SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi: Kieliekrankie Wilderness Camp
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:00 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Hi John!

I just sent off a mail to Kagiso, and will keep an eye on it.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:13 pm 

We stayed at KK on the night of 20/11/2008.I cant comment on the renovations as this was my first time.I do have some comments:Great camp,awesome view,Great character in Willem.Close enough to two rivers so that you can stay your first night at KK instead of two rivers.Its not ideal for groups as walking between chalets after dark rather risky!Parking a bit far when you are carrying fridge etc.None of the bush camps have plugs to recharge things.I am no expert on solar power but it must be possible.Would I go again - yes only if it was just 2 of us.For a group would rather stay at Urikaruus,I did not stay at Urikaruus but was asked to deliver a radio to the assistant and had a tour around.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:26 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My SO and I stayed in KK in May this year and loved every minute of the experience. We only spent one night there and have booked again for 2 or three nights for next year.
Debbie

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:12 pm 
Guru
Guru

Regarding the enquiries about the sunroofs at Kielie Krankie: I have been asked by the Park's Tourism Manager to post that these sunroofs have been removed some time ago, and replaced by normal ceilings.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:10 am 

We were in Kielikrankie and Urikaruus this year (june) And we really loved it again. All the bushcamps are great. But Urikaruus is nr.1!! Beautifull place. Although this year we were very lucky in Kieliekrankie. Just on our second evenig and while watching the beautifull sky and the stars, suddenly Willem knocked om our door.
Willem spotted a leopard at the waterhole. Amazing evening!!

Ruud

Post subject: Kieliekrankie accomodation
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:48 pm 

I should probably put this question to the reservations office but thought I might try the forumites first - perhaps there might be someone who had a similar situation. I will be visiting KTP in April 2009 and amongst others have a 2 night booking in KK. I had to reserve 2 units since we have 2 teenage sons that will accompany us (me and my wife). Due to unforseen cicumstances one of my sons cannot come with us anymore - which is a shame. I know Sanparks are strict with the accomodation regulations in the units since they are designed for 2 people max. Is there no way I could let my son sleep in the unit with us and cancel the other one. It would be a waste if I had to keep the unit for 1 person. They are after all not of the least expensive type of accomodation available in the KTP. If I have to have the 2 units for the 3 of us, it would also be a problem since my son won't sleep in a unit alone. I could go sleep there but that would not sit well either since it would mean mom and kleinboet will have to sleep alone. They are a bit nervous sleeping in an unfenced camp. Our 1st visit to KTP and looking very much forward to it. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Kieliekrankie accomodation
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:21 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Beetle
This is a difficult one and I don't think my reply will help your situation but maybe help you to understand why SANParks are strict with this
If rules are bent then it is not fair for everyone. In the case of accomodating an extra person in the cabins it would then becomes known that this is possible and when the next request is turned down it becomes a gripe and a huge issue as to 'Why for some and not for others?"
We are going to KTP again in Sept and also sadly so , our son is not on vac then so he cannot join us. The situation is the same for us as we now have booked two units for SO and myself and our teenage daughter. Sure...a wack of money but the choice was to only go to the traditional camps ..... or pay extra for the 'specialness' of the Wilderness Camps. We chose the latter and will just 'tighten the belt' a bit because we did not want to sacrifice the truly wonderful experiences of the Wilderness camps.
A tough one to decide ...good luck and ENJOY whatever you chose to do
Kielie does have larger units than the others and if it really came down to the fact SO and kleinboet are nervous, I would snuggle up together. No rule is then broken as far as the maximum total number of guests in the camp
Only real suggestion: Don't cancel your trip because of this. Just plan another one soon to accommodate everyone

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:39 pm 

Just back from Kgalagadi... have spend one night in Kieliekrankie and it's an awesome camp, actually all wilderness camps are. The whole experience is so much better compared to the main camps. The set-up with only 8 people staying there (max.) is why the experience is so much better. We did also stay at Gharagab, Bitterpan and the Kalahari Tented Camp. Although you have to spend the cash for two units I recon the more exclusive experience is worth every penny. IMO Gharagab is one of the nicest camps, remote and only accesible with 4x4. We did see Lion at both Gharagab and Bitterpan. The guestbook at Kieliekrankie was listing a leopard drinking at the waterhole, unfortunartely we did not see any game at that camp. Will post some images at my blog soon :-)

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

@ Tongasabi
Sound like you feel the same way about these Wilderness Camps as we do
Lets hope Beetle keeps his booking and enjoys every minute of his stay

Post subject: Kieliekrankie update
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:17 pm 

Has anyone been to KK lately? The last threads had reports of problems with roofs,waterpumps,gasleaks. We are thinking of going in Sep next year as we had a wonderful trip in May to KTC, Grootkolk, Gharagab and Urikaruus and thought we should visit KK this time.I can't find any new info on the Forum regarding the camp so would appreciate any advise.Also interested to hear that one may not walk between cottages at night - is this the case even with spotlights?

Post subject: Re: Kieliekrankie update
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:44 pm 

me very curious too!! as I was able to book a night for next year June. Somebody perhaps some pictures of the new doors etc?

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:12 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We were at KK early June and occupied tents 2&3 of which the entrance gates were not too far apart-had a joint braai with our friends late afternoon but were back in our respective tents by dark.We were advised not to walk between tents at night but I don't know if it is against the Park rules.Everything worked well and we had a very pleasant stay.
Just one tip for all the tented camps-check if all the light bulbs are working when you get there so that they can be changed if needed by the camp guide/attendant-we experienced 'blown' bulbs at a couple of tented camps.Enjoy the view at KK!

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:29 am 

Thanks for the tip! When we were in Kruger we found some of the light bulbs so dim that I travelled with a few spares and will do the same in Kgalagadi.Good to hear that the tents were in good order and am looking forward to the view.Roll on next year - the bug has bitten

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:35 pm 

Hi Pamelajane,

I stayed in KK on August 9&10 (in tent #1) and we had a wonderful time. Everything worked and the tourist assistant was very friendly and responsive. What I really enjoyed and appreciated in KK that it only has 4 chalets and no other camp nearby, so it really feels as if you are (almost) alone in the wilderness. Also the view from the terrace over the waterhole is very nice, with lots of birds and occasionally something bigger like steenbok or wildcat (and according to the sighting book even a leopard sometimes).

When I return to KTP, I will definitely include KK again in my itinary si I can recommend for you to do the same.

BTW: Our neighbours also occupied 2 tents and they were allowed to walk at night from one tent to another, but using flashlights and being careful. Maybe it all depends on the assistant on duty.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:25 pm 

SO and I stayed at KK in unit No 4 on 01 & 02 September. Everything was in perfect working order and in fact we felt that this was the best stay that we had in KTP. The sense of remoteness is something very difficult to describe. I would definitely recommend this camp as a "must do" to anyone visiting KTP

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next