Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:21 am 

Can someone advise if KK is fit for all current weather conditions for the next month.

Surely paying quite a lot of money I would expect something thats rainproof and windproof.

I know its in the wild, and if I wanted that type of circumstances I would sleep in a overused tent

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:54 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Propolis, i've been to KilieKrankie twice in february and it was great. We enjoyed it very much and i will always stay there for at least one night.

But the Kgalagadi is unpredictable. I can't comment on KilieKrankie in any type of storm.

We always had sunny weather with moderate winds and no rain.

Post subject: Kieliekrankie
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:15 am 

Dear Forum Members,

Thank you for your constructive feedback regarding your stay at Kieliekrankie. And please accept our apology for only attending to your feedback now.

Your comments have been noted and forwarded to the relevant Management Team for their response and action.

Kagiso Tlhobolo
Snr Manager: Tourism Standards
SANParks

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:01 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dear Kagiso,

i've been to Kieliekrankie two weeks ago and in IMHO the renovations are gone the wrong way.

I loved Kieliekrankie and it was a "must-do-camp" at KTP for us.

Now we won't stay there again because all the good memorys are gone.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Batsman
Could you please tell us what renovations/changes had taken place from the first time you were there and so enjoyed it

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Dreamer,

everyone who wasn't in Kielie Krankie before will enjoy it. The sunset and sunrise is still the same and amazing.

But if you've been there before the renovations took place, i don't know...

They removed the star-windows in the roof and replaced the roof with a corrugated iron roof. Now it’s getting even hotter inside.
Then the waterhole which is far away, as you know, is downsized to 1/3 of the old size.
The thing that disturbed me most is that they build a big glass window in front of the sleeping area with only one small glass door to the balcony and some small glass flaps. You don’t get fresh air at night anymore.
On top of that the water pump was broken and we had no water at all. But that's African wilderness.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:51 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Batsman
We have only been to KK once, for one night and that was in Sept 07. The temp was moderate so were lucky to not experience any heat discomfort.
Awesome sunsets as you say and saw a large herd of Eland as well as spotted Hyaena drinking at the waterhole.
Not sure if the reduction in size of the waterhole you mention had already taken place or if it was since then.
Looking forward to your trip report
A couple of KTP reports are all coming to an end now : , so yours will be most welcome

Post subject: Re: KielieKrankie - What were they thinking?
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:51 pm 

jaykay wrote:

There is a major design problem with all the units. In their wisdom, the designers put a large (at least 2 x 1 metres) sunroof above the beds! I suppose the idea was to provide natural light, but the effect is that the sun shines directly into the unit from about 10h00-15h00 eliminating all shade. I have a new microwave oven at home which uses SolarDome light technology to grill food. The sunroof has the same effect.

So, after you come back from your early morning drive and need to find a shady spot to relax before going out later in the afternoon again, you are confined to either the bathroom or the kitchen as the bedroom is as hot as an oven and the stoep is still in the sun. What were they thinking???

SANParks, please, please, please cover the sunroof. It serves no beneficial purpose.

I would love to stay longer in KielieKrankie, but unless something is done about the sunroof, it remains best for overnight stops only.

Hi Batsman,

Kindly accept my apology for only getting back to you now.

I will communicate you constructive feedback to Kgalagadi Park Management for their information and hope that they will come up with a solution that will cater for everybody where possible.

Thanks

Kagiso

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:21 pm 

I need some help here please. We visit the KTP next year (1st time)and among others will spend 2 nights at Kieliekrankie. I know it is unfenced and predators are often spotted close by.
I had to book two units since the accomodation is for 2 people only and our boys (13 and 16) will also be with us.
The obvious thing to do for the evening meal is to have a braai and in our case have some quality family time.
My question is this:How do I get my boys safely to their unit after dark? I've seen somewhere some of the units are connected but I'm not sure this is the case at Kieliekrankie. If my memory serve me correct it is at Urikaruus.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Beetle that's no problem at all. We've done the same often at KK. The units aren't to far away from another. Just take a torch and watch out carefully in darkness.

Just be aware that you've closed the metal gate in front of your unit properly when you leave.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:45 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Batsman is correct..just check carefully and watch where you put your feet. Otherwise have a great time !!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:30 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Beetle
I'm so green you are off to KTP!!
Batsman and MN have reassured you re the units.
This is great for the children to have their own accomodation. Our son and daughter were the same age as yours now and they just LOVED every minute of it!!
What we do.... we use the childrens sleeping unit as the family unit so it's just a quick oneway walk for us back to our unit after dark Also, we find the use of the LED head torches very handy in KTP.
Enjoy

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:25 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Award: Travel tale of the Year - Other Parks (2012)
That's very sharp Michele Beetle, these pics may give you a better idea
ImageImage

Christmas Trees in the Kalahari May 2012

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=62684

and

Kalahari Reflections March 2014

Post subject: Re: Kieliekrankie
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:53 pm 

We stayed at Kieliekrankie last month and we had dinner next door then walked back to our cabin. It was a little scary in the dark but the metal gates that are before your front door do help you feel a little safer once you have reached them. The only problem was we hadn't shut the front door properly and when we got there it was wide open (very windy night)! We searched the whole place to make sure nothing had got in before going to bed, nothing large could have got past the metal gates but a naughty jackel could have easily snuck in.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:00 pm 

There has not been any posting about this Wilderness camp in the Kgalagadi since March. There was a lot of disatisfaction about the renovations, particularly the roof over the units, which evidently operated like a microwave. A representative of Sanparks promised to look into the matter and report back, which he appears not to have done (at least not under the relevant topic)

Can anyone comment on the current status at this camp?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next