on this thread.
Here it is:
Hi Rolf
What a good decision you have made to go th Urikaruus!!
Lucky, lucky you.
The waterhole is no more than 30 metres away, closer maybe. All the cabins have an excellent view. Photography will keep you busy all day there. Feeling so jealous as I type this!!!
We were in cabins No 1 and No 2. Reckon the No 1 is best in the summer months as the bedroom would have less sun in the afternoons.

Urikaruus was the only camp in the park that we drank their water. No problems at all. All the other camps we used our own water, however, I would hate to tell you not to take your own water. Maybe we were lucky at the time and the water was particually good. I would suggest that when you arrive at TR, double check with Jannie the Kgalagadi Guru.
Perhaps you should also try and reserve cabin no 1 by sending TR an email the you can check about the water. You can buy water at TR. No shop at Urikaruus so all your provisions, including wood needs to be taken along.
Hope this helps and wish you a fantastic trip with wonderful photography opportunities.
Kind Regards

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:29 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks, Dreamer, for posting such useful details It really does sound like a marvellous camp!!

@ Jannie: What chance those leopards will still be around in 2008?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:49 pm 

We stayed in tent #1 during our recent visit and I can confirm that it is indeed a fantastic little camp and comes highly recommended.
There was only 1 other occupant and they were at the opposite end so almost like having the entire camp to ourselves.
It was incredibly hot the day we were there, but didn't detract from the fantastic sighting of animals coming constantly to the WH, in fact it might have added to the numbers we saw.
The Leopard did indeed visit us during the night, calling repeatedly but we unfortunately could not pick it up with our torch and were reluctant to venture "outside" the bedroom tent.
Anyone staying there is in for a treat.

Post subject: Number 3
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:52 am 

We stayed in number 3 few days ago - the tent flap velcro at the bottom for the sleeping unit would not close down, and at night it was freezing cold (I used the extra blanket, fleece hat, thermal longjohns, thermal shirt, micro-fleece on top of it, and fleece 300 to cover my legs, and on top of it the blanket and extra blanket).

Luckily the good people of this forum warned very clearly of the temperature situation in KTP, so we came prepared (my SO is really sensitive to cold, but we got hear a fleece liner sewn from two fleece blankets you get for pennies in supermarkets, at least in Israel, so with the liner and the extra blanket and some pijama plus the fleece 300, she did not complain).

Other than Urikaruus, it wasn't too bad in KTP (we had worst days in Kruger, believe it or not!).

The water hole has a lot of activity but only the usual suspects - the resident leopard did not appear.

Few spotted hyenas showed up at night making noises, and were spot-lighted by our neighbour at #4 near the tourist assistant's cabin, sniffing for something (maybe previous visiting hyenas?).

The units themselves, at least the sleeping ones, are quite simple compared to the more luxurious units at KK and KTC.

Elad.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:56 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

About a month to go before our quick visit to Kgalagadi. Will be staying for three nights at Urikaruus. Does anybody think there's a difference between the four units and should one perhaps try to reserve a specific unit beforehand, or are they all basically the same?

Thanks

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

obelix,

All the units have a great view over the riverbed, but what i would suggest is that you try and get the accommodation across from where the guides stays for if you have predators that come and drink water there at night )In front of his place) you will at least have a great view.

Hope it helps

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Jan. Anyone perhaps knows the number of this unit?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:33 pm 

Hi Obelix,
I'm sure Jannie is referring to # 1, its at the one end and is indeed opposite the camp supervisors chalet.
I think its the best, but they are all great.